Sign in to follow this  
Goldfish guy

Peas stuck in goldies mouth! Please help!

I fed the goldfish peas today and I didn't realize that they were too big!! One of my ranchus has a pea stuck in its mouth now :( and I don't know what to do!? Please help, I'm freaking out :(

I fed the goldfish peas today and I didn't realize that they were too big!! One of my ranchus has a pea stuck in its mouth now :( and I don't know what to do!? Please help, I'm freaking out :(

Did you remove the shell from the pea before feeding it? Was it cooked and soft?

I've never had a fish choke on a pea.

Did you remove the shell from the pea before feeding it? Was it cooked and soft?

Yes I removed the shell. It seemed soft to me. This is how I prepared the peas:

1. Get frozen peas and put them in a bowl of water.

2. Microwave for 45 secs

3. Remove shells

4. Let em cool off in tank water

5. Feed fish

Sometimes it takes them a supremely long time to chew things, because they love to overstuff their face. What makes you feel like he's stuck? Can you post a vid?

Sometimes it takes them a supremely long time to chew things, because they love to overstuff their face. What makes you feel like he's stuck? Can you post a vid?

I don't know how to post videos :/

I don't know how to post videos :/

Take a video w/ your phone, or a dihital camera, and then use a free hosting site like photobucket to upload. Then post your link here.

Yes I removed the shell. It seemed soft to me. This is how I prepared the peas:

1. Get frozen peas and put them in a bowl of water.

2. Microwave for 45 secs

3. Remove shells

4. Let em cool off in tank water

5. Feed fish

was the water boiling in the bowl? 45 seconds in a bowl of water doesn't seem long. did you split the peas in half first? are they garden size peas or baby size peas. did the fish eat the whole pea or a half? and lastly, what type & size is your fish that has the pea stuck in it's mouth?

The water in the bowl was very hot. I don't remember if it was boiling. All the package said was "100% organic peas". I took the skin off and the two thingies from inside came out. I put the two things that came out in the tank as is. The fish ate a full one of those two things that came out of the pea. Could someone tell me how to post a video?

The fish is a 2 inch ranchu

yes, of course. sign up for your free youtube or photobucket account. upload your video to either one of them from your device by choosing the 'upload' button. once the upload is complete, you will have access to a few links. post the link here in your text as you type & you're done :)

The video will really help; I thought my oranda choked on his first pea but it turns out he was just chewing and I could see it xD

if you really feel that your fish is not getting anywhere with the pea & that it's actually stuck.. the simplest way to try and get it out is this:

1. catch the fish with your hands (normally, this activity would be enough to cause him to spit the item out) but if not,

2. once caught, gently bring the fish to the surface of the water and raise him slowly tail end out of the water so that his mouth is pointing down, until the entire fish is out of the water a few inches. this will cause the fish to spit anything in it's mouth out. hold for 5 seconds and then gently put the fish back into the water. if this does not work, then yes, you have a slight problem and you need to do the following:

get a transparent tub, remove the fish into the tub with some tank water. get some tweezers (plastic preferred) but if not plastic, be very gentle (& remember to sterilize the tweezers you will use to do this with). raise the fish's mouth to the surface and above, this will cause the fish to open his mouth and use the tweezers to get the item out from it's mouth. sometimes, this can cause bleeding. if it's only very mild, no problems, but if there is a lot of blood, you will need to qt the fish and treat with salt. be very gentle though, a fish's mouth is quite thin & fragile although flexible, but can break.

what a cutie! :wub:

he just looks like he's nom nomming away to me.. normally when something is stuck in their mouths, they get very frantic, try to cough/spit it out, bounce of tank walls for assistance etc..

he looks fine & chewing :)

Ok thanks for the help helen :)

If he is eating other food it means it's not stuck any more right??

Ok thanks for the help helen :)

If he is eating other food it means it's not stuck any more right??

you're welcome. yep, that is correct.. i saw nothing but a happy fish, a spunky happy fish :)

Ehehehehehaha he is so cute omg.

I'm glad he's ok..but wahh I cant see the video! Do I need to log in to photobucket to see it?

What a cutie!! Glad he's alright. :)