What veggies can goldfish eat?

Goldfish guy

I decided that I needed to add veggies to my goldies diet. What are some veggies that you guys feed you fish and how do you prepare them for the fish??(other than peas)

With young fish that you have, I don't know that this is necessary, really. Concentrate and growing them out well during this time. If you choose the right foods, veggies isn't really necessary.

Here's a good, long list.

Oh wow, thanks!

I decided that I needed to add veggies to my goldies diet. What are some veggies that you guys feed you fish and how do you prepare them for the fish??(other than peas)

With young fish that you have, I don't know that this is necessary, really. Concentrate and growing them out well during this time. If you choose the right foods, veggies isn't really necessary.

Oh so you only need to feed a lot of veggies to adult fish?

Veggies is nice for provide roughage etc., which you may need, or just for fun. It's not really necessary. I have not fed my fish veggies in about 1.5 years, or more. :rofl (I don't need to, I have tons of good food, including Repashy soilent green and super green.)

Here's a really good article of foods for goldfish. :)

http://www.raingarden.us/feeding.pdf

and an article on why bloodworms are great. :)

http://www.raingarden.us/bloodworms.htm

Veggies is nice for provide roughage etc., which you may need, or just for fun. It's not really necessary. I have not fed my fish veggies in about 1.5 years, or more. :rofl (I don't need to, I have tons of good food, including Repashy soilent green and super green.)

Here's a really good article of foods for goldfish. :)

http://www.raingarden.us/feeding.pdf

and an article on why bloodworms are great. :)

http://www.raingarden.us/bloodworms.htm

Hi Alex.

Curious; In your opinion, is it necessary to feed them veggies if the the diet is Saki-Hikari (purple bag)?

...presuming they are somewhat young and in relatively good health.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

If you have not had any problems with floatiness, have no issues with being able to control the food and not overfeed, there really isn't any need for veggies. :)

But it can be fun for you, and for the fish, since they are foragers. :)

If I was to feed them romaine lettuce or kale would I have to blanch it or can I just wash it and put it in the tank?

I blanch all my veggies (when I used to feed them) just to make them softer and easier to rip apart.

I don't blanch most veggies if I'm putting them in the tank for them to graze on, but if it's what they're eating for an actual meal I always do to soften it up :) I get really light, leafy veggies generally.

If you have not had any problems with floatiness, have no issues with being able to control the food and not overfeed, there really isn't any need for veggies. :)

But it can be fun for you, and for the fish, since they are foragers. :)

Gotcha

:)

If I was to feed them romaine lettuce or kale would I have to blanch it or can I just wash it and put it in the tank?

I have been feeding kale (green, curly variety) lately, but it's too tough for my goldfish to eat raw. I boil it for around 20 minutes with a little garlic. After it cools, I attach it to a veggie clip and my fish goes crazy for it!

I think it is better for the fish to eat veggies at least once every 2 weeks. I feed mine some every week

There are a couple of things that I'd like to highlight from Mr. Hopkins' article concerning veggies:

The wild carp eat a lot of plant matter, although they are fairly selective. When talking about higher forms of plants (vascular plants), the fish are looking for a soft fleshy consistency, particularly the new growth at the tips...If it has a pungent distinctive smell or a coarse texture then the fish may not be interested. While coarse material cannot be eaten when the plant is alive, it can become a source of nutrition when the plant dies and begins to decay. The decay process breaks down and softens fibrous material and the decay organisms themselves (bacteria, fungi and microorganisms) have nutritional value. The fish may consume large quantities of decaying plant matter. The decay organisms are easy to digest, but the plant fibers are not. So, much of the fibrous material passes through the digestive tract and is excreted as fecal waste while the decay microorganisms are digested.

Note above that most of the plant matters offer little to no nutritional values. It's the microorganisms in and/or facilitating the decaying food that offers nutrition to the fish. When you feed your fresh fibrous veggies, you are essentially feeding them empty calories, since they cannot easily digest these foods.

If we provide just enough goldfish pellets to meet their nutritional needs, they will be hungry all the time. Our goldfish pet will not bring much enjoyment if we feel as though we are torturing the poor thing. The solution is to not rely solely on commercial goldfish feed and try to mimic the natural diet to the extent possible. Provide an appropriate amount of goldfish pellets, but supplement the pellets with food stuffs which are high in fiber, but very low in protein and fats. The pellets will insure the fish gets the nutrients and micronutrients it needs. The other stuff will give the fish something to forage on throughout the day and keep material moving through the intestine.

As you can see, the veggies can be helpful as roughage, and to give the fish something to do. However, if this is what you elect to do, then why only twice a week? Do it everyday then.

Sounds good to me. I usually do it at one minute intervals and check the veggies until they're soft. With the Kale, I usually use the leftover green water to make my Repashy, if you feed that.

What is the best way to feed spinach to them?(clip it to the tank or rip it up into pieces?)

I prefer to clip things to the side so they don't set sucked into the filters and the goldies can eat at their own pace :)