Sign in to follow this  
Goldfish guy

Too much?

Ok so I got my new ranchus from ECR and I would like to beef them up as much as possible. I will be doing 75% water changes every other day. Here is the feeding schedule I made for them, please tell me if this is too much:

10:30 pellets

1:30 bloodworms

4:30 Al's freeze dried blackworms

7:30 bloodworms

10:30 pellets/bloodworms/brineshrimp

need more info. tank size. filter flow etc. what is the hurry?

Cynthia feeds six times a day, so the number of meals are fine. There should be a printout that she includes on what she feeds, no?

However, it's how much you feed during each sitting. I don't have an issue with most of the food, except for the freeze dried blackworms. Freeze dried foods really should be avoided, because of issues have to do with them rehydrating in the digestive tracts of fish, as well as floating foods being encouraging to gulping.

The other thing is indicated by DieselPLower. Feeding more means that more will be required in terms of tank maintenance.

Tank size-37 gallons

Ehiem 2215 canister uses (spray bar)

The fish will be upgraded to a bigger tank when they get a little bigger.

Yes I got the print out. Wasn't sure if the fish were to old to use the same schedule anymore.

What's should I replace the freeze dried blackworms with? Is mysis shrimp or beefheart a good idea?

Edited by Goldfish guy

I'm doing krill, and the fish love it. I have never fed mysis or beefheart, but I can't see why they wouldn't be OK. Just avoid freeze dried foods, though.

What sort of pellets are you using? I actually have 4 different kinds on rotation. :rofl

The schedule of feeding 6 times a days is actually great, and should be fine for a couple of years (or more) at least. The very critical thing here though is to not overfeed, both in the total amount of food, and in the quantity that you feed each time. In the end, less is more, because too much growth too fast can bring its own problems.

Hmmm. How do you know how much to feed?? New life spectrum Thera A+ 1mm sinking pellets

Shoot for about 1% of their body weight. With small fish, they may even able to do 2%. This is total food intake daily, not just pellets.

You should add Hikari Lionhead to the pellet list. It contains methionine, which is thought to be an excellent promoter of head growth. Tastyworms.com is selling them for very cheaply right now.

Hmmm. How do you know how much to feed?? New life spectrum Thera A+ 1mm sinking pellets

Shoot for about 1% of their body weight. With small fish, they may even able to do 2%. This is total food intake daily, not just pellets.

You should add Hikari Lionhead to the pellet list. It contains methionine, which is thought to be an excellent promoter of head growth. Tastyworms.com is selling them for very cheaply right now.

Since there is more than one fish should I multiply the amount of food that I feed for one fish by the number of fish that are there in the tank?

Yup. These are just general estimates anyway.

What I am doing now is to feed 3x a day, because I can't do six. They have enough pellets each time to take about 5 minutes to eat them all.

Frozen blood worms, krill, and brine shrimp I do 3 fish to one cube.

I have been getting very nice growth in the few months I've gotten the fish from Cynthia. Very pleased. :)

Which one of the repashy superfoods is the best for goldfish?

Super green or soilent green.

Since there is more than one fish should I multiply the amount of food that I feed for one fish by the number of fish that are there in the tank?

Probably. How many fish are in the tank?

Probably. How many fish are in the tank?

Yup. These are just general estimates anyway.

What I am doing now is to feed 3x a day, because I can't do six. They have enough pellets each time to take about 5 minutes to eat them all.

Frozen blood worms, krill, and brine shrimp I do 3 fish to one cube.

I have been getting very nice growth in the few months I've gotten the fish from Cynthia. Very pleased. :)

Which one of the repashy superfoods is the best for goldfish?

Super green or soilent green.

So for 5 fish I should do 2 cubes instead of one?

You can do 1-2. I am intentionally overfeeding them (but not by a whole lot) to take advantage of this growing time.

As they grow, I am not going to proportionally increase the amount of food, but just increase it by just a little bit.

It's important to note that for now, the 37 gallon is fine for the fish, but in a few months, it will be quite crowded with 5.

It's important to note that for now, the 37 gallon is fine for the fish, but in a few months, it will be quite crowded with 5.

Some of Cynthia's fish can get very large too. Her adults are quite big fish. So the more space the better :)

Good informative thread. Glad to see the OP will do regular large water changes.