PraziPro and Prime

Kat_M

Hi guys;

I have a somewhat strange question. I have been doing a lot of research online regarding flukes treatment and I came across a notion that Prime should not be used during flukes treatment as it makes PraziPro less effective. It is supposed to have something to do with slime coat. Has anyone heard anything about it?

I think this has to do with the idea that Prime can stimulate/restore slime coat, hence making it even more difficult for praziquantel to access the flukes, since they would be under the slime.

My responses to this are:

1. We don't really know that Prime does that, and/or how well.

2. Prime evaporates within the first 24 hours, so if you worry about this, do your big WC the day before, and then initiate treatment 24 hours later. Regardless, the fish will have already been stimulated to produce slime, so it actually doesn't really do anything.

3. People have been using Prime with Prazipro for quite some time, and we know that it's working, because we can see the effects in heavily infested fish. Morever, people who have microscopes have shown that follow treatment, flukes go away/decrease. So, I think while there may be initial cause for concern, results have shown differently. :)

What we HAVE been getting everyone to do is to strip the slime coat of the fish by doing a salt dip prior to treatment. This was actually recommended years ago, got lost somewhere in translation, and are being brought back. This is what I would do, and have been doing. Seems to work well for me.

Thanks Alex. I am asking about this in regards to fry. We are getting near 6 weeks mark of Prazi treatment yet we are still having problems. I do massive WCs daily so we always have active Prime in the water. So I am trying to figure out what to do.

At the stage they are in, they should have no problems with the regular dose of 3% for a max of 5 minutes. However, because you have not done it, I would start with 1% and work up, to get some practice.

The dips themselves will be immensely useful as antimicrobial treatments.