Cheapest place to buy CaribSea sand?

I want to switch my 60gal from gravel over to sand and I'm planning a 10gal betta tank with sand for this fall. CaribSea is so expensive! Anyone have any advice on where is the cheapest place to get it or what a good price is? Also how much I need haha :rofl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jessie

I got mines at Petsmart for $19.00 I don't know if this is the same price in your area, it's always best to check thier website. :)

I got mines at Petsmart for $19.00 I don't know if this is the same price in your area, it's always best to check thier website. :)

I think I need 40lb and it was like $30 at my Petsmart :(

Edit: it was 20lbs for $30 :yikes

Foster & Smith has it for pretty cheaply, and it's free shipping above $50, I think.

They have sort of a lame selection and I think it would end up being ~$40 for 40lb :( Edited by LauraThe3xplora

• Supporter

I found a lot of the cheaper places had an extra shipping fee when I went to purchase it due to the weight of the shipped item. I found it more cost effective to buy it in person. I got a 20 pound bag and only used 3/4 of it for my 55 gallon. It is not planted but gave me about an inch of coverage until the gang moves it around. sg did a great you tube video on Tahitian moon sand. One was about adding it and another about cleaning it since there is a potential for gas pockets in the sand you have to stir it up. I think it is lovely n cleaner than I thought n I don't suck up too much with my python since its heave...oh and my fish love it!

I found a lot of the cheaper places had an extra shipping fee when I went to purchase it due to the weight of the shipped item. I found it more cost effective to buy it in person. I got a 20 pound bag and only used 3/4 of it for my 55 gallon. It is not planted but gave me about an inch of coverage until the gang moves it around. sg did a great you tube video on Tahitian moon sand. One was about adding it and another about cleaning it since there is a potential for gas pockets in the sand you have to stir it up. I think it is lovely n cleaner than I thought n I don't suck up too much with my python since its heave...oh and my fish love it!

I figured shipping would be an arm and leg so I vote for in person, too. You think I would only need 20lbs? I want to "plant" my plastic plants in it so I need at least an inch of sand I think, at least in the middle. My gravel makes me nervous :( I would looooove moon sand!

You will need 1/2 the volume of the tank in pounds, so about 35 pounds total. I actually used 40 pounds for my 55 and 60 pounds for my 100.

Yikes! How deep does that end up being??

Guest Jessie

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147295&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I found this, you can get 3 bags. ( which would equal about 27.00 and 45 pounds) But I can't seem to find the shipping price. And if you want the midnight sand, it would cost 4 bags for 44.00$

Also, you would have extra sand.

Edited by Jessie

You will need 1/2 the volume of the tank in pounds, so about 35 pounds total. I actually used 40 pounds for my 55 and 60 pounds for my 100.

Half an inch or less! :yikes

Whatttttt that doesn't even make sense! Crap. Maybe I'll try it in my betta tank first. Why is it so expensive? :(

Guest Jessie

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147295&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I found this, you can get 3 bags. ( which would equal about 27.00 and 45 pounds) But I can't seem to find the shipping price. And if you want the midnight sand, it would cost 4 bags for 44.00$

Also, you would have extra sand. For your betta. ( the midnight sand seems to be a white sand, the second one looks like Tahitian moon sand. So the " cool black sand " will be 27.00 for 45 pounds, but I do not know the shipping price I can't find it anywhere. :(

Edited by Jessie, Today, 09:45 PM.

Edited by Jessie

Also, you would have extra sand. For your betta. ( the midnight sand seems to be a white sand, the second one looks like Tahitian moon sand. So the " cool black sand " will be 27.00 for 45 pounds, but I do not know the shipping price I can't find it anywhere. :(

Edited by Jessie, Today, 09:45 PM.

That one looks like it's for planted tanks? Also I think I want to avoid shipping because it will be a lot :(

Whatttttt that doesn't even make sense! Crap. Maybe I'll try it in my betta tank first. Why is it so expensive? :(

If you think about it, it does. It's sand after all, and is quite compact. :)

If you think about it, it does. It's sand after all, and is quite compact. :)

Yeah I guess you're right. I better save up for a ton of it!

Why not start with one 20lb bag, and you can add another, when you have more money? If you're doing TMS, Walmart has these great black stones that you could superglue your plants to, and not have the plant weights stick out so much.

• Supporter

I figured shipping would be an arm and leg so I vote for in person, too. You think I would only need 20lbs? I want to "plant" my plastic plants in it so I need at least an inch of sand I think, at least in the middle. My gravel makes me nervous :( I would looooove moon sand!

So mine was not deep enough to bury my fake plants. Plus, my fish are "decorators" and like to tear everything up when I am not home. I anchored all my plants to suction cups with fishing line and stuck them to the sides and bottom of the tank so they would stay in place. Plus they do not get gunk stuck under them that way. So far so good with the exception of one that they keep knocking off (I think they just don't like it.) I used these black suction cups from Lees that are pretty heavy duty. I also painted the bottom of my tank black to you don't see any thin spots. The moon sand has a little sparkle in it and is very pretty! You will love it!

So mine was not deep enough to bury my fake plants. Plus, my fish are "decorators" and like to tear everything up when I am not home. I anchored all my plants to suction cups with fishing line and stuck them to the sides and bottom of the tank so they would stay in place. Plus they do not get gunk stuck under them that way. So far so good with the exception of one that they keep knocking off (I think they just don't like it.) I used these black suction cups from Lees that are pretty heavy duty. I also painted the bottom of my tank black to you don't see any thin spots. The moon sand has a little sparkle in it and is very pretty! You will love it!

I forgot about suction cups--that's a great idea!! :thumbup2: I actually use them on my big marineland bamboo plant. :) You just suction them to the tank bottom, and put your sand on top. Then you can keep your sand layer nice and thin. :)

I used 1 20b bag in my 55 gallon with a small bag of crushed coral as well and have lots of coverage )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wow everyone has different amounts for their 55s. Maybe they're different sizes. My water is already pretty hard, would adding crushed coral be bad?