• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) ​0

• * Nitrate level(Tap) ​0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 KH107 GH140
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4 KH70 GH140
  • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 73*F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60gal, ~4months
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2x AC 70
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 60-70%
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 7/24, 75%
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3. 2x2.5in, 1x5in
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Alex's gel food 2x daily, alternate bloodworms and brine shrimp 1x daily
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
    • * Any medications added to the tank? leftover Prazi and salt from last round of treatment
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 8 rounds of Prazi+salt for 2 fish, 3 for the other (just finished)
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Snowflake floating tail up

• This is the second incident where I've caught Snowflake floating at nighttime. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and swims away when I approach the tank, but I can see swimming downwards is hard work (see video). I fed everyone peas tonight in case she was constipated (she is a ryukin after all). Her poop is ~1.5in long, green and thin. I'm concerned because 1. she was kept in a 10gal with other fish for a few months and got floaty, and 2. I just read a post about females having trouble releasing eggs and I don't know how soon that can be a possible problem.

Video is taking forever to upload so I will add it in another post :)

Oh poor girl. I hope whatever treatment is suggested by a mod she get's to feeling good real fast. :hug

Oh poor girl. I hope whatever treatment is suggested by a mod she get's to feeling good real fast. :hug

Thanks, Cheryl :) She seems pretty oblivious, but I fear she may have SBD :yikes

Here's the video. Sorry it's lame because the lights were off and she was trying really hard to convince me that she's not floaty!

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag7/laurathe3xplora/50CB949E-5687-4191-8E80-AFF33FD8DCD7-23127-00000DB1D8CCB040_zps362b248a.mp4

What a beautiful fish!

Are the bloodworms and brine shrimp frozen or freeze dried?

Is she mainly like this shortly after eating? How long does each incident last?

What a beautiful fish!

Are the bloodworms and brine shrimp frozen or freeze dried?

Is she mainly like this shortly after eating? How long does each incident last?

Thank you :) they're frozen. It doesn't really seem to be food-related. She only does this at night sometimes, never during the day where most if the feeding is. I haven't changed the food any. Last time I tested nitrates and they were 30-40 so I did a water change the next day, thinking she was just sensitive to nitrates and it was fixed. This is the first night for this incident. Sorry I don't really have an answer for how long it lasts. At least 1 night?

This usually happens to my fish after feeding a bit too much gel food. I usually fast a day...I hope she feels better :heart

Edited by teleSC

This usually happens to my fish after feeding a bit too much gel food. I usually fast a day...I hope she feels better :heart

Ok, maybe that's all it is. I hope so! I'll see what others say tomorrow :)

I think a day of fasting is a good idea. Lets see what happens when you do that. :)

I think a day of fasting is a good idea. Lets see what happens when you do that. :)

Ok, I will try fasting everybody tomorrow and see :)

Hi Laura,

Despite the fact that I think it's super awesome that you are using a gel food recipe based on something I wrote, I think that this stage of the ryukin's life, you are better off with a really good pellet. Pellets usually contain 4-5 times the nutritional value as the gels, and so you can feed a lot less on a per weight basis, which may/should help with this little bit of floatiness. In addition, Jared (jmetzger72) and I have found that at this size, 1-1.5mm pellets are best, and also go a long way to help fix these buoyancy issues. It will help tremendously when you've switched substrates, because then you don't have to worry about the food just falling through the crevices and becoming unreachable to the fish.

Let's fast her for two days. Then, after the fast, cut down the amount of gel food you are feeding to half. :)

Hi Laura,

Despite the fact that I think it's super awesome that you are using a gel food recipe based on something I wrote, I think that this stage of the ryukin's life, you are better off with a really good pellet. Pellets usually contain 4-5 times the nutritional value as the gels, and so you can feed a lot less on a per weight basis, which may/should help with this little bit of floatiness. In addition, Jared (jmetzger72) and I have found that at this size, 1-1.5mm pellets are best, and also go a long way to help fix these buoyancy issues. It will help tremendously when you've switched substrates, because then you don't have to worry about the food just falling through the crevices and becoming unreachable to the fish.

