I am curious

4prettyfish

I have been wondering about something for weeks now and decided to see what you think.

It's been close to a year of feeding our goldfish Omega One pellets and probably near a year of feeding them New Life Spectrum pellets. One of these pellets have changed my Red Cap's coloring to this stained gold-ish looking color only on her belly and a little bit up her side. I liked the color change at first but not as much now. I believe it was the NLS food.

I was having a mild case of one of my fish floating a couple/few months ago.... about once a week. Sometimes it would be twice a week. Her floatiness would last for a short time ranging from a couple of hours to maybe 6 hours. I decided not to use these pellets any longer. I now use the Hikari Lionhead pellets and absolutely love this food. I've had no problems at all now with any of our fish.

Okay, I'm getting side tracked but wanted to give you a little food history. :)

My question to you is: Now that I am not using those first two pellets any longer do you think my Red Cap will lose that "stained" color? I'm hoping over time she will go back to being a Red Cap with an ALL white body. I'm kind of hoping now that I've upgraded her food that will help also. What do you think? Did you OR do you have a fish with that stained looking color from using the above pellets? Did your fish ever lose that color for whatever reason?

Thank you for your input.

• Supporter

I don't know about the pellets but the girl from the Solid Goldfish blog started giving her white fish Respashy Soilient Green (spelling?) and the fish turned a little yellow from all the good stuff. I liked how she explained in the video that she did not mind because it is so good for her fish. So I guess I am no help but I am thinking of switching from ProGold to a Kikari or NLS. What do you like better about the Hikari?

It's hard to say, but I don't believe she will lose the stained color. Once Hoover began to become stained (I assume it was from the Repashy) she eventually turned into a red and white Ryukin. I know it's not the same food, but it produced the stain as well.

Edited by ChelseaM

^ I am thinking it may not go away also...

Bing my fantail got the stained color too mostly on his chest, not sure exactly what food along the way, maybe repashy or maybe progold but now he only eats Omega One and Hikari Gold and its never left. My oranda got it at the same time to a lesser degree. The calico has never gotten it and I'm glad and hope she doesn't. I kinda like it on some fish though.

Edited by CindiL

I don't know about the pellets but the girl from the Solid Goldfish blog started giving her white fish Respashy Soilient Green (spelling?) and the fish turned a little yellow from all the good stuff. I liked how she explained in the video that she did not mind because it is so good for her fish. So I guess I am no help but I am thinking of switching from ProGold to a Kikari or NLS. What do you like better about the Hikari?

Thanks for the info mmk. I love all of Jen(ny"s) video's. That's what I don't want though. I don't want my fish to change colors from a food. I'd rather have a food enhance their colors they have now. I really want my red cap to get back that all white. I don't know if that's possible though. You were a big help. That's exactly what I wanted from my post...Others suggestions/idea's. :) So thank you.

ProGold is suppose to be up there in great food quality. Isn't it? (I think so) Are you having problems with progold? If not, I'd stay with it. NLS is an easy accessible food that some big pet chain stores carry. (perhaps even family owned pet stores) It's a very nice pellet. I've always loved it. I switched it because of the problems mentioned above from my thread. I love the Hikari because I have noticed a HUGE difference since I switched to this food. My fish have grown more including more wen growth. I believe it's because of this and now feeding frozen bloodworms every other day. All my fish have been extremely healthy. I have not done a comparison with the progold, NLS, or Hikari, but you want something with a good percentage of protein.

It's hard to say, but I don't believe she will lose the stained color. Once Hoover began to become stained (I assume it was from the Repashy) she eventually turned into a red and white Ryukin. I know it's not the same food, but it produced the stain as well.

Thanks Chelsea. I didn't know there were other foods that gave the fish "stains". :( It's funny because I was really loving this back then. Not now though. Your Hoover is gorgeous. :)

^ I am thinking it may not go away also...

Bing my fantail got the stained color too mostly on his chest, not sure exactly what food along the way, maybe repashy or maybe progold but now he only eats Omega One and Hikari Gold and its never left. My oranda got it at the same time to a lesser degree. The calico has never gotten it and I'm glad and hope she doesn't. I kinda like it on some fish though.

Thanks Cindi. Bummer! It's looking like the stain is voted to not go away. I think I will "hope the stain away". ha ha ha There is always a first. :)

I have to agree with others. If the staining is on the body, it may not go away. Edie has what I believe to be food related color change on her belly (a bit of yellowing), a year of not using that food and it has not disappeared. However, coloring in the wen and fins (the yellowing that can be associated to repashy in particular) does come and go in my experience depending on how much and how consistently you are feeding the food.

