Cheapest place to buy CaribSea sand?

Why not start with one 20lb bag, and you can add another, when you have more money? If you're doing TMS, Walmart has these great black stones that you could superglue your plants to, and not have the plant weights stick out so much.

Yeah, maybe I'll just stock up on sand a bag at a time or wait for sales. I kind of like how my plants are all spread out and look "planted", but the rocks might be easier

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a lot of the cheaper places had an extra shipping fee when I went to purchase it due to the weight of the shipped item. I found it more cost effective to buy it in person. I got a 20 pound bag and only used 3/4 of it for my 55 gallon. It is not planted but gave me about an inch of coverage until the gang moves it around. sg did a great you tube video on Tahitian moon sand. One was about adding it and another about cleaning it since there is a potential for gas pockets in the sand you have to stir it up. I think it is lovely n cleaner than I thought n I don't suck up too much with my python since its heave...oh and my fish love it!

I figured shipping would be an arm and leg so I vote for in person, too. You think I would only need 20lbs? I want to "plant" my plastic plants in it so I need at least an inch of sand I think, at least in the middle. My gravel makes me nervous :( I would looooove moon sand!

So mine was not deep enough to bury my fake plants. Plus, my fish are "decorators" and like to tear everything up when I am not home. I anchored all my plants to suction cups with fishing line and stuck them to the sides and bottom of the tank so they would stay in place. Plus they do not get gunk stuck under them that way. So far so good with the exception of one that they keep knocking off (I think they just don't like it.) I used these black suction cups from Lees that are pretty heavy duty. I also painted the bottom of my tank black to you don't see any thin spots. The moon sand has a little sparkle in it and is very pretty! You will love it!

I forgot about suction cups--that's a great idea!! :thumbup2: I actually use them on my big marineland bamboo plant. :) You just suction them to the tank bottom, and put your sand on top. Then you can keep your sand layer nice and thin. :)

I wondered if that was a thing! My plants always come unplanted when I gravel vac and it's soooooo annoying. That would be cool if I could get away with less sand. I don't think my fish would mess with it that much because they're used to picking up gravel

I found a lot of the cheaper places had an extra shipping fee when I went to purchase it due to the weight of the shipped item. I found it more cost effective to buy it in person. I got a 20 pound bag and only used 3/4 of it for my 55 gallon. It is not planted but gave me about an inch of coverage until the gang moves it around. sg did a great you tube video on Tahitian moon sand. One was about adding it and another about cleaning it since there is a potential for gas pockets in the sand you have to stir it up. I think it is lovely n cleaner than I thought n I don't suck up too much with my python since its heave...oh and my fish love it!

I figured shipping would be an arm and leg so I vote for in person, too. You think I would only need 20lbs? I want to "plant" my plastic plants in it so I need at least an inch of sand I think, at least in the middle. My gravel makes me nervous :( I would looooove moon sand!

So mine was not deep enough to bury my fake plants. Plus, my fish are "decorators" and like to tear everything up when I am not home. I anchored all my plants to suction cups with fishing line and stuck them to the sides and bottom of the tank so they would stay in place. Plus they do not get gunk stuck under them that way. So far so good with the exception of one that they keep knocking off (I think they just don't like it.) I used these black suction cups from Lees that are pretty heavy duty. I also painted the bottom of my tank black to you don't see any thin spots. The moon sand has a little sparkle in it and is very pretty! You will love it!

I forgot about suction cups--that's a great idea!! :thumbup2: I actually use them on my big marineland bamboo plant. :) You just suction them to the tank bottom, and put your sand on top. Then you can keep your sand layer nice and thin. :)

I wondered if that was a thing! My plants always come unplanted when I gravel vac and it's soooooo annoying. That would be cool if I could get away with less sand. I don't think my fish would mess with it that much because they're used to picking up gravel

Can I tell you what's even cooler?

