Sign in to follow this  
Flipper

Skittles is floating and tap is BAD!

When I bought my 3 ranchus in April, Skittles was always a little too buoyant. I halved the water level in my tank for a while to decrease the pressure, but the noise from the waterfalling HOB filters was driving my hubby and I nuts! Now Skittles is having trouble getting down from the top.

I haven't checked my parameters in a month and :yikes the TAP water is horrible!!

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0.5
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0.25
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)5-10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)1 :yikes
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0.5
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)5-10
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 77
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55gal 2 months and used established media in filter to speed process
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC70 and AC110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 5-7 days 60-75% depending on how much I've been feeding
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sun 7/21 I changed 75% and then today I added about 23 or so gallons to top tank so that is wasn't half empty any more
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 small ranchu 2in from nose to base of tail
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime and sometime koi clay
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I've been feeding FBW almost daily to try to grow a wen, blanched spinach, FBS (spiralina enhanced), NLS-Thera A, Saki-Hikari (purple bag), frozen blanched peas. I feed 2x-6x per day depending on if I am working a 12 hr shift or not
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
      • * Any medications added to the tank? salt and prazi when I first got them
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Poop is short and dark and color of food. Eats like a maniac. Only abnormal is this excessive buoyancy issue... Has a very hard time getting to the bottom and staying there. He floats up butt first. I have to post pics from my phone so those will be on there way.
      • I do not know why I am cursed with floaty fish :idont What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and this was happening before the stupid tap water!!!!!!

Here are some photos. Sorry for bad quality, but do u get the idea?

This is how Skittles frequently is at rest.

Posted Image

This is him trying to stay at the bottom...its not working

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The most I can stand starving these guys is a day and a half :teehee However, I am going to Buffalo at the beginning of the month for 5 days :yikes They won't be eating then. Do you think I should fast them now too?

Are you somehow related to Jared? :rofl

Fast them for a couple days and let us know how he looks.

Is he a confirmed male?

Jared doesn't like to starve his finned ones either? :) That is their only joy in life :idont

Confirmed male...??? I think so even though he was just born at the beginning of the year when I first had him in QT he had a few breeding stars and his pectoral fin rays (the initial ones) are thicker that the 2 lemonheads :idont No stars now though!

Edit: I will deprive them of nourishment for ???? days

Poor things. Good thing I will be working. Thanks for your suggestion, though, Lisa :thumb:

Edited by Flipper

No, I think Jared wanted me to come and get Waddles, not so much so he could meet me and talk fish, but then he wouldn't have to fast Waddles. :rofl2

Let's fast for 2 days and see what happens. Pics and/or video after 2 days of fasting. :D And of course, your observances and any changes for the better or worse.

Ok, thanks! "No food fo U"

I agree with the fasting. I think the root of the problem here is just the food intake. :)

Shoot! I am bummed that I am hurting my fish :madrant

It's the eyes. They mesmerize you and convince you to feed them more and more . . . :feedme

Trust me. I fasted my fish yeserday cuz I *kinda* overdid it on Sunday. :peeka

Fortunately I don't have any floaters ATM so there was just a couple of very slow moving fish but a day of fasting cleared things up. :)

We'll figure it out. :nana

Hey Aubrey, you are not doing anything to hurt your fish. The number of feeds and types of foods that you are giving him are exactly what we all feed our fish. Sometimes this happens. He's probably not amused at being pinned to the surface, but you aren't hurting him.

We'll just have to figure out what needs to be done with him once he's not floaty, beginning with figuring out exactly how much to feed.

Are you able to do a huge water change tomorrow? For tonight, add 1x Prime to detoxify the ammonia, and then get rid of it all tomorrow. :)

Uhm...I don't fast my fish because I no longer have any floaters. However, I used to fast them until I got their diet right. And I agree with Alex and Lisa that fasting is good when there is a constipation issue. Tatsu used to do what Skittles is doing quite regularly until I made some dietary adjustments. Now she is fine. Sometimes, it's just trial and error. I'm sure you will find the right combination and quantity for Skittles, too :)

Yep, when I had a floater I was would regularly fast them once a week, sometimes more. :(

Now I don't. I may feed more lightly one day but it's sooo hard to fast them. :teehee

I haven't fasted any of my fish in quite awhile, because like Jared, it has not been necessary.