Hi Cheryl,

I think it's the Omega One that did it. I had the same issues with my red cap a long time ago. It made these color smears on the fish that were not attractive at all. This is a potential problem with all foods that are color-enhancing. Saki Hikari is another one that does that. In my experience, NLS and Pro-Gold are much less so.

Unfortunately, those smears may never go away. If they do, it will be quite a long time.

The information that you can glean from a certain blog is very good. How do I know? Because that person learned them all from here, and from one other forum. This person just conveniently forgets to attribute credit. Don't forget to visit the pages of some of our cherished members here, including Chelsea M., Narny105, Helen, and tithra33. They also have wonderful information, and definitely deserve recognition for their hard work. :)

I have to agree with others. If the staining is on the body, it may not go away. Edie has what I believe to be food related color change on her belly (a bit of yellowing), a year of not using that food and it has not disappeared. However, coloring in the wen and fins (the yellowing that can be associated to repashy in particular) does come and go in my experience depending on how much and how consistently you are feeding the food.

Thanks tithra. I appreciate your feedback. I wasn't 100% sure if the stain could possibly go away since I've changed food. Again, bummer. I am really loving my red cap more and more since he has been filling out and now looking like a red cap. I just wish he was all white.

Hi Cheryl,

I think it's the Omega One that did it. I had the same issues with my red cap a long time ago. It made these color smears on the fish that were not attractive at all. This is a potential problem with all foods that are color-enhancing. Saki Hikari is another one that does that. In my experience, NLS and Pro-Gold are much less so.

Unfortunately, those smears may never go away. If they do, it will be quite a long time.

The information that you can glean from a certain blog is very good. How do I know? Because that person learned them all from here, and from one other forum. This person just conveniently forgets to attribute credit. Don't forget to visit the pages of some of our cherished members here, including Chelsea M., Narny105, Helen, and tithra33. They also have wonderful information, and definitely deserve recognition for their hard work. :)

Hi Alex, Omega One? Really? I was thinking it was the nlp. Either way I stopped both foods. It was because of the floating I was having w/Hariett. With your help I stopped those and she has been great ever since. No floating at all for a few weeks now. :)

I'm not sure how to take your last paragraph Alex. I do recognize "everyone" all the time when credit is due from helping me/posting something/etc. I do love Jenny's youtubes. Nothing wrong with that. I know people received/learned information from either sites like this and or reading/researching material. Heck, look at me. When I give my input on something here...Where do you think I learned it from? Answer: Here at Koko's. :)

The other names you mentioned above (which I love :) ) Are you saying they have youtube accts on goldfish? I know tithra does. I believe she knows how I feel about her. I have said so that I've learned a lot from her here and her youtube acct.

Going back to my second paragraph. I'm not sure how to take it. Maybe I just misunderstood you or you misunderstood me. You should know how I feel about you also. You've helped me. If not, You and All the names above are wonderful knowledgeable people regarding our be loveable goldfish. I love you all and everyone else. :heart I hope my post didn't come out the wrong way. I was concerned. I don't want anyone coming down on me.

They all do have YouTube channels, Cheryl.

Chelsea also has a blog, and I believe Chelsea and Jess have FB pages. :)

As for my comments, none of it was directed at you, or anyone on the forum! You've been an excellent contributing member, and I always appreciate it! :)

It's definitely the omega one causing it, however I saw similar effect on hikari lionhead after around a year as well, although not as extreme. (because I've fed nearly every food imaginable)

Here is another person with an excellent blog! :)

It's definitely the omega one causing it, however I saw similar effect on hikari lionhead after around a year as well, although not as extreme. (because I've fed nearly every food imaginable)

Aw thank you alex!! I've learned so much not only from asking questions on kokos but from also conversing with you and other members. I try to support kokos, ECR, and tastyworms whenever possible with advertising, recommendations, and reviews. Knowledge is a vey communal aspect and its much easier to learn through and with others than alone.

It's not even just about attributing this forum. I just think it's nice, and the right thing to do, to give credit.

May be it's the science training background. Them mad scientists don't tolerate lack of references and citations. :rofl

I feed Omega One and don't have any complaints. I have orange/orange and white fish now but I used to have an all white red cap oranda who I also fed Omega One to and I never noticed staining.

I hope you find out which food is causing it!

It's not even just about attributing this forum. I just think it's nice, and the right thing to do, to give credit.