These are amazing, and they'll hardly show, beneath the sand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lees-Aquarium-Stealth-Sleek-Suction-Cup-Airline-Tubing-Holders-Black-6pk-/261249347803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3acb0db

I just bought Caribsea moonlight sand at Drs. Foster & Smith. It was $18.75 for a twenty pound bag. Free shipping over $50.00, and no extra weight charge, either. I shopped all over and that's the best deal I could find. PetSmart is $27.99 and even with my son's employee discount, it was still the best price. It was worth every penny and my tank is just beautiful. I love it!

I just bought Caribsea moonlight sand at Drs. Foster & Smith. It was $18.75 for a twenty pound bag. Free shipping over $50.00, and no extra weight charge, either. I shopped all over and that's the best deal I could find. PetSmart is $27.99 and even with my son's employee discount, it was still the best price. It was worth every penny and my tank is just beautiful. I love it!

Thanks! Yeah, Petsmart is a ripoff. What color did you get? I was gonna get some other stuff for my betta tank so maybe I would make it to the $50 mark. I can't wait to try it!

I got the white. It's called "moonlight sand". It's just beautiful. I kept waffling about whether or not to get it, and I'm really glad I did. An unexpected advantage is how much easier it is to put in plants. I have a 120, and it's a long reach into it. I always found it hard to push plants down into the pebbles I used to have and it tears up my weak little nails something fierce. Not to mention the bruises on the inside of my arms. With sand it's just this gentle little push and done!

Here's the fun part - watching my big fat ryukins, previously used to the resistance from gravel, totally face plant into the super soft sand when they're going after food! Sooo cute!!

I got the white. It's called "moonlight sand". It's just beautiful. I kept waffling about whether or not to get it, and I'm really glad I did. An unexpected advantage is how much easier it is to put in plants. I have a 120, and it's a long reach into it. I always found it hard to push plants down into the pebbles I used to have and it tears up my weak little nails something fierce. Not to mention the bruises on the inside of my arms. With sand it's just this gentle little push and done!

Here's the fun part - watching my big fat ryukins, previously used to the resistance from gravel, totally face plant into the super soft sand when they're going after food! Sooo cute!!

Omg I totally feel you. I hate replanting the plants after I vacuum the gravel and my nails get all messed up! :cry I can't barely reach the bottom...the tank goes up to my armpits lol. White sand would be pretty. How many 20lb bags did you get? How big is the base on your 120 and how deep is the sand? Just trying to decide how much I need for my 60. It's more tall and not so long, so maybe I need less! Fingers crossed.

My tank is 60" wide and 18" deep and 24" tall (I think - up to my arm pits anyway). I got six bags and it gave me about 1.5". I have one of those Marineland LED lights and the shimmer effect on the white sand is just, well, wow! Just get it, you won't be sorry!

I laughed out loud the first time I fed them with the new sand in. They were like, FOOD! And then it was like this slo-mo pile drive into the sand. Then they start pinwheeling their little pectoral fins backwards trying get back up! Aaaaand they turned right around and did it again. Total derps :)

My tank is 60" wide and 18" deep and 24" tall (I think - up to my arm pits anyway). I got six bags and it gave me about 1.5". I have one of those Marineland LED lights and the shimmer effect on the white sand is just, well, wow! Just get it, you won't be sorry!

I laughed out loud the first time I fed them with the new sand in. They were like, FOOD! And then it was like this slo-mo pile drive into the sand. Then they start pinwheeling their little pectoral fins backwards trying get back up! Aaaaand they turned right around and did it again. Total derps :)

I think my tank is the same dimensions as yours but it's 12" deep instead of 18". Maybe I could get by with 4 bags? I just have regular stock lights, so maybe the white would lighten up my tank.

That must be quite a sight! I can't wait until my fish are big enough to get derpy like that. They're small enough right now to still be good swimmers haha

I think four bags would be fine. You may already know this but the sand comes in two versions - Instant Aquarium and Super Naturals. The Instant Aquarium (at Fosters & Smith) is packed damp and the white sand looks kinda dull. Once it's in the tank, though, it's really bright. It will really show off your fish make your tank look bigger. Your baby derps are gonna love it!

