Bright red gills showing on big black moor goldfish

First: sorry I cant do the copy and past info. I am just learning how to do water tests and don't understand them yet.

I change the water very infrequently and only 20 percent of it. BUT right now all my tanks are newly re-set up with aquasafe, quickstart, and aquarium salts.

I don't know much about goldfish, I'm new to the more refined ways of caring for them having only had them as a little kid years and years ago. I can't say about the behavior whats normal and whats not.

OK. What is going on is: I just bought a big black moor (I think) goldfish because I felt bad for it. It has some sort of problem with its gills (mostly on one side) It is like the flap over the gills is pulled back and they are hanging out bright red with some sort of necrosis going on maybe?

In a 20 gallon tank with bubbler.

Treatment includes feeding boiled peas to flush digestive tract, givin API General Cure to the fish incase of parasites, putting in Aquarium Salts.

The tank in general has been treated with Aquasafe and quickstart.

This is a NEW fish. OLD 20 gallon tank.

I feed my fish boiled peas one time a day. (for the next few days, then I will move back to feeding it flakes mixed with water).

It is the only fish and it is at least 3 inches long.

VIDEO OF THIS: (Shown in a betta bowl for closer viewing)

*see starting at 10 secounds where the gills on the one side are visable.

Photo: http://sta.sh/02dgbq5zic8g

I'm sorry I'm inexperienced and probably doing everything wrong but I'm really trying and really willing to learn more and do better so please relax, give me a break, and give me a chance to do things better/right.

I'm sorry your fish isn't feeling so well. Do you currently have a drop test kit at home? If so, have no fear! We'll walk you through how to use it. Knowing those parameters is going to be crucial to getting your new friend on the mend. If not, I like to order my API Master Kits on Amazon, as they're usually the cheapest way to get them. Having a kH and gH test wouldn't be a bad idea either, as it will give us a really well-rounded view of what's going on in the water.

Don't worry about us; you're among friends here. Most of us had poor setups to start, myself included. There's an appalling amount of misinformation out there, and it's tough to not get lost, while you're still getting your footing. Even seasoned fish keepers are still learning, so never feel scared to ask for help. :bighug

Welcome to Kokos; we're so glad to have you.

I don't have any sort of test kit right at the moment. I'm 100% broke after having bought the fish meds. (I don't get paid till the 1st) :( I hope its ok not to test till then. I'll get what your reccomending when I can. :)

Thanks for the welcome too! :) I was just concerned because I got snaped at somewhere else for stating my situation. :P

You're in the right place! Like yafashelli said, most of us started out just like you :D No judgments here! Welcome!

Even with your moor's little unique bit, he is still GORGEOUS!!! I have such a weakness for black moors. Love 'em.

Hi Elaine!

It was lovely of you to bring home a fish in need. That was how I ended up with mine too.

Do you have a filter in the tank, or only an air pump and air stone (or something of the like) to produce bubbles?

A filter and a water test kit are both going to be very important to get your fish healthy and keep them that way. If you're in the US and would feel comfortable with it, I could order them from amazon with next day shipping (if its available).

Thank you! :)

You should see my prize goldfish. :)http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/204/a/a/stay_gold___the_gold_goldfish___11_by_elaineselenestock-d6ettma.jpg

I couldn't beleive it when I saw a goldfish that was REALLY GOLD in color. Not even lemon yellow. Just GOLD. :) Then this big black moor had gold on him too and then with the problem? I felt soo attached to it at once I had to get it and nurture it better. :) I also have a golden colored commet as well.

I have an airstone in his tank but not a filter. :( I could bairly afford his medications. I'm doing frequent water changes right this moment to make up for not having a filter and curing the water every time with the general cure, aquasafe, and quickstart. I hope that just untill my next paycheck this will work?

Another great source of online fish supplies is our sponsor Tasty Worms. Chris has lightning fast shipping, and great prices, too. :)

While you're waiting for your paycheck, could you please answer the rest of the questions at the top of the page? It will really help us to help you. :)

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

This can be quite an expensive hobby if you let it! Classifieds, like Craigslist, are AWESOME for finding lightly used, exceptionally discounted fishkeeping supplies. Not great for food, meds, or anything perishable of course, but air pumps, lighting, filters, even full setups with tanks and stands show up there a lot!

OK here goes:

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) Unknown
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) Unknown
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) Unknown
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) Unknown
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) Unknown
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) Unknown
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Unknown
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Unknown
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Haven't tested.
  • * Water temperature? Room temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons running for months but recently changed out.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No filter currently only a bubbler
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Recently every day 20%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? See above.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 and he is over 3 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe, Quick start, aquarium salt.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes or boiled peas, Once a day for 2 minutes
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? It is new
  • * Any medications added to the tank? YES, API General Cure Powder
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Fish is new, tank was recently throughly cleaned. Has aquarium salt, API general Cure, Quickstart, Aquasafe. General Cure for 2 days now, the rest for about a month? Only had fish for 3 days.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Swolen red gills MOSTLY on one side of its body.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? I have no idea if the behaviors are normal or not.

