Sign in to follow this  
SebastianDiva

40 Gallon Vs 55 Gallon

Hi I am new to this forum so I decided to make my first post. I currently do not own any Goldfish but I am in the process of buying a tank and equipment. I am kind of on halt at the moment because I can't decide on which tank to get! So my question is which would be best for a Goldfish: 40 Gallon breeder or 55 Gallon? And why?

Thanks!

Hi Sebastian! :hi glad to see you here. I am sure people will have a lot to say on this topic (I have already given you my opinions) :D

I would get 2 fish cause goldfish like friends. I personally prefer the proportions of the 40b based on looks as well as its superior surface area. The fish will probably prefer the 55 gallon simply because it holds more water. I guess my decision would depend on a number of thing such as where would I be putting this tank, am I purchasing a stand, and am I buying new or used?

Personally I like the 40 gallon breeder. I like how deep it is (18" front to back) vs the 55 (12" front to back I believe). It also has more surface area for its volume vs the 55.

It will depend on how each one fits where you're trying to put it also. The 40 has a 36" X 18" footprint while the 55 has a 48" X 12" footprint. Which one will fit better where you intend to put it?

Also, with the 40 gallon, you will be slightly more limited as far as stocking. I would recommend 2 GF for the 40 gallon (3 if you can upgrade in teh future when needed) whereas you can do 3 a bit more comfortably in the 55 gallon.

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you joined us! :D

Let us know if you have more questions. We are happy to help. :nana

Edit: sniped. :rofl

Edited by fantailfan1

The higher tank volume the better, but I think the 40 breeder in more appealing to the eye rather than the 55 ;)

Personally I like the 40 gallon breeder. I like how deep it is (18" front to back) vs the 55 (12" front to back I believe). It also has more surface area for its volume vs the 55.

It will depend on how each one fits where you're trying to put it also. The 40 has a 36" X 18" footprint while the 55 has a 48" X 12" footprint. Which one will fit better where you intend to put it?

Also, with the 40 gallon, you will be slightly more limited as far as stocking. I would recommend 2 GF for the 40 gallon (3 if you can upgrade in teh future when needed) whereas you can do 3 a bit more comfortably in the 55 gallon.

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you joined us! :D

Let us know if you have more questions. We are happy to help. :nana

Edit: sniped. :rofl

Although I did beat you to the punch I would say that we agree rather than I sniped you :)

^^Maybe it's a West Michigan thang. :teehee

:rofl2

I always say go for more gallonage the 55 is a good tank and I really enjoy mine.

I know I am thinking about more on the bare size since I am just starting out, plants (maybe), few big stones, and a flexible bubble wand. It's just when I seen the 55 Gallon at the pet store I was like dang that's awfully skinny compared to the 40 GB tank lol.

Yes that is what I don't like. The proportions. A fish tank can be a very beautiful piece of "furniture" to be sure it is pleasing to you as well as the fish.

I like the 40 breeder

Honestly? Get what tank you like the look of most! Since you don't have goldies yet, you have that freedom and then can stock accordingly. :3 As everyone else said, for a beginner, 2 goldfish would be very happy in a 40 gallon, while 3 would do great in a 55 gallon. It's all about your visual preference.

Personally I LOVE how my 55 gallon looks, I think the shape is attractive and I like how tall it is. Others prefer the 40 gallon because it's wider front-to-back.

Can't wait to see what you pick! :D I'm sure no matter what you choose it'll be gorgeous.

Just going to chime in here. Based on it's dimensions, the 40 gallon breeder actually holds around 45 gallons I believe. That being said, 2 goldfish are still the maximum stockage for the tank. It sounds like your just starting out- if I were you I'd go with the 40B. 2 goldfish would be very happy in there for their lifetime. :) Good luck!

I think it's really a matter of personal taste. I think people the world over, and most definitely this forum, have shown that either tank is quite suitable for goldfish. :)

I must say, I love my 40 breeder! :)

Either one is great; they're both good shapes for goldfish, one being very low and squat and the other very long. I'd get a 55 for the extra capacity; you can keep 3 goldfish in one on a permanent basis.

40b is a great tank though. Excellent for lots of applications.

I have two 40gal and two 55gal tanks and I would have to say I prefe the 55gal.

Although mine seems diff to whats being described by others mine is 48"x16" not 12".

Look around at a few different shops as you may find different tanks.

I have two 40gal and two 55gal tanks and I would have to say I prefe the 55gal.

Although mine seems diff to whats being described by others mine is 48"x16" not 12".

Look around at a few different shops as you may find different tanks.

Oh wow, those are great dimensions! What's the height. Had the 55 gallon been wider and shorter I would have gone with that. It's like you have a 55 breeder :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im looking at a 50B

50 Gallon 36 7/8 x 19 x 19 5/8

I agree that it is personal preference. I enjoy my 55. I like the bigger the better rule because GF are like chips. You always want more. So, I think the bigger the volume...the better. :D

Good luck... What ever you choose... You must post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder--to those of you who have 40 gallon breeders and feel as though an upgrade is needed (if not now then soon) . . .

Do you think if you had a 55 gallon that you would still feel as though you need to upgrade? :idont

I'm curious. Most tank volume calculators will tell you the 40 breeder holds around 45-47 gallons. So would those 10 extra gallons make you feel as though an upgrade wasn't needed? Not trying to stir the pot, I'm really curious.

(I can think of 2 people that have 40 breeders and feel an upgrade is in order . . . you know who you are. Muahahahahahaha! :rofl And, no, I'm not one of them. :teehee )

If I was going to upgrade from a 40b, which we seem to agree holds a good bit more than that, I would not go to a 55. Not enough of an increase in capacity to justify the extra cost. I'd go to a 75!

I wonder--to those of you who have 40 gallon breeders and feel as though an upgrade is needed (if not now then soon) . . .

Do you think if you had a 55 gallon that you would still feel as though you need to upgrade? :idont

I'm curious. Most tank volume calculators will tell you the 40 breeder holds around 45-47 gallons. So would those 10 extra gallons make you feel as though an upgrade wasn't needed? Not trying to stir the pot, I'm really curious.

(I can think of 2 people that have 40 breeders and feel an upgrade is in order . . . you know who you are. Muahahahahahaha! :rofl And, no, I'm not one of them. :teehee )

I needed the upgrade, and I feel comfortable (if not overwhelmed) now. The fifty five is pretty big compared to me. :teehee The difference is really striking between the two, even though the Forty B doesn't hold that much less than a fifty five.

I think it's more the chunky fish everyone has now. :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

If I was going to upgrade from a 40b, which we seem to agree holds a good bit more than that, I would not go to a 55. Not enough of an increase in capacity to justify the extra cost. I'd go to a 75!

This is what I'm wondering . . . the 40B vs 55 debate seems to come up a lot. Maybe it's a mute point. :idont

Although Chelsea did it and likes the 55 (thanks for blowing my theory :rofl ).

Gallons per fish is a guideline. More gallons means it can house more goldfish is a generalization that isn't always true. I can illustrate that by making it ridiculous. Make a tank with the dimensions of a 40B stood on end. It contains 40 gallons, therefore it has room for two goldfish, right? Well surely, since it contains more gallons, it would be better than a standard 30 gallon for those two goldfish, right?

A 55 gallon tank is designed for the living room. It fits close to the wall and has a large viewing area, kind of like a flat screen TV. It's fine for long-bodied fish, but fancies do better in shallow water and need turning space since their bodies are not very flexible.