Hole in the Head of my Ranchu

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ulcer has worsened during the time he's been on Medi-Gold, then this potent med is not working. :(

That's actually very bad news, and I suspect part of the reason for the failure is that the ulcer is very deep inside the wen, where without much circulation, drug delivery is very much impeded.

What other treatments do you have at your disposal? We can try a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn 2, but I have to be honest and say that the prognosis is not a good one. Both tithra and I have had orandas with deep wen ulcers, and treatment was only marginally successful. The same is true with other people, I'm afraid.

Should I stop feeding Medi-Gold?
I don't have Maracyn meds. Other than Medi-Gold, I do obtain Metro-Med, and Anti-bacterial Rx; awhile ago the LFS manager offered and recommended me this. It is kept frozen, & it is used to treat "Infections caused by bacteria, like "hole in the head", PopEye, Hexamita, Fin & Tail Rot, Septicemia, Dropsy, Ulcers, Mouth Fungus, and many others."

Edited by RaechelleBalonkita

I think you should stop Medi-Gold. The problem is that none of the other meds are going to be any good, either. Let me discuss this with tithra, and we will get back to you.

That's really not good. Prolong treatment will make it worse and your fish will loose energy and become weaker. Wen ulcer are the most difficult to treat with food based medicine unlike other parts of their body. Are you brave enough to attempt surgery? just like a wen trimming surgery but need to go as deep as necessary. Just sedate, cut off all the rotted areas, apply hp and treat with that Anti-bacterial Rx. Wen tissues are easy to grow back. Better hurry and decide, not much time left. Good luck.

Jeff, the anti-bac is not a topical. It's frozen food that's laced with kanamycin and metronidazole.

I'm glad you chimed in. :)

Opps, my bad. You guys got lots of options concerning using anti-bac medicines in baths like Oxolinic Acid powder for example. If nothing else is available as an emergency then no choice have to use Medi Gold or Anti- Bac Rx.

Edited by RanchuJeff

I can't cut it off, No question about it ... I don't have the guts.

EastCoastRanchu commented on my page,

"Your fish has an obvious HITH (Hole in the Head). If it was an ordinary ulcer the antibiotic food should've healed it by now. Every fishkeeper has their own way of treating this disease that works for them. I will share my treatment of choice. I swear by it: Nitrofuracin Green from fishyfarmacy.com Metronidazole powder from angelsplus.com I use both in COMBO. Results in a matter of days. Treatment (7-10days). The meds aren't cheap. But you've invested so much on your ranchu and..."

Honestly I don't know what to do. I'm not going to perform surgery, I barely try to hold my fish when necessary to prevent it from having stress. Especially now, I can't imagine how everyday its been enduring. Someone tell me the exact process I need to go through.

Edited by RaechelleBalonkita

Since Cynthia thinks it will work, why don't you try it? Or you can ask her about Metro-Meds, which should have the same activity as the nitrofuracin + metro. Or your anti-bac food, which is metronidazole and kanamycin. Perhaps you will have better luck than I did. Having a hole in the head of a ranchu or an oranda doesn't immediately narrow it down to HITH, which is a hexamita infection. Most of the time, it's a bacterial infection, of which there are many different kinds. :(

Cynthia, I don't know if you saw Rachelle's ranchu's problem here, or elsewhere, but if you see it here on the forum, I would love it if the next time you have some additional insights into fish D&D, please comment in the individual threads, as Jeff did. We'd love to hear from you, and it's really hard to have a discussion when we are not all on the same page. If Rachelle had not brought your comment to our attention, we would not have known about it, and she would have been torn about what to do. Having a lot of contributions by people with actual experience is a great thing, and one that I would dearly love to see you participate in. Thank you! :)

I find this rather confusing, when someone said HITH, I usually think they are referring to tropical fish like cichlid or the like. Those like Alex mentioned is a hexamita infection. For a goldfish with headgrowth we usually call it wen or head ulcer, very similar to body ulcer and the culprit is usually a form of fresh eating bacteria which are rather difficult to eradicate.

I know in Thailand the fish farmers preferred surgery as first choice and they have 80% success. If you applied the wrong or ineffective technique the affected fish will slowly withered away and die. Tell tale will be bottom sitting first then float to top motionless.

• Supporter

i don't belive it's HITH.. HITH either in wenned or non wenned fish shows very differently. i have had experiences with both wenned & non wenned fish where it concerns HITH, none of which displayed the rotting purple like deterioration of a typical ulcer. i am almost certain that this is a nasty ulcer that has formed. HITH presents as a small white bump growth on the head which can be misconstruded as a wen spot if a fish has a wen. the moment that pops open, the hole is actually quite clean as the matter within is dissolved into a clear liquid and just oozes out unnoticed. also, the hole is quite small and it actally looks like a pin prick no matter the size of the opening.

i support Jeff's methods of surgery.. to the OP, if you are willing, we will be with you every step of the way.. even on skype, you have my word. (it's not as difficult as you may think with the help of those in the know) otherwise, we're going to have to find something fast that will work quickly to stop or slow the process.

good luck :heart

I'm so sorry to see the medi gold hasn't worked :( wen issues can unfortunately be very difficult to treat.

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do. Both Cynthia and Jeff have given you good possible options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Supporter

i will allow others to lead you for meds since i am not in the US, i have limited knowledge for what you have availalbe to you with regards to ulcers.

best of luck with treatments :)

Thank you for showing me Helen! Hmmm... I don't have those utilities.. Looks difficult but maybe it's just time-consuming. The whole time watching I felt nervous for you !

I'm going with anti- bac. When should I start it?

If anti-bac is the only thing you got on hand, then I think you should start with it asap. Have you done a deep cleaning with HP on that wound yet? If will be beneficial to take out all the dead tissues with a Q-tip dipped into HP or Betadine or diluted Iodine. Do only once.

• 2 weeks later...