The 40g is up! long and pic heavy!

Looks great. Good advice on filling the tank more full. Keep in mind goldies can jump out so just not too full without a lid. Sand can get sucked up into the filter and ruin it as well if you have the filter intake to low and that one is near the bottom.

Edited by DieselPlower

A lid is the next thing I want to look into...would I be able to buy a standard one and cut it to fit around the filter?

Are you looking into hoods or glass canopies? It might be difficult to find a hood to fit that size.

I have a glass canopy on my 40B. There is open space in the back for filters and the canopy comes with plastic that you can cut to fit around your filters. I can post a pic if it would help. (I'm a visual kinda person. I have a hard time imagining what things look like. A pic is worth 2000 words to me! :rofl )

Ask and you shall receive. :rofl

Mine is an aqueon. I can't remember where I got it. I want to say Pet Supplies Plus. Do you have one near you?

Here it is. My filters take up a lot if space so I just have one small section of plastic on there.

Posted Image

Here's the betta tank. Smaller tank but you get a better idea of how you can cut the plastic to fit.

Posted Image

This looks awesome! :)

Can I ask:

is fish tank gravel a bad idea? I LOVE my rainbow tank gravel!! I don't want to get rid of it but I don't like bare bottoms, I have no money for sand right now, and I find sand really really really hard to clean in my opinion. (my boyfriend had it on his turtle tank, it got really gross).

Gravel can be a danger because the fish can get pieces stuck in their mouths. My fish seemed to miss having stuff to forage through though, so I used the small pebbles that I had in the 10g. They're too big to be a danger, but they look nice and the fish can poke around in them. :)