Sign in to follow this  
LauraThe3xplora

female ryukin floating tail up

I have a suspicion it won't even make it till the end of 2014. :rofl

I gave everybody just a little tiny bit of gel food today and I walked by the tank to see Snowflake floating with her bum up. Does this just mean she's too sensitive to the gel food and the problem will be fixed with the Hikari?

I don't know that the problem will be fixed with Hikari (you may have to try several until you find the right food), but it does appear that the gel food is off the menu. :(

I don't know that the problem will be fixed with Hikari (you may have to try several until you find the right food), but it does appear that the gel food is off the menu. :(

I'm not sure why she's so sensitive to it all of a sudden. I tried just feeding brine shrimp today and she seems fine. Would it be better to feed the gel food anyway or just feed bloodworms and brine shrimp until the Hikari gets here?

Do bloodworms and other frozen things, and red leaf lettuce, unblanched. :)

Do bloodworms and other frozen things, and red leaf lettuce, unblanched. :)

Ok, I'll try that. The Hikari should be here any day! Out of curiosity, why unblanched red leaf lettuce?

Because it's the easiest way to get some leafy greens into the fish. It's so soft you don't even have to blanch it first.

I figured the easier we make it, the better for everyone. :rofl

Because it's the easiest way to get some leafy greens into the fish. It's so soft you don't even have to blanch it first.

I figured the easier we make it, the better for everyone. :rofl

Oh I see. Kind of off-topic, but is it beneficial to feed my fish greens all the time or not really? I've been reading mixed information :(

Oh, I think it's beneficial for sure, because it really can help keeping things moving along, AND it keeps the fish from being "hungry" all the time. They actually don't need that much pellet food at all, but that little amount may not make them feel satiated.

Oh, I think it's beneficial for sure, because it really can help keeping things moving along, AND it keeps the fish from being "hungry" all the time. They actually don't need that much pellet food at all, but that little amount may not make them feel satiated.

That would probably be nice since they will have less-full tummies after switching from the gel food. And I like that red-leaf doesn't have to be cooked! I think they get a kick out of munching on greens all night, too :)

Yup. It gives them something to do, and taps into their foraging behaviors perfectly. :)

My Hikari came today! My poor fish didn't know what to do with those tiny pellets. They sink faster than we expected! And poor Snowflake couldn't swim to the bottom fast enough to catch them :cry But hopefully these will work out :)

Snowflake is still able to get to the bottom, yes?

Snowflake is still able to get to the bottom, yes?

With some effort, yes. She's floating a little today even though all she ate was some bloodworms.

Let's eliminate that, and feed her ONLY leafy greens for the next day or two please.

Let's eliminate that, and feed her ONLY leafy greens for the next day or two please.

Ok. Will the whole tank be ok on only leafy greens?

Surely they will be! :D

Surely they will be! :D

Alrighty. I'm afraid Snowflake has become my problem child with swim bladder problems :cry

I'm so sorry :(

I know that this is not the most pleasant thing to read, but it is somewhat of a sad reality that we will all have one or more of these problem children, during our goldfish keeping tenure.

I'm so sorry :(

I know that this is not the most pleasant thing to read, but it is somewhat of a sad reality that we will all have one or more of these problem children, during our goldfish keeping tenure.

It's hard because I feel like I'm failing her, but I guess I can only do so much for her :(

This thread alone shows that you are by no means failing her. :hug

How is she doing? When you get a chance, would you upload a video of her for me, please? Thank you.

This thread alone shows that you are by no means failing her. :hug

How is she doing? When you get a chance, would you upload a video of her for me, please? Thank you.

She's doing better. I tried a wee bit of pellets today and she was fine. She still seems to be near the top a lot but it didn't look difficult to swim down like before. I will work on the video tomorrow :)

For now, I would like you to feed enough pellets to last only for about 30 seconds. Do this no more than 3 times a day, until she has gotten all, or almost all, her normal posture back.

For now, I would like you to feed enough pellets to last only for about 30 seconds. Do this no more than 3 times a day, until she has gotten all, or almost all, her normal posture back.

Ok, I will try that :)

Update: Snowflake seems to be doing well with the new pellets. She doesn't float at all until at night, when she just hangs at the top with her bottom up. Definitely better than before, when she would try to swim down during the day and couldn't reach the bottom :)