I have the CaribSea Tahitian Moon in my 38 gallon tank. I ended up getting two from a LPS and I have about an inch of coverage. I love the look but Ruby loves to move this stuff around and I am always taking apart my HOB filters motor to clean out the sand.

I really like that Tahitian Moon sand! I especially like the way it looks with pretty green plants in it. Some tubby little ranchus swimming around...whoops, started to daydream a little there. But seriously, I'd love to do a setup with that someday...

I prefer the lighter sand after having both. Although the black looks great, it makes the tank dark, and I believe that the metallic parts in it are more likely to interfere with some impellers (it killed my Penguins). That said, I've had TMS for almost two years with few issues.

For light sand, I got pool filter sand and multi-purpose sand from the hardware store. It was super cheap compared to the CaribSea sands.

I think that for my 55, I got three bags of sand because I wanted it a little deeper because it was a planted tank.

I am in British Columbia, Canada and my Pets*mart is clearing out the TMS. I got a 20lb bag for $12.97!!!! :)

I'm also from BC, do you know if it's an ongoing sale? Or is your petsm*rt just getting rid of inventory? :D

I really like that Tahitian Moon sand! I especially like the way it looks with pretty green plants in it. Some tubby little ranchus swimming around...whoops, started to daydream a little there. But seriously, I'd love to do a setup with that someday...

This is what one of my tanks look like. :rofl

I think four bags would be fine. You may already know this but the sand comes in two versions - Instant Aquarium and Super Naturals. The Instant Aquarium (at Fosters & Smith) is packed damp and the white sand looks kinda dull. Once it's in the tank, though, it's really bright. It will really show off your fish make your tank look bigger. Your baby derps are gonna love it!

What's the difference between the Instant Aq and Super Naturals? I think white would be pretty, especially in my goldie tank because it's planted kind of like a pond or river and black might look funny. I'm sure my babies would love it! :heart

I prefer the lighter sand after having both. Although the black looks great, it makes the tank dark, and I believe that the metallic parts in it are more likely to interfere with some impellers (it killed my Penguins). That said, I've had TMS for almost two years with few issues.

For light sand, I got pool filter sand and multi-purpose sand from the hardware store. It was super cheap compared to the CaribSea sands.

I think that for my 55, I got three bags of sand because I wanted it a little deeper because it was a planted tank.

I think I will like the white better because my stock lighting is so dim and makes the tank dark already. Maybe the white would reflect some light around the tank :) I'm gonna get some prefilter tubes off amazon to protect my AquaClears and also to keep the little lettuce pieces out of my filter intakes. I'm thinking I might need 3 or 4 bags....we'll see!

The instant comes wet, and pre-rinsed.

If you can, get the instant. It'll save you the pain of having to rinse. :)

Oh I see. Rinsing gravel is hard enough, I can't imagine rinsing sand! :yikes

Instant Aquarium is packed wet and comes with packets of beneficial bacteria as well as a water clarifier. Super Naturals is dry and only has the clarifier.

The clarifier works very well, by the way. I added my sand on a Friday afternoon - I took my fish out first, of course - and by Sunday afternoon my water was gin clear. It will look very cloudy when you first put it in, but it doesn't last long. My fish were only out for 2-3 hours. On Saturday it was about 95% clear and by Sunday it was completely gone.

Like Flips said it's not too bad. What I did with the Super Naturals was to make an opening in the top two corners of the bag, not too big, and then stuck a hose in one of the openings. Attatched the hose to an outside faucet (I actually did this in my sump sink in the basement) turn it on and just rinse. The lighter "dirty" stuff will be flushed out the hole in the opposite corner. Move the end of the hose around to really stir up the sand and get all the way down into the bag. The water coming out of the hole will start to become clearer and clearer. When you are satisfied (I'm anal so it took awhile) move on to the next bag.

As Tank Girl said there is a water clarifier that you add to the tank to make the floaty stuff flocculate and drop to the bottom. My tank was pretty clear on the first day and by the second day it was almost completely gone.