Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Betta In Heaven, Happy & Alive!

null_zps73488b82.png

It looks terrible now, but I have java fern for now. I will be getting more plants on Tuesday as well as maybe 7-8 neon tetras :)

Thank you :)

Very pretty! :)

This wasn't the black one you just got was it? Sorry for your loss.

This wasn't the black one you just got was it? Sorry for your loss.

Yes, it is that one :). And ???

He is settled in and very calm. He ate some food. :nana. The tank also cleared up.

This is the specs:

5lb red and 5lb black gravel

Will be getting flouramax 15 watt bulb

Aquaclear 20 with 2 sponges and bio noodles

I have a very happy Betta. He is lonely, but nothing that neon tetra can't fix. :rofl

These posts kind of confused me. You had a betta and he/she passed away. But you have another one that will be living in this tank now with some tetra's. ??

I am sorry for your loss Mikey of your Betta. Whoever you put into your nice tank will be a happy camper. It looks nice. :)

No losses. :). But I am thinking of putting a divider in the tank and and 3 tetras on each side with each Betta. How for that sound? My LFS just didn't have any dividers in so I chose one at random to put in the tank. I am excited I got it set up though :D

No losses. :). But I am thinking of putting a divider in the tank and and 3 tetras on each side with each Betta. How for that sound? My LFS just didn't have any dividers in so I chose one at random to put in the tank. I am excited I got it set up though :D

ha ha That was confusing. I'm grinning here. Your title said, Betta Heaven. So I thought your Betta passed away and is in heaven. Now I get it! Betta Heaven. Good thing. ha ha ha ha I'm so glad nobody passed away.

Are those your two beta's up on top? I think I see what looks like betta's. ha ha Your post sure did confuse me. Thanks for the smile. Your tank is going to look really nice once you add more plants to it like you had said. :) Very nice.

ha ha That was confusing. I'm grinning here. Your title said, Betta Heaven. So I thought your Betta passed away and is in heaven. Now I get it! Betta Heaven. Good thing. ha ha ha ha I'm so glad nobody passed away.

Are those your two beta's up on top? I think I see what looks like betta's. ha ha Your post sure did confuse me. Thanks for the smile. Your tank is going to look really nice once you add more plants to it like you had said. :) Very nice.

Oops. :rofl I meant it like he is in heaven just chilling out in his awesome big tank. And nope, it's a Betta leaf for him to rest on on the opposite side of the filter. I will be adding the divider and 3-4 neons on each side with the bettas on each. I am very excited! And yes, lots of plants. But I will have to take out the drift wood because the divider wouldn't fit I don't think :(

ha ha I'm just missing one after another huh?

I'll just say, Your tank is going to look very nice. :) This way I won't mess up yet again. ha ha ha

:tomuch:

How are you going to filter and aerate the entire tank evenly, with the dividers in place?

Couldn't you just give your one betta a fabulous home, rather than stuffing in a whole bunch of them, and a few tetras with each? Tetras are schooling fish, and need plenty of room to to roam. I don't think they'd be very happy with that setup at all, but maybe that's just me.

This is just my two cents. :twocents

How are you going to filter and aerate the entire tank evenly, with the dividers in place?

Couldn't you just give your one betta a fabulous home, rather than stuffing in a whole bunch of them, and a few tetras with each? Tetras are schooling fish, and need plenty of room to to roam. I don't think they'd be very happy with that setup at all, but maybe that's just me.

I know they won't. Inhave another Betta, but he is happy in his 1 gallon Aqueon mini now with live plants and a 7 watt light. He is a dragon scale round tail, and I believe they are a smaller breed of bettas. I'm not sure. But he has been very happy in the 1 gallon. Should I leave him in there? And I would want to get 8 neon tetras 1 ottocat and have the Betta in the 10 gallon. I want it semi heavily planted. How does that sound?

Mikey, 6 tetras to a group minimum, so three tetras to 5 gallons of space with a betta in them is too cramped and will not benefit the fish in there. If you wanted to divide it, I'd house one betta to each side without tank mates, and properly plant each side. For a divider, it needs to be non-transparent, but completely porous so water can easily flow through, and the temperature is the same on both sides.

