Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Betta In Heaven, Happy & Alive!

:hug I will bring back the round tail. With no divider, I will have Onxy. Could I put anything with him since he will be by himself?

I think that this is best, and easiest, but wait to see what #2 says. He's the betta king.

:hug I will bring back the round tail. With no divider, I will have Onxy. Could I put anything with him since he will be by himself?

I think that this is best, and easiest, but wait to see what #2 says. He's the betta king.
Okay :)

The pH is 7 due to the driftwood. Is that okay for bettas? If yes, then what types of fish could I put with him? This is my first Betta tank and I want it to be awesome!

Why not leave it as just the betta? I think that will make it the most awesome home for him.

I have no idea with regards to the pH, so I'll leave that up to the Pros.

Okay :). But the problem is though, I can't get my filter to go right in the middle of the divider. (That is what you would like me to do, correct?). I can put it as close to the divider as I can though.

Narny is going to come in behind me to verify, as I know precious little about betta fish, but here's my thoughts.

1. He's saying you need a divider that they cannot see through, so that they don't stress each other out. You have one that's see-through, so he says to put the filter in the middle, and make it less see-through with dense plant cover.
  2. You cannot put the filter in the middle of the tank, as referencing this quoted post, and I doubt that your planting will be dense enough, in the beginning, to completely cover the divider for the 10 gallon. It takes a while for plants to grow in, and establish themselves. Unless you're starting with a super duper mega boatload, I just don't know how you'll manage to make a sensible home for 2 of them.

My suggestion, and I know this doesn't sound nice, is to take the other fish back. Make this tank for one betta only, and make your life so much less complicated. Putting any fish in a one gallon container is not the right thing to do. If you cannot immediately set up a perfect home for an animal, then you should not be taking it out of a pet store.

Please don't bring home any more fish. No otto cats, no plecos, no tetras. No more fish. Especially if you're still bent on dividing this tank.

I'm not saying this to be mean--I'm saying it because I care.

I 100% agree :)

It's definitely hard taking fish back to the store, particularly bettas since most will be put back into 1/2 gallon tanks, but you've got to go in with an optimistic view that someone will take the betta and give him a good home 1 gallon is just incredibly small for any fish, particularly ones requiring heating, so if you do want a new betta in the future, make sure you can supply 5 gallons minimum to the fish prior to purchasing :)

In regards to tank mates, yes, you can certainly try some, but give it a month or so. You need to get the tank up to a standard where it is suitable and 'somewhat' safe enough to consider bringing in other fish into your bettas environment. Regardless of whether you add the betta first, or the betta last, he will assume the tank as his own territory. Get it nicely planted and well grown in, then look at some options for tank mates that will suit what you have done with the tank. For now, I'd keep it as a one-fish tank for a little while until you've got everything sorted to start considering tank mates

Okay :). Sounds good!

Bettas live in waters around 6.5 which is caused by tannins leached from debris that fall in their natural habitat. Anywhere between 6.5-8.0 is fine provided it's stable

Yes, it is definitely stable :)

awesome! It's perfectly fine :) Keep us updated on the tanks progress! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it :)

I will! :D. I will be getting my plants and flouramax bulb on hopefully Tuesday. But for now, it's just java fern. There's moss at my LFS, I can buy some and wrap it all around the driftwood :). I am so excited! Ooh. Maybe some banana plants too.

Java fern grows pretty quickly, in my tank. I'm sure you'll have a nice bunch of it, in no time, if you get some light on that tank, and read up on your basic plant ferts.

This wasn't the black one you just got was it? Sorry for your loss.

Yes, it is that one :). And ???

Silly me sorry I really misunderstood. That black betta of yours is gorgeous. I'm sure he is just loving that 10 gallon tank.

Java fern grows pretty quickly, in my tank. I'm sure you'll have a nice bunch of it, in no time, if you get some light on that tank, and read up on your basic plant ferts.

I was going to get this plant fert at my pet store it's little tablets and looks promising :). And I have the marine land day light 15 watt. It's okay, inguess it will drow plants, but not enough. But the flouramax bulb should help. :teehee

This wasn't the black one you just got was it? Sorry for your loss.

Yes, it is that one :). And ???

Silly me sorry I really misunderstood. That black betta of yours is gorgeous. I'm sure he is just loving that 10 gallon tank.

It's okay :P. thank you, he is just so much prettier in person. Pictures don't do him any justice. :)

Ugh. My brother and mom are complaining about the tank saying the Betta isn't happy. Well, maybe let him adjust. He's been in the tank less then 24 hours. And my brother keeps telling me that red gravel agitates them. They really shouldn't say anything until they know the correct set up which is what I have right now.

Edited by mikeydude319

I have never really liked betta' s til recently I got myself one like yours yesterday. Crown tail I mean it's a dark purple and red color. I was going to buy it a 5 gallon tank but think I will just skip ahead to the 10 gallon that my sister gave me.

That would be best. ;). Good luck!

I was going to get this plant fert at my pet store it's little tablets and looks promising :). And I have the marine land day light 15 watt. It's okay, inguess it will drow plants, but not enough. But the flouramax bulb should help. :teehee

Tabs are not going to be so helpful for plants like java fern. If you're looking to plant root feeders, like swords, then maybe you might use them.

Tabs are not going to be so helpful for plants like java fern. If you're looking to plant root feeders, like swords, then maybe you might use them.

I was going to get sandy plants, swords, java, moss. What should I used or a fert?

Swords would do well with a root tab underneath. the other plants feed from the water column. You'll need Seachem Flourish, and I'd recommend Flourish Iron. Those are generally a good starting point. We'll watch how the plants grow, and if we see that they need something else, we can add it at a later date. :)

When you have your final plant list down, and ordered, we'll figure out exactly the fertilizers that you need. :hug

I'm kind of stumped on what to get. I like java fern and anubias. I just don't know what else. Maybe aluminums. What is a good website to look for plants. I can then order them from my LFS.

Mikey, what type of lighting do you have? (wattage)

15 watt

I'm kind of stumped on what to get. I like java fern and anubias. I just don't know what else. Maybe aluminums. What is a good website to look for plants. I can then order them from my LFS.

Aluminum plants are terrestrial. If you do soap dishes, like I do, then you can probably grow them, but not under the water.

15 watts is not much light, you may need to supplement. The watts per gallon rule is a little bit different, for tanks of that size

congrats on the new setup, mikey, you did a good job and with some more plants your betta lives really in a betta heaven :)
Bettas don´t like much light, so it´s a good thing to dim the bulb light by some floating plants like hornwart, anachris or limnobium laevigatum and for the ground you could use some lowlight plants like anubia (nana or batheri), java moss or crypts.
I personally prefer plants which i can put out ot the tank during cleaning, it makes it so much easier to keep the tank clean. :)

Aluminum plants are terrestrial. If you do soap dishes, like I do, then you can probably grow them, but not under the water.

15 watts is not much light, you may need to supplement. The watts per gallon rule is a little bit different, for tanks of that size

What should I do then? I have another good that u can get CFL bulbs and put them in :)