Hole in the Head of my Ranchu

Another 10 days have past....... :cry:cry1:please

dykgua.png

could you tell us what actions you've taken since we last talked? I think the primary two suggestions at this point were the treatment that cynthia had suggested and surgery. I'm so sorry he is not doing well :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(, Anti-Bac for 10 days, dosage says 1/2 piece of it, 2 times a day, but after feeding it for a couple of days, the stench in his QT reeks, and his waste was white & stringy so I gave him smaller dosages, and I did 100% WC everyday...

I can't afford to buy more antidotes, and I don't have everything I need for the surgery

Cry cry cry

:hug I'm sorry your fish isn't looking any better. :hug You are trying and doing what you can.

Helen is pretty amazing and I don't think I'd be able to do what she does for her sick fish either. Your 100% water changes are a really good thing.

Somehow, your Anti-bac don't seems to be working. It has gone very large and I can see it's still very angry. Imo. surgery is not an option now. You have to try something drastic here. Leaving it like that also not an option.

One last short. Can you raise salt to 0.5%? Do it at two intervals (0.25% each) over 12hrs (no time to add 0.1% every 12hrs). It's safe I usually do it at one go at 0.50%. Then raise temp to 86F with good aeration. (make sure water temp equalize during w/cs). If you have HP. PP, Iodine or any oilment for wounds just apply it with a q-tip twice a day for two days. Try this and post pic please. Good luck.

Edited by RanchuJeff

I would be hesitant to start something new as suggested by Ranchujeff without a mods okay. Only because you had posted this in the dx thread for a mod to see and guide you in your time of need. And please don't take this the wrong way Ranchujeff. I don't know your experience with fish. You could very well be correct. I don't know.

I would be hesitant to start something new as suggested by Ranchujeff without a mods okay. Only because you had posted this in the dx thread for a mod to see and guide you in your time of need. And please don't take this the wrong way Ranchujeff. I don't know your experience with fish. You could very well be correct. I don't know.

Thanks for watching out :) Jeff is one of our very experienced members here, as he is involved in some pretty extensive breeding of goldfish etc. I know that he is experienced with wen issues (he has actually helped me out in the past ;) ), so I trust his opinion in this situation.

Raechelle, I would go ahead and follow Jeff's instructions if you are able. I don't think there are many options at this point :( You are really doing a great job :hug

Thanks Tithra for your providing additional assurance for Raechelle. My methods may sound harsh and also shocking at times but these are all proven methods used by experts and I've adopted and practiced.

Using high heat (86F) and salt 0.5% in conjunction to this treatment (also for bacterial related problems, ext & int.) is beneficial as it will kill most surface bacteria and help healing faster. Also Raechelle may not have fed enough Anti-Bac due to her concern about the poop. It's normal for sick fish to produce abnormal poop during treatment.

Just for some reference, here is the blog of one of the masters that I greatly admire.

http://www.goldfishartquatics.blogspot.sg/

I don't know that I would agree that the heat kills the bacteria, Jeff. Some (actually a lot) bacteria love it that warm, or even warmer.

If it's just warm then they will multiply like crazy. I'm not a scientist but I tend to agree that treatment using high temp plus salt will kill most bacteria as shown by the results from my past treatments, if only I can find that German research article on discus.

I don't know that I would agree that the heat kills the bacteria, Jeff. Some (actually a lot) bacteria love it that warm, or even warmer.

If it's just warm then they will multiply like crazy. I'm not a scientist but I tend to agree that treatment using high temp plus salt will kill most bacteria as shown by the results from my past treatments, if only I can find that German research article on discus.

Were you able to determine that bacteria were the primary cause for disease in your fish? I too am at the opinion that increasing the temperature to 30C is not going to kill off bacteria; more so still encourage the growth. Considering most bacteria (in term, mesophilic bacteria) will grow in temperatures ranging from 10C up to and past 40C, you're really not doing anything bar continue providing ideal, if not more ideal conditions for bacteria to grow.

Jeff, I just wanted to say that I am not disputing the high temp as a treatment, if that is what has worked.

I am just saying that the reason the higher temp works is probably not because it kills off bacteria. :)

Thanks for watching out :) Jeff is one of our very experienced members here, as he is involved in some pretty extensive breeding of goldfish etc. I know that he is experienced with wen issues (he has actually helped me out in the past ;) ), so I trust his opinion in this situation.

Raechelle, I would go ahead and follow Jeff's instructions if you are able. I don't think there are many options at this point :( You are really doing a great job :hug

Thanks tithra for letting me know. I hope you didn't take offense Jeff. I don't think I've seen you on here,... much. I'm glad to meet you and that is wonderful that you know a lot regarding our wonderful goldfish.

Raechelle, I hope your fish is doing as well as can be.

I am sorry Raechelle for creating a sidetrack to your post but I'm only trying to help. Have you been doing anything since?

Incidentally my last suggestion is also practice by those koi people (just check it out on koi websites) and I believe there are merits to it otherwise why do they published it.