Let's fast her for two days. Then, after the fast, cut down the amount of gel food you are feeding to half. :)

Hi Alex-

Wow, I never would have thought that a pellet would be better but that makes sense that I would have to feed less. What would you recommend for all my fish? Hikari? I hope I will be able to switch substrates soon. She was all better today so it must be that she's getting too much volume of food. I'm almost out of gel food anyway, so maybe I'll order some pellets after I hear your suggestions and then switch to that soon. Thanks for the help :)

I would like to recommend NLS (1mm), Omega One (1mm), or Hikari Lionhead. The only problem is that with gravel of that size, it may be difficult to feed with those pellets.

I'm glad that she is doing better.

This whole thing with feeding is probably the single most challenging thing for any goldfish keeper.

I would like to recommend NLS (1mm), Omega One (1mm), or Hikari Lionhead. The only problem is that with gravel of that size, it may be difficult to feed with those pellets.

I'm glad that she is doing better.

This whole thing with feeding is probably the single most challenging thing for any goldfish keeper.

Ok, maybe I'll see if I can get the sand thing going sooner rather than later. My fish usually eat all the food before it reaches the bottom anyway, though. Are any of those pellets better than the other, or would they all be equally good for Snowflake (as far as we know)?

My favorite is the Hikari Lionhead, but NLS comes a close second, and Omega is right there. All of these foods are premium. The HL has quite a bit more proteins than the others, so that's something to keep in mind.

My favorite is the Hikari Lionhead, but NLS comes a close second, and Omega is right there. All of these foods are premium. The HL has quite a bit more proteins than the others, so that's something to keep in mind.

Perfect! I'm going to try to find the Hikari. Should I soak the pellets first?

Don't soak. I have not found it to be remotely necessary. :)

HL can by purchased from our sponsor Tastyworms.com for a very cheap price, and with $4.99 flat rate shipping. If you get a few items, the shipping is just ridiculously cheap.

I was not able to find HL locally.

Don't soak. I have not found it to be remotely necessary. :)

HL can by purchased from our sponsor Tastyworms.com for a very cheap price, and with $4.99 flat rate shipping. If you get a few items, the shipping is just ridiculously cheap.

I was not able to find HL locally.

Oh phew because I personally find soaking pellets to be annoying as $$$$. I think I will buy it from Tasty Worms because food + shipping = food only on Drs. F&S. thanks for the suggestion. I found Tithra's post of # of pellets per 0.1g...I should be feeding 1% of their weight per day, right? Can I still give them their bloodworms and brine shrimp?

One percent is do-able. :)

With younger fish, I tend to be less methodical about the weight, and go with more feeding time, like 2-3 minutes per feed, 3-4 times a day.

Of course, watch your parameters if you do this. :)

One percent is do-able. :)

With younger fish, I tend to be less methodical about the weight, and go with more feeding time, like 2-3 minutes per feed, 3-4 times a day.

Of course, watch your parameters if you do this. :)

Alrighty :) They're all little piggies, so I'll just use my good judgment. Thanks for answering all my questions, Alex. I guess I didn't know as much about feeding as I thought!

Also, I want to add that Snowflake was super backed up. 2 days of fasting and she's still pooping :( healthy poo tho

Also, I want to add that Snowflake was super backed up. 2 days of fasting and she's still pooping :( healthy poo tho

Feed her if you like, but very very small amounts. There should be about 30 seconds worth of food only each time.

Feed her if you like, but very very small amounts. There should be about 30 seconds worth of food only each time.

I'll just wait until tomorrow. I'll feed at least half of what I usually do until the Hikari I just ordered gets here. It was a killer deal on Tasty Worms :D

Yes, I am about to order some from him as well. The bags last until 2016, I believe.

Yes, I am about to order some from him as well. The bags last until 2016, I believe.

I bet we'll empty that bag before then :rofl3