Honey's Eye is swollen and 'droopy'

• Supporter
  • Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) : .25 (maybe a little darker, I always find it hard to read
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 300 litres, At least 3 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Not sure of the names, but the one that came with the tank (sits on top of the tank), does 960lph, An internal one that does 900lph and a cannister filter that does 2000lph, so, 3960lph
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week - 70%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday - 90%+ (left just enough to cover the fish)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 - Between 2.5 - 6 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Once a day, just cheap pellets at the moment (Unfortunately :()
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Her eye is really swollen and looks droopy
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She is acting a lot slower than usual - Normally she will be really excited whenever I'm near the tank, but she is just kind of drifting around and not moving her fins much.

Okay, I'm going to come out and say I missed a weekly water change - I was sick and just didn't get to it :( I noticed a while ago her eye looked a bit swollen (Like about 2 weeks ago) But put it down to a lopsided growth spurt. Today I noticed it looks a lot more swollen, and droopy, Very lopsided. She is mainly staying in one spot in the tank, but isn't floating or bottom sitting. When I went to the tank she wasn't ache was acting like she was waiting for food like normal. Just watching her as a type this, she is swimming a bit more but seems to be putting in a lot more effort than normal.

Pictures are uploading

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

l2us.jpg

a5t2.jpg

08wp.jpg

dib8.jpg

And here is a picture of her from last year, so you can see the difference in her eyes

honey_eyes_by_buttpanda-d5msato.jpg

I know telescopes often get lopsided eyes, but it just looks really bad at the moment to me :( She normally swims up the the camera and 'poses' when I'm taking photos, but today she wouldn't face me at all (So that's why no front on shots)

I'm sorry your fish is sick :hug hang in there, someone will be by to help soon. Thank you for filling out the chart!

Edited by mikeydude319

• Supporter

to me, this pic does indicate fluid retention

dib8.jpg

overall, she's looking pretty good, i wonder if you are able to set up a QT and treat with Epsom for 8 days? 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 gallons.

• Supporter

Ok, she is in a 10 gallon tub with 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt, and an airstone

I've never used Epsom before, so forgive my ignorance, but, am I right to assume that I do 100% water changes daily? (while adding the salt to the new water of course)

As far as heating goes - I have a 25w heater, It hasn't being used for ages and I'm not sure how well it works, should I use that? It's the only spare one I have (And are heaters ok in plastic tubs?)

You don't have to do 100% WCs daily, but it will help quite a bit. Is the QT cycled? If not, then you most definitely want to do 100% WCs daily.

Do you have metronidazole? I don't anticipate that you need to use it for the time being (or at all), but it might be good to be prepared.

Try the heater, but use it at a time when you are around to monitor it for a bit. :)

• Supporter

Hi everyone, Wanted to let you know I've contacted Helen to get Metro incase it ends up being needed, and to give a small update.

I just did her water change, and had her in a small container while changing the water, so I took the chance to get a better pic from above

1001698_10151594641383019_540714207_n.jp

She is a bit more active today, and ate so I'm taking that as good

• Supporter

meds are on their way, i sent them express today.. the tracking number is 60400403930096 :)

if you can provide an overhead photo tomorrow, before we medicate, i want to see if the Epsom is doing it's job at 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 gallons :)

• Supporter

Ok, another update,

I've received the metro from Helen, so that's now on hand incase it's needed. Here are pictures from today

1016359_10151596411808019_194270332_n.jp

526795_10151596411688019_1524182368_n.jp

998550_10151596412708019_776799483_n.jpg

57988_10151596411753019_705981252_n.jpg

1002147_10151596411828019_1187732443_n.j

1002872_10151596411983019_1807777972_n.j

(Don't worry I wasn't squeezing her in the last picture lol, just trying to get her to stay still for a second

I'm going to have Helen take a look. She's had a lot more personal experience with telescopes, so her input will be very valuable. :) (You, too, Lori, if you are reading this!)