How many of you have named your goldfish one thing only to find out it is the opposite gender?

AnnaMNR

I was changing Wacken's water today and had been looking at the breeding forum beforehand and had seen that picture Koko posted years ago showing a boy fish and a girl fish. Out of curiosity I decided to look at Wacken and surprise! He's a girl! This actually works out well because one of my new fish has to be a boy so maybe in the future I can have little Wacken babies. I don't think I'll change the name. Wacken sounds masculine to me but I think I'll keep it. She always seemed like a boy to me. I was tricked! :rofl:rofl:rofl

• Supporter

I have twice lol

I have another right now that ive not named because im not sure of the gender lol. So far all my names have came out of a book series ive read. well other than William and he got his from the move brave heart lol

His and Rachel is the only two that has stuck the others may change in the future if I think of something that just fits.

LOL when I first bought Thor I thought she was a boy. I didn't bother changing the name though, it sorta stuck and I think it's kinda funny.

All the time. XD Henry and Sam are girls and I'm think Ben is too.

I just name all my fish male names unless I know otherwise lol.

But what about all the female Supernaturals? :rofl

Those tricky tricky goldfish. They like to fool us secretly. Wacken is probably laughing her anal fins off xD

My favorite goldfish ever (no longer with me) was named BIG BOY......A Red Oranda that amazingly survived my long, slow learning curve...sometime later Arley from Goldfish Utopia told me that BIG BOY was a BIG GIRL. I still stuck with the name though!!!

I am THE WORST at telling a fishes sex but since I don't breed & it isn't like they eventually get a deep voice or anything...I just go with whatever name I come up with!!!

Figured out Bilbo was a girl after we had her awhile. I joked about changing her name to Bilba, or Bilbina ha ha but since my daughter named her after Bilbo in the Hobbit she wasn't going with any of it. When we got Arwin I stared at her awhile and decided she was a girl (there vents are outies right? oh gosh I hope so or things are all messed up lol!) Pretty sure Bing my fantail is the only boy in the tank.

Edited by CindiL

Figured out Bilbo was a girl after we had her awhile. I joked about changing her name to Bilba, or Bilbina ha ha but since my daughter named her after Bilbo in the Hobbit she wasn't going with any of it. When we got Arwin I stared at her awhile and decided she was a girl (there vents are outies right? oh gosh I hope so or things are all messed up lol!) Pretty sure Bing my fantail is the only boy in the tank.

Yep, the female vent looks more like an outie. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/102160-sexing-goldfish/

Spartacus (black/red/gold Ryukin/Veltail).....is a girl

Titus Pullo (Red comet, pond fish)...is a girl

And i think that Juju (silver/orange/black ranchu/lionhead)...is a girl too. Juju is Julius Caesar.....but should be renamed Julia Casear :D

I have a pair of pearlscales that I named Elrond and Gandalf. I assumed that they were both boys, until Gandalf was chasing Elrond to spawn, and Elrond ended up being a mommy fish! :) I kept her name though. I suppose it was more appropriate that of the two, the female should be named after an elf.

I also got a black moor that I named Othello. After about two months owning the fishy, I'm pretty sure that she's a girl, so I call her Othella now instead. I also have a calico fantail (possibly ryukin, the body looks more like one) that I had been struggling to come up with a name for. I had finally decided on Bambi, when several days later I saw him chasing my poor Elrond along with Gandalf. I decided that maybe another name might be a little better, so he still has no name chosen yet :P

I never named my fish, I was afraid that if I named them that they would surely die on me...that's when I didn't know anything thou...they still have no names, it feels funny trying to name them after so many years of having no names...but my one is def a boy and I believe the other is a girl!

• Supporter

I don't really know what gender my fish are. I've made some guesses but not sure, But anyway this is how I thought of them when I got them (and still think of them despite any differences)

Honey - Girl

Google - Boy (I think he might be a she though)
Tiger - Boy (I'm actually pretty sure on this one, he gets breeding stars every so often and chases Google + Cali around)

Bamboo - Boy

Cali - Girl (I'm pretty sure with her too)

Abraham - Boy (I think he is actually a girl though)

When I get my fish I see if I think they look like a boy or girl and give them names based on that xD

Edited by FishyMandy

When I get my fish I see if I think they look like a boy or girl and give them names based on that xD

I've done the same thing. :rofl