Newbie Betta questions

cmclien

Sorry for my newbie questions but I'm only familiar with goldies!

1. Baffling- how much current is too much? I definitely need to baffle but if I baffle with one type the water barely moves at all. If I baffle with another type of filter pad, its still pretty strong but better than nothing. If he gets in front of it, it moves him across the tank (this is where it currently is baffled at). He mainly hangs out at the bottom but comes up for air and swims around periodically.

So my question is do you think he's staying at the bottom because of current? which is better for these little guys? Barely any current so they can literally swim anywhere in their tank? or a little more current?

2. Eating- didn't touch the pellets I gave him but gobbled up the bloodworms. Did I read somewhere (Narny was that you? that bloodworms is a fine diet for these guys?) Do they need anything else besides protein? What do some of you feed yours?

I will come back and look at the pinned topics, just thought I'd ask.

I think thats it for now.

Thanks Betta experts :)

Guest sharpchick

Are you the poster from yesterday with the new Aqueon Evolve 4?

If so, I found it more useful to baffle the outflow by cutting off the elasticized band from a new knee high hose, then wrapping it around the outflow. That way you can either use one thickness or more of hosiery. The elastic in the band acts like a rubber band to hold the thing in place, because as you have noted, that filter outflow is disproportionately strong for the size of the tank.

Yes, he will bottom sit if he's being blown around.

Bettas are obligate carnivores. I still vary the diet for mine with frozen brine shrimp and very small Hikari betta pellets.

Are you the poster from yesterday with the new Aqueon Evolve 4?

If so, I found it more useful to baffle the outflow by cutting off the elasticized band from a new knee high hose, then wrapping it around the outflow. That way you can either use one thickness or more of hosiery. The elastic in the band acts like a rubber band to hold the thing in place, because as you have noted, that filter outflow is disproportionately strong for the size of the tank.

Yes, he will bottom sit if he's being blown around.

Bettas are obligate carnivores. I still vary the diet for mine with frozen brine shrimp and very small Hikari betta pellets.

Yes, I am the same person. Do you have this same tank? I think my daughter has some black knee high hose. Great idea because I have been using a rubber band over filter pad and its a pain. Thanks for the tip.

Hey I have a pretty decent current in my betta tank. My tank is very heavily planted and I find that this provides a lot of dead spots where my betta can hang out peacefully. What do you have in the way of plants in your tank? Putting some large plants near the output may help to soften the current and provide some hidey holes.

Guest sharpchick

The Aqueon Evolve 4 shoots a jet of water from the filter across the top of the water. You can twist the little nozzle to make it shoot the jet of water to the right - up, over and out of the right side of the tank, or to the left, where it shoots the jet of water across the entire surface of the left side of the tank. If you remove the nozzle, then the blast comes out straight.

I've planted stems in front of that nozzle (unbaffled) and they were ripped right out of the substrate. That's when I went to the equipment forum on a FW fish forum, and saw the thread on the Aqueon nano tanks (they make an 8 gallon also).

For a betta, you just have to baffle the filter.

bloodworms is absolutely fine as a staple as Sharpchick has said. Easy to digest and excellent for colouration. Plus, they can get all they need from them too. Varying is always good for enrichment, such as switching it up with brine shrimp and other foods- but if he's happy eating the bloodworms and you want to just feed them, you're good to go!

The Aqueon Evolve 4 shoots a jet of water from the filter across the top of the water. You can twist the little nozzle to make it shoot the jet of water to the right - up, over and out of the right side of the tank, or to the left, where it shoots the jet of water across the entire surface of the left side of the tank. If you remove the nozzle, then the blast comes out straight.

I've planted stems in front of that nozzle (unbaffled) and they were ripped right out of the substrate. That's when I went to the equipment forum on a FW fish forum, and saw the thread on the Aqueon nano tanks (they make an 8 gallon also).

For a betta, you just have to baffle the filter.

My daughter didn't have any hose so before I went to the store I tried one more combination of filter pad and found if I ripped the blue/white pad apart (that I use in my GF tank) and doubled up the white (the full pad pretty much stopped all flow) then it seems just about right. He was all over his little tank, mostly trying to get that other guy in the reflection.....

So far I have to say I like the Evolve other than that strong flow. Its very pretty to look at and seems like it was thoughtfully engineered and a way better price than some other cube setups. I was able to put a nano heater (7.5w) in the back by the pump so the tank is about 78-80 degrees. I wonder if there is a way to easily replace the pump if it fails?

I am tempted to get the Evolve 8 for myself. I've been looking for something for my credenza.

Edited by CindiL

Hey I have a pretty decent current in my betta tank. My tank is very heavily planted and I find that this provides a lot of dead spots where my betta can hang out peacefully. What do you have in the way of plants in your tank? Putting some large plants near the output may help to soften the current and provide some hidey holes.

This one is actually my daughters tank so its not planted though she has a few plastic plants and a marimo ball. I think based on how much he is flaring at his reflection we should probably add some more, especially in the front corners where I think he might see two of himself.