Do Bettas ever have a cycled tank?

cmclien

I'm putting together a shopping list to pick up a betta and a few tetras today.

5-8g tank

sand

plants - both live and silk

small heater

small filter

already have extra syphon, glass scrubber

food- I am assuming they can't eat goldfish food? Omega one small and saki hikari purple. but they can probably eat bloodworms

Does a betta put out enough waste to ever cycle a tank? I am wondering if I should move some cycled material over from my goldie tank? or is it not necessary if I change out 1/3 of their water a week?

I took some cycled material from my eheim on the goldfish tank and put it in the HOB on the 10g betta tank before I bought my betta

~~Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk~~

I don't think my 10 gal betta tank is cycled, but reading this thread it sounds like I might want to move some filter media from the big tank. I've never noticed water parameters out of control even though I only do 50% water changes every couple weeks. Definitely nowhere close to water changes every three days :o

I'm not a tropical expert but I thought tetras needed a larger tank for more horizontal swimming room . . . Or is that just certain tetras? I was looking into neon tetras at one point so maybe it was just those? :idont

• Supporter

I'm not a tropical expert but I thought tetras needed a larger tank for more horizontal swimming room . . . Or is that just certain tetras?? I was looking into neon tetras at one point so maybe it was just those?? :idont

Lisa I think you're right that many need a larger tank. I'm not sure about the neon tetra I do know they need to be in a school of at least five or more. And I think I remember reading on another forum that they did better and I 20 gallon or larger tank but that might not be right lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My tank was not cycled when I added my betta (6 gallons) as I just wanted to get him out of the bowl however I have never registered any readings for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I take out 30% of the water each week. I just really think that they do not produce a heap of waste.

In most betta books they do recommend 2.5 gallon at least for a single betta and you should wait two weeks before you put in the new betta, after this time the tank will be cycled :)
The biggest problem with bettas is the bacterial infection, so a good filter and clean water is extremley important, also you should avoid any kind of stress for your betta, stress causes disease.
But in my opinion it really depends on where you get your betta from if he gets a bacterial infection or not, a private breeder is the best adress for a healthy betta. :)

I ended up just getting the betta and a 4g aqueon Evolve 4 aquarium for my daughter. Pics to come in a new thread.

My tank was not cycled when I added my betta (6 gallons) as I just wanted to get him out of the bowl however I have never registered any readings for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I take out 30% of the water each week. I just really think that they do not produce a heap of waste.

This is what I seem to keep reading. I will test the water every few days to see if anything is going on.

Edited by CindiL

• Supporter

I think the glow light tetras work in a 10 gal. I know several will. I will be researching this a lot soon after I get the tele and get him in the main tank because I will be making the 10gal into a betta tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

8 gal betta tank and I used a cycled sponge from my pond media, I have never had a reading on it but I do a complete clean every 6 months, the rest of it is topped up. It is heavily planted and he is the only fish in the tank (I keep trying to add snails every couple of months but he is still a good hunter :teehee ) I should also mention I keep a good layer of algae growing on the tank side as well.

Regardless of whether or not you think your filter is cycled, your filter and tank will harbour enough nitrifying bacteria to cope with the bio load of the tank, which is obviously quite small. You should cycle a betta tank whether it is 5 gallons or 10 gallons.

5 gallons, in my opinion, is the absolute minimum, considering the tank needs to be filtered and heated, and have a good environment for the betta. The fish may be small, but it doesn't mean they should be in smaller environments.

If you don't have a filter or a method of water circulation, the more water changes the better. Stagnant water is not good for any fish.

If you do have a well planted tank, the majority of ammonia produced by the betta, if not all, will be consumed by the plants so technically speaking, you could go unfiltered in a well planted single betta tank no smaller than 10 gallons. Still, I'd always have a filter hooked onto the tank with cycled media.

You can feed bloodworms as a primary diet if you want, but floating pellets are a little better than sinking ones considering they're well suited to surface feeding. I've never tried feeding the saki hikari, but if you break the pellets up, I'm sure they'd make a tasty treat now and then. I usually just feed bloodworms and that's it, with the occasional hikari betta pellet. Repashy foods are also good to feed, particularly the carnivorous gels.

Edited by Narny105