Sign in to follow this  
Goldfish guy

Minimum tank size for 5 fancy goldfish

What's the minimum tank size for 5 fancy goldfish (ranchu). Would a 75 gallon be to small??

It could be done but you would need very good filtration and very regular maintenance. I would go for a 100 gallon if you could. Also I believe a 90 gallon is the same size as a 75 just a bit taller. I like the 100 idea because it gives you some breathing room.

We recommend 15-20 gallons per fish, provided you absolutely stay on top of your water changes. The 75 gallon would be the bare minimum that you could feasibly do, but I would probably urge you to stick closer to the 100 gallons. This is especially if you were considering a fair amount of gravel/decorations, which would displace some of your water.

Edited by yafashelli

Do they make 100 gallon tanks?? Do you know anywhere online to get a tank that size?

75 is the absolute minimum, but you really want 100. :)

100 gallon tanks come in two flavors, the 5 or 6 foot long kind.

If you already have a 75 i would go down to 3 than you have the room for them. And trust me they may look small in the tank now but they will definetly grow out to the tank.

I would shoot for a 100 gallon.

I have 4 in an 80 and feel that I could do 5 with my maintenance schedule.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you already have a 75 i would go down to 3 than you have the room for them. And trust me they may look small in the tank now but they will definetly grow out to the tank.

This. I have 3 big fancies in the tank and they fill it out nicely. A bristlenose pleco might be a nice addition to that as they do stay small.

If you have the room I would go for a 100 gallon.

Look at Craigslist for a large tank. They are still expensive, but you get a better buy than on a smaller tank. People buy these big expensive systems then find them too much work.

But you're in FL. Ponds are fine year around, and far cheaper than big aquariums. Look at these ranchu digs.

A ranchu pond is on my bucket list! If you live in FL, you have the perfect climate for one.. Lucky! ;)

I agree with others.... 100 gallons for 5. (or a pond type situation as shakaho suggested)

A 100gal tank would be nice. But as we all know a larger tank is big $$$$

So. One option if you can fit a 100gal bit cant afford it and really have your heart on 5 ranchus, get two smaller tanks.. maybe a 40b and saya 75gal or maybe two 55gal tanks.

I wanted a single 6' tank in my lounge room but I looked into it and I bought two 40gal and still had enuff for filters for same price as a single 6'

This then can allow you to separate your ranchus if you wish ie a tank for the boys and a tank for the girls... etc

Just another idea.

But as stated try for atleast 20gal per fish if possible

The only tank I have near me is a 75 gallon and it's selling for $200 new. A 90 gallon tank would cost me $550 shipping included. I didn't want to do this but I might have to settle for the 75 gallon. Will my fish suffer/get stunted in this size tank?

I doubt that your fish will be stunted in a 75 gallon.

As they get older, your maintenance routine may need to increase, and you will have to deal with the problem of increasing nitrates. However, there are great ways to deal with this, including building such things as bog filters. Fortunately for us all, shakaho has dedicated quite a bit of time demonstrating the various types, and if you build one of these, it will be quite beneficial. :)

These are baby ranchu, yes? For now the 75 will be fine. When they get bigger you may need to put 1or 2 of them in a separate tank. Or do more frequent WCs . . . .

You are on top of things. I'm sure you'll know when it's time to either upgrade or split them into a couple of tanks. :)

Just be sure to keep us updated with lots of pics. :teehee

Ok thanks!! Water changes aren't a problem for me because of my aqueon water changer.