New betta and a couple of questions

cmclien

I couldn't figure out what to do for myself today so I ended up buying my daughter a 4g aquarium and a male betta. Its been a year since she had any fish and I inadvertently became the proud owner of my own goldfish :lol3

I decided to let her try again in a small way so here we are. I ended up buying the aqueon evolve 4 aquarium.

The water is cloudy still from the sand but he is very active chasing himself against his reflection, is that normal?

We gave him a few pellets and he ate them but then spit them out, maybe its too soon.

Also, the current was really pushing him around so I baffled it and now its moving, but barely. I hope a very light current is alright for filtration?

Our plan is to change out about 25% a week (or 1g). I will keep my eyes on parameters in the meantime.

He is in the upper left and looks so tiny even in the 4g.

2013-07-24202836_zps428ce5ea.jpg

2013-07-24202727_zpsdee686cb.jpg

2013-07-24203116_zpsc520321a.jpg

2013-07-24203354_zps98ccf00d.jpg

2013-07-24203055_zps06c5fbe5.jpg

aw, what a pretty boy! congratulations!

Low current is fine (good that you baffled it)

Chasing his reflection is normal, you may want to turn the lights off for awhile so he can't see his reflection and to allow him some time to destress. You may want to move the plants around and/or add more plants where the reflection is showing to reduce it.

Give him a couple days to eat. I have had bettas that did not eat when first brought home :)

Bettas don't like much current so it is fine.

It is normal for him to flare and chase his reflection. Maybe paint or cover the sides.

Don't worry about him not eating. Most bettas don't until a couple days after you bring them home

Good luck! He is beautiful!

aw, what a pretty boy! congratulations!

Low current is fine (good that you baffled it)

Chasing his reflection is normal, you may want to turn the lights off for awhile so he can't see his reflection and to allow him some time to destress. You may want to move the plants around and/or add more plants where the reflection is showing to reduce it.

Give him a couple days to eat. I have had bettas that did not eat when first brought home :)

Ok, thanks for all the tips. He seems a little calmer this morning and seems to be moving around further in the tank. If I see him doing much more of the chasing his own reflection we will pick up a few more plants.

The water is still pretty darn cloudy, I'm thinking I should change out a couple gallons of water as it might be grey from the black sand?

Edited by CindiL

He's beautiful! Does he have a name yet?

Ok, she named him after the Greek guardian, Cerberus, the four headed dog.....she likes Greek mythology.

Did your daughter pick out her betta? He's beautiful.

Yes, she picked him out, and everything else, I tried to keep quiet but its so hard when I want to decorate the tank for her! :teehee

In the end it was all her choices lol I felt it was important because with all of our water issues (changing ph, high nitrates, having to age and pump the water in) the 40g became way too much and overwhelming for her (she is 14) (for me too I should say till I figured it out). So she gave me Bing (the fantail), helped me pick out Bilbo (the oranda) and then quit helping altogether. Arwin the calico was my pick last Christmas.

This is a nice re-introduction and manageable tank for her.

Beautiful! :Congrats:

I'm also going to have a day soon where I won't know what to do with myself, and come back with a betta and tank! :rofl

This is literally me today.

the new guy looks lovely as does the tank!

Hmmm maybe we will be seeing more pics coming up....
Edited by CindiL

looks great! Perfect tank for a betta :)

Thanks, glad you think so. We were torn between a 3g and a 4g but decided more water like always is best.

He's very pretty!

My betta took a little time to adapt to the current. I didn't baffle it because he kept purposefully swimming into it and letting it push him down. He easily could have avoided it. He would do that and let it push him down, and then he would go to the side and rest, and then he would start again. I think he liked it, and within a week or two, he was much stronger. It was very fun to watch him develop after life in a tiny cup. :)

He's very pretty!

My betta took a little time to adapt to the current. I didn't baffle it because he kept purposefully swimming into it and letting it push him down. He easily could have avoided it. He would do that and let it push him down, and then he would go to the side and rest, and then he would start again. I think he liked it, and within a week or two, he was much stronger. It was very fun to watch him develop after life in a tiny cup. :)

Thats good to read. I just asked that question in another thread. lol

With my betta, it was very clear that he was being pushed by choice, and I was certain that the tank had plenty of calm water for him. He was a young guy, and he was working out in the current. It was very cool to watch. Of course he would have trouble with the current initially -- he lived in a cup! But that doesn't mean that bettas can't adapt. I certainly wouldn't put one in a raging current with no place to rest, but after Ghost, I would give one the opportunity to try out the current, as long as he had a safe calm place to rest. :)

With my betta, it was very clear that he was being pushed by choice, and I was certain that the tank had plenty of calm water for him. He was a young guy, and he was working out in the current. It was very cool to watch. Of course he would have trouble with the current initially -- he lived in a cup! But that doesn't mean that bettas can't adapt. I certainly wouldn't put one in a raging current with no place to rest, but after Ghost, I would give one the opportunity to try out the current, as long as he had a safe calm place to rest. :)

Mine keeps on going to the intake and staying there willingly. When I first saw it, I thought oh no, he's stuck to the intake. But his head wasn't on it, it was away from it and easily swam away (and the filter output is baffled now so there is hardly any current at all). But there are times during the day where I see him like this and I've decided he likes the feeling of the water going past him and he's choosing to go do this. Its the weirdest thing and I will have to get a video of it! BTW the intake is not a tube on this setup its a grid.

And I have to say he kinda looks like an amphibian at this time when his head is out and turned away but his body isn't. They are interesting little fish. I've never had one before.

Edited by CindiL

I have two of those tanks now! I ended up getting another one for myself since I liked my daughters so much :)

In one I have the 7.5w Tetra mini-heater and in the other I have the Aqueon mini-heater 10w.

I think the 10w is the way to go (in this tank anyways) because on a warmish day like today where the house is about 75, the tetra has the tank at about 79 and the aqueon got the tank up to 83 so I unplugged it (they tell you not to use them if the house is 75 or warmer, probably because they have a set temperature).

Based on that though I am afraid the tetra won't be able to keep up in the winter and the aqueon will be just right.

Just my thoughts.....

P.S. I'm from Washington state too. Grew up in Bothell, WA and still have family there.

Edited by CindiL