May be it's the science training background. Them mad scientists don't tolerate lack of references and citations. :rofl

agreed!! I hate when others don't source information. Like yeah you said goldfish can live in 2 gallons but link me to the pdf which did a long term growth experiment on the effects of confined spaces on a population of domestic goldfish. :rofl :rofl

I feed my goldfish Alex's gel food and used to feed veggies but they made my white ryukin turn sort of yellow :( I'm hoping stopping the veggies (after hearing that fresh ones don't do anything nutritionally) will make her turn white again

They all do have YouTube channels, Cheryl.

Chelsea also has a blog, and I believe Chelsea and Jess have FB pages. :)

As for my comments, none of it was directed at you, or anyone on the forum! You've been an excellent contributing member, and I always appreciate it! :)

You had me concerned Alex. Good. All is okay. Isn't that person on koko's site anymore? I'm getting the impression she's not. I know she had a different name then the above mentioned. I just thought she's been going by a new name. Anyway...............I'll have to ck out the others youtube accts. :) FB, ha I hardly ever get on that. I start to feel guilty if I don't answer everybody's post/photo. That is time consuming.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Thanks for your input psp. I'm using the hikari lionhead now and love it a lot. I hope I don't see more staining.

Thanks Alex. :)

Aw thank you alex!! I've learned so much not only from asking questions on kokos but from also conversing with you and other members. I try to support kokos, ECR, and tastyworms whenever possible with advertising, recommendations, and reviews. Knowledge is a vey communal aspect and its much easier to learn through and with others than alone.

Agreed. That's how I am able to help others a little bit. And I do mean "a little". I'm learning by asking questions and reading posts, conversing. :)

Does everyone in every youtube acct have to say where they learned this or that regarding fish? I guess I don't understand. There are youtube people that totally give out the wrong info. Isn't it just like you believe it or not? You ask questions back and do some research yourself. There are a lot of people that no squat.

I feed Omega One and don't have any complaints. I have orange/orange and white fish now but I used to have an all white red cap oranda who I also fed Omega One to and I never noticed staining.

I hope you find out which food is causing it!

Thanks Goldenhero. I think that's great that your red cap stayed the same color. I think they are beautiful fish. :) I think it was the NLS or Omega One. One or the other or both. ha ha

I was feeding omega one and saki hikari when I noticed the belly spot starting.... could have been either one :P (or both!)

Thanks tithra. I guess I'll know eventually if it's also the hikari lionhead that I've been using for the past few weeks.

agreed!! I hate when others don't source information. Like yeah you said goldfish can live in 2 gallons but link me to the pdf which did a long term growth experiment on the effects of confined spaces on a population of domestic goldfish. :rofl :rofl

I guess I'm not on youtube enough to notice anything like that. "Where is the reference/source?" Like I said above to Alex...didn't know people had to do that. I just assume you learned from somewhere/someone.

I feed my Goldfish NLS and I think they all do GREAT on it.

Thanks Heidi. I love nls also. I just didn't know if that was the problem for one of my fish floating then got to thinking about the staining in one of my other fish. This is how this subject got started. I'm so glad your fish are doing great on it. I think it's a great pellet also. It's easy to get also without ordering it. :)

I feed my goldfish Alex's gel food and used to feed veggies but they made my white ryukin turn sort of yellow :( I'm hoping stopping the veggies (after hearing that fresh ones don't do anything nutritionally) will make her turn white again

Thanks Laurat3x. I appreciate your info. I didn't know that fresh veggies don't do anything nutritionally. ?? Hmmm.

I was feeding omega one and saki hikari when I noticed the belly spot starting.... could have been either one :P (or both!)

Thanks tithra. I guess I'll know eventually if it's also the hikari lionhead that I've been using for the past few weeks.

I guess I'm not on youtube enough to notice anything like that. "Where is the reference/source?" Like I said above to Alex...didn't know people had to do that. I just assume you learned from somewhere/someone.

Thanks Heidi. I love nls also. I just didn't know if that was the problem for one of my fish floating then got to thinking about the staining in one of my other fish. This is how this subject got started. I'm so glad your fish are doing great on it. I think it's a great pellet also. It's easy to get also without ordering it. :)

Thanks Laurat3x. I appreciate your info. I didn't know that fresh veggies don't do anything nutritionally. ?? Hmmm.
I read it on here recently. I believe it was Alex (?) that said its the stuff on the decaying plants that is good for the goldies and they are obligate carnivores. Someone correct me if I was mistaken!

I read it on here recently. I believe it was Alex (?) that said its the stuff on the decaying plants that is good for the goldies and they are obligate carnivores. Someone correct me if I was mistaken!
Thanks Laurat3x. Yes, I'm interested now also. I don't feed mine as much veggies as I probably should but I do give them some on occasion. Thanks for replying back.