Feeding Schedule Help :)

Mikey

:hi I was wondering if

Someone could help me with a great feeding schedule. :). I will have 3 Goldies in my 55 gallon. They are between 12-17 grams. I have Pro-Gold, Omega One, Hikari Lionhead (thanks Jenna :teehee), peas, bloodworms, brine shrimp, repashy Soilent green and super green. I could get other veggies/food if needed :).

(Merlin, BB, Puff)

What size lionhead pellets should I get? 3.5

Ounce or maybe 12.3? I don't know.

Edited by mikeydude319

I know that goldfish are supposed to get 2% of their body weight in food per day, max. So you're going to want to figure out about what that would be (I would just do 2% of 45g, rather than figure it out individually).

Tithra made a wonderful post of food weights by brand that's really helpful, here.

I don't know much about individual foods but I hope this helps a bit, at least!

For growth, 1% of their body weight is all they will need, and you can even go down to 0.5% when they start to slow down in growth. I probably wouldn't feed 2% of their body weight, mainly because that is quite a lot of food.

You don't need much variety, so you don't necessarily need to feed anymore than one of the things you have on the list (with exceptions to the veggies and proteins). Soilent green or even a half/half mixture of the soilent and spawn can definitely be fed as a staple if you wish, same goes with the pellet formulas you have. You can even mix around the ratios and add in some bloodworms in... completely your preference.

If they're young goldfish, I'd personally opt for the gel foods. You definitely do not need that many different foods for three goldfish, so save yourself some money

It's not just the amount of food, the number of times you feed a day. Feeding 6 times daily is much better than 3, and is most definitely way better than 1.

Remember though that feeding once or six times a day, the amount of food should not increase because you are feeding more. 0.5%, or 1%, is for the entire day. :)

Shoot. Sorry for the bad information...That was what someone on here told me, but I don't remember which thread. :-/

It's not bad information. With gel foods, you may have to go that high, but it's not a good idea just to jump into 2% right away. :)

I'm pretty sure the 2% quote was for gel food, but keep in mind, you'd have to factor in the other food that you'd be feeding as well. You certainly wouldn't want to do 2% gel food on top of pellets.

I am so confused on how to do this. So I should only be using gel food? Or gel food and pellets? And how do I calculate how much food Needs to be fed during the day?

I just had all of the food except for the lionhead which I was going to order. I guess I shouldn't? And how should I prepare the gel food? Do I mix anything in with the repashy?

no, feed what you want! I just said you could feed any of the pellets or gel foods as a staple if you wanted to

Weigh the fish, then calculate 1% of their body weight, then weigh the food you want to feed, or weigh several foods with the ratio you want to feed to make up 1% total.

I'd save your money, instead of buying the lionhead. Use what you have first otherwise your just building up a large stock of fish food you don't need. You can mix in bloodworms if you want into the repashy gel foods, but it means you need to play with the water to dry ratio

okay, I have about 50 grams in my tank so I multiply it by .1, correct? If so, that means I would be 5 grams 6x a day? And do 2% for gel food?

Edited by mikeydude319