My current tanks

tithra

Very nice! I love seeing your tanks

Stunning. :)

thanks guys :)

:clapping:

I love your tanks! Now when did you say you are coming to plant my 75? :rofl

Your betta tank is gorgeous! Can't wait to see a few more ladies in there! :D

lol, I would LOVE to plant your 75! Just move to VT! I can't wait to have a bigger tank so I can have more planting options :D

Very nice I love the planted tanks but wonder if I could actually pull it off. I was wondering if you have that sand in your tank the tahitian moon sand? If so when you clean out your tank do you have problems with the gravel vac sucking it up because it is so fine? I want to try this in my 125 gallon but am worried about cleaning it with the gravel vac.

You can totally pull off a planted tank! Just start with easy low light plants like anubias, java fern, cryps, vals, swords, wisteria, water sprite - all good easy choices to start with. It can take some trial and error, but plants are lots of fun. They fill the void of not being able to get new fish for me.

In my goldfish tank I have eco complete and tahitian moon sand. It started as an eco complete base with a TMS cap, but with all the replanting over time and goldfish sifting it is just a mix at this point :P

In this tank I just run the gravel vac over the very top just to get the top layer of gunk off since it is planted everywhere, I do occasionally suck up a bit. Before I had the tank fully planted I did a full gravel vac (putting the vac deep into the gravel), a little TMS will get sucked up, but it shouldn't be too much. You just can't leave the vac deep in the TMS for a long time, when you lift it up most of the sand should fall out. The nice thing about TMS is that it is heavier than sand, but finer than gravel.

Will the plants survive if I just put in the TMS? About under how many inches should I put the plant root? I was really thinking about getting some fake plants but might just go ahead and start with real ones instead. I really do like the anubis that is in your tank.

Lol! Hashi gets a time out for being a bad boy :P

Both tanks looks amaaaaazing :wub:

And is that a temple/giant hygro that is in your tank? If so, do you have any tips on trimming it? I have some and they grow densely with so many leaves. I want them to grow taller, not wider...The bottoms ones barely get any light.

it is a hygro.... What I have been doing for trimming is just topping it (so cutting off the top portion with nice new growth that I want to keep and replanting the tops. This way it doesn't continue to get so giant (since when you just trim from the top it will grow multiple shoots from the trimming site and get bushier). You can keep the bottoms if you want to propogate the plant, or just ditch them.

beautiful. What is the big green plant on the left side?

Edit: of the first tank lol

hygrophila corymbosa... I am loving this plant. It grows very fast, it's easy, and the root system on it is amazing. I highly recommend it!

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Hygrophila-corymbosa-Giant-hygro-Temple-plant-NITRATE-BUSTER-GIANTHYGRO.htm

Thank you..I might get some :)

and thanks for the link :o

Edit: That's where the little petstore I got my plants from today said she got hers :o

That's so funny! I am glad that they have pet stores support them. They are my absolute favorite place to buy from, everything always comes in good condition, it's cheaper than aquabid, the quantity is always good, and she always throws in an extra or two :)

Such lush, beautiful foliage in both tanks. I'm very jealous! Wonderful job!!

Thank you!

Amazing! You have obviously put a lot of work into your plants and the results are proof of that!

thank you :)

It looks great! I'm still trying to get mine to look nice, what are the small crypt-ish plants in the foreground to the slight left in the goldie tank?

I have crypts on the right hand side, but here are the foreground plants from left to right: on left hand side I have some rotala sp. nanjenshan clippings up front, rotala sp. wallichi right behind that, some star grass cuttings to the right of the wallichi, glosso in the middle, and all the way to the right of the picture are crypt parva ;)

Jess, your planted tanks are exquisite. I am just so impressed with the results! :)

thanks alex! I fully expect you to follow suit soon. I'll let you settle in with that single anubias, but I expect a java fern in the next month! :rofl

Both of your tanks are amazing :) why are there no fish in them??are they on their way to my house ;)

thanks shell!

lol.... Hashi is in a 10 gal being 'punished' for eating Edie's tail for the second time now, and Edie is in a 20 gal QT with salt healing her tail. And, my lady bettas for my sorority are in QT until next week when I have the week off and can keep a close eye on them when I release them.

OHH... AHHH! Your planted tanks are fabulous!! So lush and happy! :thumbup2:

It is hysterical that you punish you naughty fish :rofl

thank you!

haha... I have been so mad at him! he was so nasty to Edie! He gets to come back into the main tank tomorrow :P

Your tanks look great.

Thank you Hidr! your beautiful tanks were what got me interested in a planted tank in the first place!

Gorgeous, Jess! I see someone has been channeling their inner Dutch aquascapist. :P

lol, I'm working on it! :D Some day I will have a real live dutch tank! Until then I am working on how to create rows and trim bushes :P

Jess your tanks are alwats so incredibly gorgeous!!!!!! Like seriously amazing! I could look at them all day ;)

thank you haley! :)

Very nice! I love seeing your tanks

Stunning. :)

thanks guys :)

:clapping:

I love your tanks! Now when did you say you are coming to plant my 75? :rofl

Your betta tank is gorgeous! Can't wait to see a few more ladies in there! :D

lol, I would LOVE to plant your 75! Just move to VT! I can't wait to have a bigger tank so I can have more planting options :D

Very nice I love the planted tanks but wonder if I could actually pull it off. I was wondering if you have that sand in your tank the tahitian moon sand? If so when you clean out your tank do you have problems with the gravel vac sucking it up because it is so fine? I want to try this in my 125 gallon but am worried about cleaning it with the gravel vac.

