Sign in to follow this  
anogoodrabblerouser

Introducing a new food?

I was wondering if goldfish need to be introduced to new foods gradually or if they handle new matter well. I got some frozen bloodworms yesterday while I was out and I'm excited to try them out!

The guy I talked to also said that the best method he's found is to thaw the worms in some tank water and then use a dropper to squirt them into the tank. I was wondering if the worms would keep in the fridge after being thawed, and how long, because there's no way my boys can finish one of the little worm-cubes in one sitting.

If you do thaw them and don't use them all, just re-freeze them. They'll be fine. Keep them just like any other food, so for the worms thawed in the fridge, I wouldn't keep them for more than a week, but 6+ months in the freezer.

^ this :)

also, i lay out some plastic wrap & once the big block is par thawed (ie, i can rip it apart without breaking too many worms) i then break it down into smaller pieces and re-freeze it in those portions. so every time i thaw out a new portion, it only gives me 2 days worth of food for my betta. this way, i am definitely sure that i am not spoiling his food :)

Narny knows better for bloodworms, if he says they're good for a week in the fridge, i trust his information and may change my routine slightly :)

Okay, thanks! I think next time I'll go with the sheet instead of the cubes...definitely seems a little easier to work with, as far as making portions.

Have fun, my guys go absolutely BONKERS for bloodworms!!!!