Planting My Goldfish Tank

brittie

I ordered a bunch of a plants from Aquatic Magic (ebay) for my 29g tank with 2 Goldfish. As I am at the stocking limit I wanted to improve the water quality. (plants provide oxygen, etc) so while I am waiting I thought I best do research. I recently replaced my gravel with carbiSea TMS. I have a Fluval 206.

To help the sand release and deal abit of potential algae issue, can I add a snail? (mystery, etc). Can't find Nerite Snails in my area. i realize they make lots of babies and I am prepared to do a lot of egg removal haha.

How does one clean a planted tank? I have a python water changer. I currently have a driftwood with java fern and when I clean (weekly 80%) I need to move it due to my goldfish loving to lay below it when they sleep resulting in lots of trapped poops. So, do I just siphon carefully, very carefully and deal with the fact that I can no longer move the driftwood?

The nice thing about sand is that the poop stays on the top. Just swirl your siphon over the water to pick up the poops, and done. Be sure to stir the sand around the tank, every so often, but try not to disturb the root systems of your plants. How heavily planted will your tank be, and what's your substrate depth?

Pics are, of course, a requirement. ;)

because you are already fully stocked I would not add any snails, snails increase your bioload. It is better to just clean the algae by hand in this case (plus mystery snails don't really do much algae eating/cleaning)

EDIT: sniped :P

I apologize, I got super busy with work and haven't been able to get on and respond!!

okay, so no snail. The brightness of my condo's living room paired with the Aqueon LED light fixiture (2 White, 1 colormax led strips) sure causes green algae! At least it is green I guess haha. I can grow algae easily, if only I could say the same for aquarium plants.

My plants arrived today!! So once done, I will have amazon sword, med/large java fern and a medium sized narrow leaf on driftwood, 3 amazonicus, 3 balansae, 2 wendtiiGreen. So at this point not heavily planted, as most of the plants are mostly roots, BUT if I manage to not kill them. It eventually will become heavily planted. My algae scrubber is really fat and I cannot fit it between driftwood and glass, so I have to move the driftwood for that as well. I found an old toothbrush the other day that I disinfected/cleaned. My hand/arm will get submerged, but it will be worth it.

Forgot to say about substrate -- i used a 20LB bag, so its about half inch to an inch. But my current plant keeps uprotting, so i will be adding more this weekend before I plant. and prob aim for 1.5 inches.

Edited by brittie

It might be easier for you to put your sword in a pot, or a bowl, as they have massive root systems, and often require 2"+ substrate depth. They grow very quickly, in the right conditions, so get ready to see some green! :)

It might be easier for you to put your sword in a pot, or a bowl, as they have massive root systems, and often require 2"+ substrate depth. They grow very quickly, in the right conditions, so get ready to see some green! :)

:goodpost

the other thing you can do if you don't want to pot is to slope your substrate so it is deeper in the back (2 inches should be good) and shallower toward the front. This is what I do :D

Thanks for the help! The roots stay in the substrate, but the plant base comes out and floats haha. I added more, so we will see how it goes.

I hope I can manage to get the plants to grow, theyre all stubby root things right now. not too pretty :(

you'll want to add some root tabs to the substrate if you haven't already btw :)

It can also take awhile for plants to root and stay down in the substrate, especially with goldies constantly bumping into them and picking at them, so be patient with that, you may need to keep replanting for a little bit.

You could also try using rocks around the base of a plant to help keep it down while it roots if it is a larger plant like a sword.

My current plants and plants i just recieved have decent roots. I just find the roots stay in sand, but the base hoovers. Otherwise, it stays in!

IMG-20130725-00092.jpg?t=1374813045 Here's a small, quick cellphone photo. I couldn't wait, I had to get the plants in my tank! I will probably move them as they begin to grow.