Thank you all, everyone is being soo helpful and nice. :)

I'm still pretty new to goldfish as well so I'm not sure. If some more experienced people think the couple days will make a difference, I'd be more than willing to get the supplies for you.

Thank you, that is a really kind offer.

For right now I think all we can advise is to increase the water changes to daily. Keep them at 20% only.

Once you get the water test kit we will be able to adjust that. I can't really confirm any swelling from the gills but they look like a normal colour so I want you to know I don't think there is any necropsy going on.

I also want to address the open gill flap. This is a birth or fry defect that can happen. It is called an out turned operculum (or open gill flap) and it doesn't bother the fish at all. Just make sure there isn't anything sharp in the eventual tank that the fish could injure itself on. (That is a warning for any goldfish really)

Finally if you are comfortable you CAN go to a local pet shop. They will test your numbers for free. They have a bad habit though of just saying 'fine' or'good' when we need actual numbers so prepared to push for the exact numbers. Write them down and report back. You will want to take a sample of your tank water and your tap water if you choose to do this. If you aren't comfortable with that we can wait until you are able to purchase the drops (strips are inaccurate and a waste of money)

Prime or Amquel plus detoxifies ammonia which in this scenario is unknown. A small bottle is quite cheap so when you get a chance to pick that unit will also benefit your fish. :) beautiful new moor and I think after some time in quarantine he will really thrive in your care

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

For right now I think all we can advise is to increase the water changes to daily. Keep them at 20% only.

Once you get the water test kit we will be able to adjust that. I can't really confirm any swelling from the gills but they look like a normal colour so I want you to know I don't think there is any necropsy going on.

I also want to address the open gill flap. This is a birth or fry defect that can happen. It is called an out turned operculum (or open gill flap) and it doesn't bother the fish at all. Just make sure there isn't anything sharp in the eventual tank that the fish could injure itself on. (That is a warning for any goldfish really)

Finally if you are comfortable you CAN go to a local pet shop. They will test your numbers for free. They have a bad habit though of just saying 'fine' or'good' when we need actual numbers so prepared to push for the exact numbers. Write them down and report back. You will want to take a sample of your tank water and your tap water if you choose to do this. If you aren't comfortable with that we can wait until you are able to purchase the drops (strips are inaccurate and a waste of money)

Prime or Amquel plus detoxifies ammonia which in this scenario is unknown. A small bottle is quite cheap so when you get a chance to pick that unit will also benefit your fish. :) beautiful new moor and I think after some time in quarantine he will really thrive in your care

Una, I'm not familiar with "General Cure". She currently has that, and I believe she has salt in the tank. Do you think the salt is a good idea, if we're only changing 20% a day, in unPrimed water?

Elaine, do you have the tank salted, and if so, how much?

Thank you! :) How long do you think of a quarintine is nessessary?

Elaine, do you have the tank salted, and if so, how much?

I have salt in the tank. THe directons sand one round teaspoon for ever 10 gallons. SO I instead put two flattened teaspoons in... Petco told me they do the salt for their tanks... so I tried it. :P

Active Ingredients:
250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per packet.

Directions for use: For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration. For each 10 gallons (38L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. This package treats up to 100 gallons. Two doses required for full course of treatment.

(from: http://www.petguys.com/-317163160150.html )

The main questions would be: How much salt do you have in?

Do you have carbon in your filter?

How long have you been using General Cure?

From my understanding the prazipro concentraion of praziquantel is 2.5mg/L I don't think this product has that much. As long as she feeds minimally she should be able to complete the treatment (hopefully this will alleviate any issues to get you over the purchasing hump) You may also follow the water change schedule on the generalcure packet.

Your salt is at 0.1% until we know the water conditions from the tests, can you not raise it and keep it at that level?

Active Ingredients:

250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per packet.

Directions for use: For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration. For each 10 gallons (38L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. This package treats up to 100 gallons. Two doses required for full course of treatment.

(from: http://www.petguys.com/-317163160150.html )

The main questions would be: How much salt do you have in?

Do you have carbon in your filter?

How long have you been using General Cure?

From my understanding the prazipro concentraion of praziquantel is 2.5mg/L I don't think this product has that much. As long as she feeds minimally she should be able to complete the treatment (hopefully this will alleviate any issues to get you over the purchasing hump) You may also follow the water change schedule on the generalcure packet.

Your salt is at 0.1% until we know the water conditions from the tests, can you not raise it and keep it at that level?

The tank is unfiltered, as of now, and has only a bubbler in it. :)

• 3 weeks later...