You can totally pull off a planted tank! Just start with easy low light plants like anubias, java fern, cryps, vals, swords, wisteria, water sprite - all good easy choices to start with. It can take some trial and error, but plants are lots of fun. They fill the void of not being able to get new fish for me.

In my goldfish tank I have eco complete and tahitian moon sand. It started as an eco complete base with a TMS cap, but with all the replanting over time and goldfish sifting it is just a mix at this point :P

In this tank I just run the gravel vac over the very top just to get the top layer of gunk off since it is planted everywhere, I do occasionally suck up a bit. Before I had the tank fully planted I did a full gravel vac (putting the vac deep into the gravel), a little TMS will get sucked up, but it shouldn't be too much. You just can't leave the vac deep in the TMS for a long time, when you lift it up most of the sand should fall out. The nice thing about TMS is that it is heavier than sand, but finer than gravel.

Will the plants survive if I just put in the TMS? About under how many inches should I put the plant root? I was really thinking about getting some fake plants but might just go ahead and start with real ones instead. I really do like the anubis that is in your tank.

You'll want to add root tabs to the TMS, particularly if you have any plants that are root feeders like swords or crypts. Anubias and java fern are really nice because they actually do better tied to rocks/driftwood than planted typically (though you can certainly plant them), so they work great for barebottom tanks or if you don't want a lot of gravel. Substrate depth will really depend on your plants, but typically anywhere from 1.5-2.5 inches is good. More toward 2.5 inches if you have plants like swords and crypts that have deep root systems, less if you are keeping stem plants for example that get most of their nutrients from the water column so they tend to not develop as extensive of root systems

Gorgeous!!!!! You do a great job with your tank's.

thanks Heidi!

They are fabulous, and I love that frameless tank. I with I had the patience for such fancy aquascaping. :)

Thanks shawn!! The betta tank definitely took a lot of patience to finish, but I find it pretty relaxing. Plus I got these awesome planting tongs that made it super easy to plant everything, can't believe I didn't buy a pair of those things sooner!

I remember when you had little plants in jars (and I did too), and now you even have the fancy planting tongs. You go, girl!! :rofl:clapping::fishtank:

lol. I actually had a little trip down memory lane the other day. Here was my first attempt at a 'heavily planted' tank:

IMG_0259.jpg

I have definitely learned a lot since then..... and I know I have a lot more learning to do! Some day I would like to have a perfectly scaped and pruned dutch aquascape. :D plants are seriously just as interesting and fun to me as the fish themselves. I can't wait until I have a bigger tank that allows for more planting room. I don't even want more fish, just more room for plants! :P

(I still have those crypts, flame moss and vals btw, amazing how much they have reproduced since then)

Really, really beautiful!

Did your fish eat your marimo algae ball in your older/first planted tank setup or did they leave it alone?

Really, really beautiful!

Did your fish eat your marimo algae ball in your older/first planted tank setup or did they leave it alone?

I have had marimos in both my betta and goldfish tank in the past. They were left alone (although there's no reason the betta would bother it). But my experience is not necessarily a good indicator of typical experience since my fish have not taken an interest in eating my plants (knock on wood)

Hey what is the smallest stuff in you betta tank? And what is a good beginner moss to attach to a piece of driftwood?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

the little plants in the foreground are dwarf baby tears (HC), if they survive they should carpet the foreground.

Java moss is always a good beginner moss, but I really like flame moss, and I haven't found it difficult to grow as long as you have good circulation in the tank (it seems to really enjoy being near the filter output :idont)

You can see it in the back right in this pic

DSC_0003.jpg

I remember when you had little plants in jars (and I did too), and now you even have the fancy planting tongs. You go, girl!! :rofl:clapping::fishtank:

lol. I actually had a little trip down memory lane the other day. Here was my first attempt at a 'heavily planted' tank:

IMG_0259.jpg

I have definitely learned a lot since then..... and I know I have a lot more learning to do! Some day I would like to have a perfectly scaped and pruned dutch aquascape. :D plants are seriously just as interesting and fun to me as the fish themselves. I can't wait until I have a bigger tank that allows for more planting room. I don't even want more fish, just more room for plants! :P

(I still have those crypts, flame moss and vals btw, amazing how much they have reproduced since then)

:rofl You've come a long way, baby! Remember when substrate was scary?! :rofl

For me, plants have always been part of deal. Like with any pet, I want to give my fish the best home I can, and I think that means they should have plants. It's clear that they like to nibble on them and hide behind them and that plants help with water quality. It's a given. Plus, I think they make the tank prettier.

I would like to have a beautifully scaped tank, but I really don't think I have the patience. And the fish are happy even if the tank isn't perfect. ;) If I had a smaller or easier tank to reach into, I might do more. Maybe someday. In the meantime, I'll enjoy looking at yours. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Shawn I still despise having substrate lol. There are many times in the last 6mos that I have come very close to going back to bare bottom. Bare bottom is still my preference overall, but I put up with having substrate because I have to in order to have the type of planted tank I want :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk