Black Moor - Frayed Fins, White Patches & Lethargy

Hi guys

* Ammonia less than 0.6 but more than 0, Nitrates less than 5, nitrites 0, ph 7.5. (no readings for tap but they are typically

stable, show no nitrates and nitrites, and have an identical Ph). Tested using a Nutrafin master testing kit.
* Water temperature: 21 degrees Celsius (unheated)

*220 Litre tank running for about six months

* Fluval 305 External Canister filter

* WC typically 50 % per week, sometimes more, last change around five days ago, though I did change 30 litres today (roughly 10-20 %, doing some substrate cleaning)
* Water is treated with seachem prime
* Four fish, all quite small, all under a year old or thereabouts

* They are fed approx twice a day, gel food up until two weeks ago but I have them exclusively on bloodworms and spinach

at the moment as my Oranda doesn't respond well to other foods

So, my black moor -Prince - has a history of developing fungal infections or perhaps just slime coat build up on his fins,

he's a little bit raggedy looking as a result.

I noticed a few days ago that he had a white-ish buildup on his dorsal fin and what looked like a little red mark, perhaps from

an injury? In any case, that mark has now disappeared but the whiteness remains.

I've given him two salt dips in the last few days. I've noticed that the's also been hanging out motionless in the top right corner of the tank where the current is weakest. Once he sees me he's back to normal but I've seen him do it pretty much every day.

Here are a few pictures

The White-ness:

v0DFnFt.jpg

Hanging out in the corner of the tank:

536QmRB.jpg

Fin damage from previous bouts of fungus/rot?

GG71j9G.jpg

More of the same:

PTtoyS4.jpg

Edited by doddmatic

Hi Derek,

I would actually salt the tank to 0.3% for a couple of weeks to deal with the excess slime.

As for the floating in the corner, is he having trouble swimming, or is he OK? Have you seen his poop recently? When was the last fast?

Edit: My apologies. Thank you to TeleSC and Lisa for pointing out the very obvious pineconing, which I somehow missed. Due to this, we cannot salt, and we will need to treat with metronidazole.

Do you have some available? Is he eating?

Edited by dnalex

It's funny - about the pine coning - I noticed it too but thought maybe I was being paranoid. Should I try to get some clearer pictures tonight?

What could it indicate? Despite his fin troubles and accidents prone nature he's never really been ill.

His poop is normal, and I've never once seen him exhibit floatiness. He also has a voracious appetite and has never refused food.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

@ alex, he hasn't had any trouble swimming at all and his poop seems fine. Ever since I switched them to worms and spinach they've become quite efficient poopers, no floaty or long stringy turds at all really. And he's never had trouble on this front.

The last fast was about a week ago, and today as I'm away all day. I'll salt the as soon as I get in this evening.

Thanks

It looks like dropsy. Dropsy isn't a disease, but a symptom to an underlying cause. Do you have a QT tank? He will need to be separated.

Edited by mikeydude319

@ alex, he hasn't had any trouble swimming at all and his poop seems fine. Ever since I switched them to worms and spinach they've become quite efficient poopers, no floaty or long stringy turds at all really. And he's never had trouble on this front.

The last fast was about a week ago, and today as I'm away all day. I'll salt the as soon as I get in this evening.

Thanks

No salt, the salt will retain the fluids in the fish which isn't good. The only salt that we may need to use is plain Epsom salt. We will see what a mod says.

• Supporter

@ alex, he hasn't had any trouble swimming at all and his poop seems fine. Ever since I switched them to worms and spinach they've become quite efficient poopers, no floaty or long stringy turds at all really. And he's never had trouble on this front. The last fast was about a week ago, and today as I'm away all day. I'll salt the as soon as I get in this evening. Thanks Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just reading through I hope your fish gets better. I think they said not to salt because of the pine conning. I'm not an expert at all just want to make sure you didn't miss that!

Hi Alex, I can't actually recall. Karen arranged for me to get them from UK Becs. It's not showing up in my Paypal history and I can only see my Koko's posts for June.

It was just a few white tablets, I don't think there was a brand name, just a generic medical name. They're sitting in a container in my house and I'm at work. If you can recall I had a sick Ranchu at the time and karen arranged for me to get Repashy and Antibiotics, although sadly they didn't arrive in time for poor Yoshi.

What antibiotics do you have? Do you have Metro-Meds? I can't remember.

It might be Metronidazole but I'll have to confirm that.

So, I imagine I should be looking to do the following when I get in?

1) QT the fish

2) Make up some medicated gel food

I don't have an extra heater at the moment but I can get one tomorrow, at present the water is averaging 21 degrees C because we're having an unseasonably

warm 'heat wave' in Ireland ("summer" to everybody else)

Hi guys, yes it's metronidazole 250 mg, just got a PM from Becs to confirm (sorry Becs, can't reply to your message from my phone)

Hi guys

I got in tonight and set up my QT tank. It's a 40 litre with a cycled filter in it.

I have to confess to being a little stumped by the metro dosage though.

I read somewhere that the metro should be 0.5 % of the food weight? Meaning I should

be able to produce 50 grams of food from one 250 mg tablet?

Then I am to feed him 1% of his body weight in medicated food per day? He weighs 12 grams

as far as I can tell so I should feed him 1/8 of a gram?

I'm confused :wacko:

Hi guys

I got in tonight and set up my QT tank. It's a 40 litre with a cycled filter in it.

I have to confess to being a little stumped by the metro dosage though.

I read somewhere that the metro should be 0.5 % of the food weight? Meaning I should

be able to produce 50 grams of food from one 250 mg tablet?

Then I am to feed him 1% of his body weight in medicated food per day? He weighs 12 grams

as far as I can tell so I should feed him 1/8 of a gram?

I'm confused :wacko:

It's actually 1% of the food, so with a 250 mg tablet, you make 25 grams of food with it. Then cut this into 50 0.5 gram pieces. Each piece is enough medicated food for 4 days. :)

Hi Alex

Yes, I gave him a piece yesterday, did yo say to give him one every four days? Or a little bit each day?

The portion I gave him yesterday was 1/50th approx of 25 grams

Have you started feeding him the metronidazole gel food? The very good news is that the pineconing is not prominent at all.