Honey's Eye is swollen and 'droopy'

• Supporter

ok.. we will proceed with making the metrogelfood. the correct dose is 1 gram of Metronidazole for every 100 grams of food. after you've made the food, you will need to weigh your fish as we will need to then feed it 1% of it's bodyweight in medfood daily. the temp in the QT will need to increase to 26C minimum for faster digestion.

because popeye is closely related to the symptoms of dropsy, ie, similar triggers bring it on, i am reluctant to advise aquarium salt for the possible fungus treatment. so, i would prefer that you add full strength Melafix into the water, this is in addition to the Epsom salts.

i would like you do a 100% daily water change, but if you cannot, 2 x 60% wc's daily, keeping good track of the medicines you are removing from the tank and accurately replacing them. also, be sure to match the water temperature & the PH values with every water change.

with the medicated gelfood, i keep the recepie pretty simple. all i do is prepare a cup of peas (if using blender, i leave the skins on too :) ), zucchini, carrot & some freshly crushed garlic. sometimes i even add spinach to it too and a block of bloodworms :) then i add the gelatine as per instructions on the packet WITH an extra 2 teaspoons of gelatine because the food is more solid than the usual foods gelatine sets. it does not matter how much food you make, as you can always divide the mixture to take as much or as little you need for the medicated food & put the rest aside for regular gelfood.

so, make your gelfood mix, add the gelatine :) take 40 grams from that and add 2 tablets of crushed Metronidazole to the 40 grams of gelfood & blend well..

once you've done all that, and it's cooled well, pop it into the fridge to set :)

to the gelfood you've put aside that isn't medicated, you can add anything more you like to it :) even change the flavour of it for them so you have soemthing different to feed the rest of your group :)

good luck! if you need help at anytime, post back :) i left you my number on the express post envelope if you want some phone support :)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

I will hopefully get the gel food made up tonight :) Will have to see what I have in the cupboards, I'll set the heater up and keep an eye on it too, How slowly should I raise the temperature? I will also weigh her soon, it's being a while since I did that :) Thanks so much for the help!

So feed half a gram a day.

If you make 40 grams of food, cut it into 20 equal pieces. That way you have to feed for four days at a time. Freeze all the pieces except the one being used, and thaw as needed. :)

• Supporter

Ok, This will probably sound weird, But how can I make my fish realize this gel stuff is food? They swim up to it, ignore it and swim away! I tried putting some of their regular food in too but they ate that and ignored the gel mix lol.

Honey doesn't seem to realize her lot is edible either

• Supporter

lol.. funniest thing i heard :P

just cut it up into small bite size peices.. once they hoover one piece, they will look for the same smelling yummy stuff until it's all gone :D

• Supporter

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the temperature up, No matter what I set the heater at the temperature wont go above 19.3 c (Before I put the heater in it was at 16, my house is very cold lol) I'm remembering why I ditched this heater from my betta tank now :P I wont be able to get a new one until Tuesday though, All out of money.

(I'm also on my last thermometer, I've dropped two of those digital ones into her tub @_@ *So clumsy*)

• Supporter

i think your fish is starting to look better already. that fuzzy is starting to go away & so is the swell. have you noticed if the eye has pulled back into position? even slightly?

• Supporter

Honey is looking so much better today x3. She eats her medicated food with no problem and is a lot more active now. Her eye still looks a little bumpy/swollen but it's so much better than it was and I think it's slowly moving back to normal position.

1012257_10151600588513019_2088162881_n.j

62400_10151600588468019_1695442274_n.jpg

1001082_10151600588508019_419000342_n.jp

1003004_10151600588323019_1053315659_n.j

942442_10151600588268019_1044578754_n.jp

Thanks so much for all your continued help. Before Kokos I would have being lost in this situation - I am going to be subscribing again next pay :)