The fast now is just to get him/her to stop being so floaty. Then, we will fix the diet. :)

What is FBW? I can't figure that out!!

I hope after the fasting for a couple of days you are able to figure out the problem for your fish. Poor little thing.

I had a fish that liked to float on the surface of the tank once or twice a week a few/couple of months ago. It would only last for a couple of hours to maybe 5 hours. This lasted for about a month. With the help of Alex he thought it could have possibly been one of my two sinking pellets. I eliminated one of them and sure enough that was the culprit. I've also recently changed to a new pellet and all is still good. My fish has been good for a few weeks now.

Perhaps when it's time to feed your fish again try just feeding one brand of pellet at a time for a week or so to figure out if one of your brands is making your fish float.

What is FBW? I can't figure that out!!

I hope after the fasting for a couple of days you are able to figure out the problem for your fish. Poor little thing.

I had a fish that liked to float on the surface of the tank once or twice a week a few/couple of months ago. It would only last for a couple of hours to maybe 5 hours. This lasted for about a month. With the help of Alex he thought it could have possibly been one of my two sinking pellets. I eliminated one of them and sure enough that was the culprit. I've also recently changed to a new pellet and all is still good. My fish has been good for a few weeks now.

Perhaps when it's time to feed your fish again try just feeding one brand of pellet at a time for a week or so to figure out if one of your brands is making your fish float.

I think, Frozen Blood Worms :idont

Hey Aubrey, you are not doing anything to hurt your fish. The number of feeds and types of foods that you are giving him are exactly what we all feed our fish. Sometimes this happens. He's probably not amused at being pinned to the surface, but you aren't hurting him.

We'll just have to figure out what needs to be done with him once he's not floaty, beginning with figuring out exactly how much to feed.

Are you able to do a huge water change tomorrow? For tonight, add 1x Prime to detoxify the ammonia, and then get rid of it all tomorrow. :)

I'm going to work for 12.5 hrs now. Will do the prime. Can do huge water change tomorrow! Will it help since so much ammonia in tap? Gotta go.

Thanks for the help and well wishes everybody :)

FBW= frozen blood worms

Apologies. I had the tap and tank ammonia reversed.

No, don't do a WC, but do add Prime daily (1x) until your cycle has dealt with the extra ammonia. :)

Update: I think Skittle is a touch better in his floatiness today. However, 2-3 time this am I have seen him at the top of the tank gulping air and making bubbles. What the heck ... I think he's trying to get floaty!!!!!

One day of fasting down and one to go :teehee:thumbdown

Update: I think Skittle is a touch better in his floatiness today. However, 2-3 time this am I have seen him at the top of the tank gulping air and making bubbles. What the heck ... I think he's trying to get floaty!!!!!

One day of fasting down and one to go :teehee:thumbdown

Aubrey, sometimes the fish gulp because they are trying fix their digestive issues. Fins crossed for Skittle.

Now, while we wait for him (the others can fast, too!) let's talk food.

What do you feed daily, and how much? Would you post pics of the actual amount of food each time?

Well, since the trouble with flipper I have been feeding spinach every morning, one leaf per tank. Frozen food that is cubed is shared between the 2 tanks. I space at least 2 hrs between feedings. The pellets are not measured. This is there approximate amt below. Should i be counting out the pellets? I can't believe how fussy goldfish are! :idont

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Flipper

Thank you! You don't have to count pellets! The amounts right now are good. :rofl

I have hunch that it's the Saki Hikari. Once this has subsided and we are back to normal feedings, I would like for you to cut out everything except frozen stuff and NLS. Then we go from there.

Ok. I will cut out the purple bag. I have already cut pro gold because it DEFINITELY make flipper and skittles extra floaty. I feed it like once a week and just about 5 pellets. I feel like I'm wasting it because I know its good food, but I don't think the fish tolerate it well. Thanks for your help Alex.

I hope your mom has a quick procedure and is in and out of the hosp.!!! :thumb:

She is done. I will see her shortly. :)

The problem with all these premium foods is that some of them will cause some fish to be floaty. We just have to eliminate them.

Sell the rest, or give it away. :)