Sign in to follow this  
bbrian017

How to pick new fish

I'm having a little issue in regards to finding the right fish to add to my tank.

I got two new fish the other day, I find they are really aggressive always picking at my old gold fish bellies and tails.

Is there a specific way I should pick my fish, if I have older fish do I need to purchase older fish so they aren’t so hyper and freaking out my old friends?

Just to get this question out of the way... are all the fish goldfish?

If you have a problem with fish bullying, choose a fish that is calm and is not harming other fish around him.

Could you upload a video of this, please? It could also be spawning...

Yes they are all gold fish, but last night I found my so MUCH LOVED Jub Jube dead they must had stressed her out I'm so sad! And I had to quarantine my other oldie sweetie because she's stressed out to...

Edited by bbrian017

Could you upload a video of this, please? It could also be spawning...

it's a little too late I have separated the two old fish from the two new ones! Pretty much chasing them around when they stop moving they nip at the belly and the tail. If the old fish stop to hover or float they are at them again.

It's just sad to see Gold fish are hard to keep for a long time we don't need silly stuff like this stressing them out and killing them.

Sorry to hear about your fish. Dnalex is on the right track... It could be spawning behavior. Male fish will bump the female fish repeatedly in the lower "stomach" area in an attempt to get the eyes out. I had a much loved fish die recently from what may have been the same thing. Hard to say.

Well, personally speaking, I have never had an issue with any of my goldfish being bullies, and I grew up having goldfish in my family...

Sorry if this is elsewhere, but what size is the tank?

Can't they become stressed/aggressive if there are too many?

Right now I have 4 fish and the tank is 35 gallons. I may buy some more trees and stuff to give them more space to hide.

Edited by bbrian017

Uh oh, here it comes......!!!!

I think that this is definitely a possibility.

DP, you are too funny! :rofl

Brian, I think 4 in a 35 is already too many, so I would definitely not get more. The 35 should really only house 2 adult goldfish max, in most circumstances.

First I make sure I have enough room. 15 to 20 for fancy goldfish. If I don't have the room I think about how soon I well be upgrading or getting a second tank. Goldfish grow really fast so weeks is better then months.

Then I look for healthy fish. After I find healthy ones I look at body shape and fins. I consider color last cause most of them change color.

And I try QT for 2 weeks. Some here do it for four.

Good luck with what you have hope they all make it.

I think that this is definitely a possibility.

DP, you are too funny! :rofl

Brian, I think 4 in a 35 is already too many, so I would definitely not get more. The 35 should really only house 2 adult goldfish max, in most circumstances.

wow 2 fish I didn't expect that, I thought at least 4 fish the tank is so big... but I guess as they get larger it's just not enough room

Since they make such a mess in there, the water quality can get out of control when there are too many fish in the tank. Did you happen to check your water parameters, before/after the new fish were added or when you noticed the problems you were having?

Wish we could stuff a whole bunch in there! But it's quality, not quantity.

I'm so sorry you lost one :(

Brian, if you are in the US petco is having their dollar per gallon sale until the end of the month, so it would be a great time to get a second tank or upgrade. You could get away with 4 in a 55 gallon for awhile (this is the biggest size the petco sale goes up to), or you could get a second 29 or 40 gallon tank and split them between the two :) Craigslist is always another great option for cheaper tanks. Large plastic sterilite storage bins are another great temporary option. You could pick up one of those bins and a filter for around 20.00, split the fish between the 35 gallon and the sterilite container until you decide what to do :)

Sorry to hear about your fish. Dnalex is on the right track... It could be spawning behavior. Male fish will bump the female fish repeatedly in the lower "stomach" area in an attempt to get the eyes out. I had a much loved fish die recently from what may have been the same thing. Hard to say.

I agree...and I think you meant "eggs" right?

Yes he did

I agree with tithra

Try and get at least another 29-35 gallon at the petco dollar per gallon sale.

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish. :(

What kind of goldfish do you have now? How big are they? Like the above comments, goldfish can and will grow big with the proper care and tank setup. A couple of my goldfish were about an inch or so when I purchased them and now a year later they have grown over 5 1/2 inches in total length. I can't imagine having more fish then what I already have in both of my tanks. I have 3 in a 55g and 2 in a 34g.

Hey Brian, welcome to Koko's!

I'm sorry for your loss. You didn't know it would happen, but you now know better. This forum is a great resource to read and talk about what is best for your goldies.

I used to keep my two single tails in a 10 gal before I joined Kokos. The smaller one would get chased and bullied all the time. However, once I put them both into a proper 40 gal, it never happened again and they are best of friends.

But going back to the original q, what if you buy the fish online? How would you know? Also, is it better to have 2 females, male and female, 2 males or doesn't it matter? I plan to buy my fish from rain garden, dandy's or goldfishnet and for that money, it would be smart top get this straight ahead of time. Input is appreciated.

But going back to the original q, what if you buy the fish online? How would you know? Also, is it better to have 2 females, male and female, 2 males or doesn't it matter? I plan to buy my fish from rain garden, dandy's or goldfishnet and for that money, it would be smart top get this straight ahead of time. Input is appreciated.

When you buy fish online, the more info you can get the better. DO only supplies the pics, but my experience with them is that the fish always looks even better in person. RG has pics and videos, so you can get pretty good feel for the fish.

If you are not planning/hoping to breed, then having 2 males in my opinion may be better, since you won't have to worry about spawning issues.