1 Goldfish In A 30 Gallon Tank?

Karen T.

My fantail goldfish is in a 30 gl. tank by its self. My fish is 5yrs old. Can I add one more fantail to the tank or not..I've had mixed answers

on this subject..please help!!!

Hi Karen...

The generally accepted rule on Koko's is 15-20 galls for the first fish, and 15-20 for every fish there after.

I have heard of the 2-3 galls per inch of fish rule of thumb also....but obviously I would have to advise the Koko rule first and foremost.

BTW .... How long/big is the resident "Old timer"?

Edited by Phillyn17

What is your filtration and water change routine like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

That is a good question. Personally I think that is enough water for 2 fish but I don't really think it is enough space. Does that make sense? With a good maintenance routine I think it could be done and I also think hour current fish would propably appreciate a friend. What are the dimensions of this tank?

I think two is workable if you have at least 10x turnover on your filters i.e., 300gph filtration and large water changes (more than 50 percent weekly). Make sure if you decide to add one to quarantine the new one for up to a month so you don't bring unwanted disease or pests into your tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

I think two in a 30 will work in most cases with proper care :) now there is the monster fish that some grow into that might make you need to upgrade in the future. But 2 is a good number for a 30. I have 2 in a 29 right now (still small) but still two will be adding a 3rd short term while I'm looking for a bigger tank. 45-50 gal for a long term home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

My fantail goldfish is in a 30 gl. tank by its self. My fish is 5yrs old. Can I add one more fantail to the tank or not..I've had mixed answers

on this subject..please help!!!

Karen, i just wanted to advise, should you decide from advice given here that you would like to introduce another fish to your established tank, we here strongly recommend a QT period minimum of 4 weeks for the new fish. so, you will need a 10 gallon tank/tub, spare filter and if needed, a heater so that you can treat your new fish with salt & Praziquantel. the reasons why we do this is because nowdays, a new fish will most likely have flukes, possible beginnings of Ich and/or internal parasites which could contaminate your 5 year old.

Hi Karen,

I would say that by this point, I would not add anything to the tank. Five years is a very respectable amount of time, and there is no reason why he/she should not go for ten more. When you add any other live creature to the tank, you risk destroying the established ecosystem, and this could threaten your fish's health.

To me, it's not worth it. It's not about whether you have space or not, but all about keeping a great thing going. :)

Alex makes a very good point. I agree.

But tell us how big your fish is. Measure or estimate the "standard length", that is from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin, but not including the tail fin. Your fish will not grow much bigger, so this will tell us if adding a fish to this tank is feasible.

Welcome to the site Karen :) if you are able to quarantine the new fish, have very good filtration and do enough water changes. you should be ok to add another fish.

Edited by rubyraindrops

Welcome to the site Karen :) if you are able to quarantine the newish, have very good filtration and do enough water changes. you should be ok to add another fish.

That's not necessarily true. It doesn't matter how good your filtration or how many WCs you do if the new fish brings in a disease, it brings in a disease.

Always QT. I didn't QT once back before i found Kokos and contaminated my whole tank.

Please QT. it doesn't need to be fancy. Many people use a sterilite tub or a 10 gallon tank. No filter is needed. Large daily WCS, Prazi, salt and observance. :). You won't be sorry for QTing. You may be sorry if you don't.

Welcome to the site Karen :) if you are able to quarantine the newish, have very good filtration and do enough water changes. you should be ok to add another fish.

That's not necessarily true. It doesn't matter how good your filtration or how many WCs you do if the new fish brings in a disease, it brings in a disease.

Always QT. I didn't QT once back before i found Kokos and contaminated my whole tank.

Please QT. it doesn't need to be fancy. Many people use a sterilite tub or a 10 gallon tank. No filter is needed. Large daily WCS, Prazi, salt and observance. :). You won't be sorry for QTing. You may be sorry if you don't.

It seems like QT was advised? and i agree w u both.

Hi Karen,

I would say that by this point, I would not add anything to the tank. Five years is a very respectable amount of time, and there is no reason why he/should not go for ten more. When you add any other live creature to the tank, you risk destroying the established ecosystem, and this could threaten your fish's health.

To me, it's not worth it. It's not about whether you have space or not, but all about keeping a great thing going. :)

Ooohhhh the wise Dnalex making a good point as always. You are like the Yoda of fishkeeping man.

My bad. You're right DP. I misread it as "if you are not able to QT . . . ". That full moon gets me again! And it's Monday! Double whammy!! Thanks for correcting me. :teehee

I was advised to only keep one fish in a 29-30 gallon because there isn't enough space for two fish to grow. I have heard though that this can be done with two particularly small fish so the size of your current resident is important. My Wacken is in a 29 by herself and she's growing up big and fast so it isn't feasible for me. She's goona be a monster! LOL

• Admin

Me personally wouldnt add another fish.

1. 5 years is a long time alone and introducing another fish may just stress the main guy out to much.

2. the room for both fish... I have 2 in a 50 gallon tank, I dont see having them in a 30 gallon tank, just not enough for them to turn around.

Just my :twocents

My bad. You're right DP. I misread it as "if you are not able to QT . . . ". That full moon gets me again! And it's Monday! Double whammy!! Thanks for correcting me. :teehee

A typical Koko member, great people that are never too proud to apologise or accept they made a mistake .... however minor.

:sorry:: .... two small words with a very big meaning.

Well done Lisa ... good on you!! :thumbs:

Believe it or not I actually read it the same way as you did the first time! I reread it a couple times cause I was surprised :)

that's why i said if you're able to quarantine....lol :) Edited by rubyraindrops