Honey's Eye is swollen and 'droopy'

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

So today is day 10 in the epsom, I believe that was the max? When I do her water change do I just put her straight into freshwater or do I need to reduce the epsom gradually?

• Supporter

Mandy, yes, please remove the Epsom. from this point forward, keep a close watch on her eyes. at any time they become worse instead of getting better, let us know immediately.

you are welcome to keep updating this thread as often as you like :)

• Supporter

i suspect the white that we saw appear was actually the dermis around the eye splitting as there was so much fluid retained in that area. so, now that it's starting to seal up again, we will continue with the metro gelfood, i would like to see another 7 days after the initial 14 days are up. mildly dose the melafix, i would be putting in 1/4 strength from this point foward until the eye is totally sealed up.

what happened to Honey is pretty severe, she is very very very lucky her eye(s) did not totally deflate. normally, when the telescope eye is pierced in any way, it deflates. so, given that her eye did split, she's very lucky she still has it :)

• Supporter

Ok, she is out of the epsom now, 1/4 dose of melafix and she ate her metro gel food. I'm so excited, she ate from my hand today! That's the first time I've ever got a fish to eat from my hand

523436_10151611290573019_456879995_n.jpg

1000252_10151611290598019_86817109_n.jpg

969249_10151611290438019_1933562803_n.jp

1005677_10151611290588019_165447548_n.jp

Do you think this could have happened with my other telescope, the one in my avatar? He lost one eye a couple of months ago and his other eye has never being very big likemy other telescopes, I know it's hard to say since it was so long ago and I have no info, but I am curious

• Supporter

:heart she's looking great!!

hard to say hun, did it present like Honey's did? or was it more like a wound, ie, eye plucking incident? did it gradually become unwell or was it gone all of a sudden?

how long ago did it happen? was there a kokos thread on it?

• Supporter

it's ok hun, as you said, it's been a long time & there is no info. we would only be speculating.

a few ways a telescope can lose an eye.

1. as you already know, popeye untreated can cause great infections in the eye.

2. injury from other fish pecking or coming into contact with ornaments/driftwood etc (aggressively).

3. injury caused by human :o yes, unfortunately, this does happen, either via siphoning or in my case, accident (i dropped a telescope a few years back, his eye split, bled & it deflated)

as long as your fish is happy & healthy, that's all that matters :heart

• Supporter

Yup! You're right, I've just always being curious as to how it happened, I noticed if after I finished cleaning the tank that day (I was refilling it and saw him swim past with no eye and completely freaked out and dropped the hose and almost flooded the loungeroom...:rofl:) He does great without it though, but I do wish I knew about Kokos back then, would have saved me from all the mistakes I made xD

• Supporter

Hi guys, sorry for no photo updates today, but there is hardly any white left, she is eating extremely well (Nibbling on my fingers and begging for more and more!) She gulps down the medicated food very easily and even looks for more! She is full of energy and every time I go to the tub and lift the lid off she swims to the surface :) I'll get photos again tomorrow, promise :) (need to charge my camera battery tonight)

• Supporter

I went to bed not long after I first made this board, and I was so nervous of looking at her in the morning, because I was so scared she would have lost the eye. You guys have being great, and I know she wouldn't have progressed so well without your help