Tetras are super active and despite their size, they really should be in a minimum of 10 gallons for a proper school of them. I'd ditch the tank mate idea if you are dividing it.

A good way to deter bettas away from the divider is to have the filter outlet right on the divider so water is split both ways into both sides. Make sense?

I'd personally keep it for your current betta, and not buy any more fish. It may sound boring, but there's so much you can do to a tank that size with only one betta in it, and that's what I like about keeping my bettas in bigger tanks :)

I know they won't. Inhave another Betta, but he is happy in his 1 gallon Aqueon mini now with live plants and a 7 watt light. He is a dragon scale round tail, and I believe they are a smaller breed of bettas. I'm not sure. But he has been very happy in the 1 gallon. Should I leave him in there? And I would want to get 8 neon tetras 1 ottocat and have the Betta in the 10 gallon. I want it semi heavily planted. How does that sound?

I wouldn't pull out the term 'happy'. Has the fish told you it's happy? Lol

1 gallon is incredibly small- so no, you should not leave him in there. You now have the 10 gallon, so get your bettas into some proper conditions, ok?

Ottos need to also be in groups, which your new tank will not suit.

Edited by Narny105

Hi Mikey, I took the opportunity to edit your title, and added Happy & Alive. :rofl

1 gallon is incredibly small- so no, you should not leave him in there. You now have the 10 gallon, so get your bettas into some proper conditions, ok?

Okay, so get the divider. It is see through though :(. I don't know where to find one that isn't. It does have holes in it to make sure water flow is good. I can put an airstone on one side of the tank and the. The other side the filter so water isn't stagnant. Does this sound good? Could I have an ottocat on each side or no?

Yeah I thought this was an obituary thread too when I first read the title :rofl

Hi Mikey, I took the opportunity to edit your title, and added Happy & Alive. :rofl

Thanks so much! :rofl. I was like why is everyone thinking I lost a Betta? And then I read the title again. I was like nooo! :rofl

:tomuch:

Okay, so get the divider. It is see through though :(. I don't know where to find one that isn't. It does have holes in it to make sure water flow is good. I can put an airstone on one side of the tank and the. The other side the filter so water isn't stagnant. Does this sound good? Could I have an ottocat on each side or no?

I'd probably not go with the otto cats, sorry Mikey.

And no problem, I also made one that's transparent, but you can use plants as a method of blocking them :) The filter flow splitting down the divider will also help deter them. Airstones aren't really necessary and will just contribute to current, so I wouldn'tb have one in the tank

Okay :). But the problem is though, I can't get my filter to go right in the middle of the divider. (That is what you would like me to do, correct?). I can put it as close to the divider as I can though.

Okay :). But the problem is though, I can't get my filter to go right in the middle of the divider. (That is what you would like me to do, correct?). I can put it as close to the divider as I can though.

Narny is going to come in behind me to verify, as I know precious little about betta fish, but here's my thoughts.

1. He's saying you need a divider that they cannot see through, so that they don't stress each other out. You have one that's see-through, so he says to put the filter in the middle, and make it less see-through with dense plant cover.
  2. You cannot put the filter in the middle of the tank, as referencing this quoted post, and I doubt that your planting will be dense enough, in the beginning, to completely cover the divider for the 10 gallon. It takes a while for plants to grow in, and establish themselves. Unless you're starting with a super duper mega boatload, I just don't know how you'll manage to make a sensible home for 2 of them.

My suggestion, and I know this doesn't sound nice, is to take the other fish back. Make this tank for one betta only, and make your life so much less complicated. Putting any fish in a one gallon container is not the right thing to do. If you cannot immediately set up a perfect home for an animal, then you should not be taking it out of a pet store.

Please don't bring home any more fish. No otto cats, no plecos, no tetras. No more fish. Especially if you're still bent on dividing this tank.

I'm not saying this to be mean--I'm saying it because I care.

:hug I will bring back the round tail. With no divider, I will have Onxy. Could I put anything with him since he will be by himself?

The pH is 7 due to the driftwood. Is that okay for bettas? If yes, then what types of fish could I put with him? This is my first Betta tank and I want it to be awesome!

Edited by mikeydude319