I've Got A Silly Question...

Guest susong

Guest susong

Hey hey!

Nibbles, who has been diagnosed with bacterial infection and ich/protozoan infestation has been salt dipped, and moved to a hospital tank for treatment. Things are going well so far. :D

What do I do with her main tank? Will the parasites survive there, so that when I heal her and put her back in, she'll get re-infested? They sole remaining occupant of the tank is Sly, the pleco. I moved Pebbles, the other goldie to the hospital tank too, so I can treat both fish.

Guest Hutchtaz

Good question! I am curious to see what everyone else thinks. I just treated my main tank with a course of Tetracycline since I just had a case of dropsy. I am hoping that will kill any bad bugs in my tank.

Did you salt the main tank? I think that might kill any bad parasites, but I don't know. Plus, don't parasites have to have something to feed off of. So maybe taking the 2 goldies out of the tank killed the remaining parasites because it eliminates their food source. This is all speculation, of course.

Oh, yeah, most definetely the Ich will still be in the main tank. It might not be visible anymore, but the eggs will linger in it. You can either add aquarium, rock or solar salt, not cooking salt, into the tank at a rate of 1 tbsp per 5 gl, waiting 12 hours, add the same rate again, wait 12 more hours, then again. Or you can get Ich medication like Rid Ich, QuickCure and put that in the tank as discribed on the package. I would treat the fish and the tank for at least 6 more days after the spots have disappeared, and when you do a water change, vaccuum the floor off good, since eggs most likely are there.

Guest tooterfish

you may want to move the pleco before salting though, or double check, i want to say they are LESS tolerant to the salt than goldfish.

Archived