Sign in to follow this  
Flipper

Skittles is floating and tap is BAD!

Skittles is still hanging out at the top of tank. When he swims his butt still is pulling towards the top, but not a bad as prefast. I gave both tanks one blanched spinach leaf before i left work for 12.5 hrs. I will wait for further direction. ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Is there anyway you can feed the other guys and not Skittles? I don't wish for ALL your fish to hate me. :rofl

Is there anyway you can feed the other guys and not Skittles? I don't wish for ALL your fish to hate me. :rofl

Ok, I just tried to only feed the other 2 chus and they got the majority of the FBS, but Skittles got some.

He's pretty speedy for being tubby :rofl

:rofl

How is Skittles doing? Better on the floaties?

I think I am going to scoop Skittles out with a small container today for feedings. But I am going out of town on 8/1 and will be gone till 8/6. If I fast him all this time before hand and then leave for nearly one week will he be a skeleton when I get home?

Also, I need to do a water change tomorrow before my trip. because of the ammonia in the tap, should I just to a 50% change and no more?

Is your tap able to process the ammonia within 24 hours? If not do your WC two days before you leave at the latest. That way you can Prime the tank daily at least while at home.

Your fish are still really small, so 7-8 days without WC is totally fine, and that's the advantage of keeping to the stocking.

You can feed everyone tomorrow, but please stick with the 1mm pellets.

I don't understand what you mean by "is your tap able to process the ammonia with in 24 hrs?" :idont

I sort of have to do WC tomorrow cuz I have to work 3 12.5 hr shift before leaving at 4am on 8/1. But I could to a small water change after work the day before I leave to offset it. Does that work?

That should work. :)

What I meant to ask is how long does it take for the tap ammonia to disappear, once you've added it to the tank? Does this happen within 24 hours, or does it take longer?

OK, thanks for your speedy replys. I get it now. Takes about 1-2 days depending on how much water I'm adding.

Thanks again for all you Alex wisdom!!!

And when feeding. Should I just feed tiny pellets and no frozen??

Edited by Flipper

Frozen is fine as well, but in moderation. :)

ok. will do. No more daily FBW!!

Hi Alex :hi just wanted to let you know that skittles is still hanging out at the top of the tank. :idont I am feeding small amounts less often and I don't know if this is just going to be his normal like Flipper the incredible upside down fish :rofl3

So, even after 3 days of fasting, he's still pinned to the top?

I'd like for you to try to feed them red leaf lettuce today or tomorrow. Let it the be only thing they eat. One leaf for the whole tank.

I hope it's not going to be how he is permanently, but we will have to see.

Hang in there.

So, even after 3 days of fasting, he's still pinned to the top?

I'd like for you to try to feed them red leaf lettuce today or tomorrow. Let it the be only thing they eat. One leaf for the whole tank.

I hope it's not going to be how he is permanently, but we will have to see.

Hang in there.

Well, maybe not pinned. He can swim downward, but he must work harder to do it than his ranchu buddies. And if he quits swimming he will float to the top fanny first! I have spinach not the red leaf lettuce. Can I feed that?

You can do spinach, but if/when you can, let's get red leaf lettuce. I am encouraging everyone to try this, in part to see how well it works, and also because you don't have have to blanch. So, it makes it super easy to use.

It may be that Skittles will need roughage daily, or every other day to help him. But that should be alright if it comes to that. :)

Ok. Will do and thanks once again! :D

Ok. I just got home from my trip and fed the chus a tiny pinch of NLS. I think they missed me :teehee Skittles is still hanging out at the top.

I bought 2 sponge filters and an airpump while I was gone. I have to work tomorrow (12.5hrs). When I get home I was going to do a large WC and just fill tank half way. What do you think about this plan, Alex? I would like to preserve my bb in my 2 aquaclear filters. Is that possible? :idont

I think it could work, although it will really tax your filters.

Is there any chance we can try the lowered water with Skittles by him/herself with the sponge filters, while leaving the others in the 55 at the normal depth?

I have a 10g tank. Could set that up. Can I use the pump I bought if its rated for a 60gal? Or will it be tooooo powerful? :idont

I like the 10g. That way, your other ones can continue in the 55 while we try to see what we can do about skittles. The pump might be too strong, but I'm thinking we can regulate it by using a T-valve.

Ok, thanks Alex. I will start my project tomorrow :D

Do you have any air control valves? Those might be helpful too . . . :idont

Do you have any air control valves? Those might be helpful too . . . :idont

That's what I meant with the T-valves, but I don't actually know what they are really called. :rofl

So i am doing my wc and getting ready to put skittles into his 10g and see from top view this sore :( I'm pretty sure its from hanging out at the to so much

Thank God I didn't drop the phone in the tank with this one handed pic.

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2