Ulcer treatment?

Kris0823

So I have a medium sized red capped Oranda by himself in a 20 gallon tank. The fish has a habit of shoving himself into the rocks & thrashing about in search of scraps. It looks like he may have injured himself doing this. I am tempted to remove all rocks as they seem to be nothing but trouble for him. 1st, I had gravel & it got stuck in his mouth. I switched to river rocks a few weeks ago. The rocks are smooth, but the fish is quite aggressive in his scavenging. I wonder if this is what did it?

The area is white, not red, nor does it look like there is any discharge, or anything. It does not look like fungus at all. The area may be slightly raised, but I am having a hard time judging because he gets excited to see people & won't show me his side. He is too busy wiggling & looking at me! It looks like he scraped off some scales & a little flesh & the area is white with a slight silver tinge.

His appetite is great, as well as activity level.

I am treating with Melafix. It has been so long since I have treated disease. Pet store dude said treat for 7 days & change water at the end.

Yesterday I did a 50% water change, removed carbon & dosed water.

My concerns is not changing the water at all during treatment. Will the oxygen deplete because of the meds? I have 2 hang on back filters, no air stones. Also, will the meds build up in the water if there is nothing to filter them out & no water being changed?

My thoughts are at the 24 hour mark in between doses is to do a small water change, a few gallons to remove some of the old meds & keep the oxygen levels up & keep up nice clean water.

Also, is treating with Melafix enough? I went with the Melafix because it is I guess natural & won't cause a cycle crash & hurt my aquatic plants?

I was hoping for a medicated food, but never did get the stuff from goldfishconnection due to high cost. Local fish stores don't carry medicated food & some of the meds said it has been known to cause cancer in the state of California? Really?!

Firstly, could you please copy and paste the form at the top of the page, and answer all of them?

Secondly, please upload some pictures or a video showing both your full tank, as well as the site of injury.

Thank you.

Hi Kris!

If you would fill out a copy of the form at the top of the page, that would be a tremendous help in finding a safe, effective treatment for what's ailing your fish. Also, please see if you can move the fish to a smaller container to get some photos of the injury. Without knowing what we're looking at, it will be hard to decide a treatment. Photos of his home would also be helpful, so we can see where the injury may have come from.

Here's a copy of the form you'll need to fill out. Please do so as completely as possible, with the highest focus being the water parameters for both tank and tap water.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Good luck. I really hope we can get this sorted!

Edit: Sniped by Alex! :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 30

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 40

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

* Water temperature? 76

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallon several months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Topfin 20 & 30

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every 5-6 days

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 50 %

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Oranda- nose to tail about 4 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stress Coat

* What do you feed your fish and how often? HBH meat lovers flake & plankton/krill/spirulina flakes, Daphnia, veggies (whatever we are eating)

* Any new fish added to the tank? 1 tiny cory cat

* Any medications added to the tank? Melafix

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.See above

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See above

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No unusual behavior

To start off, the cory cat needs to be moved somewhere else or QT your goldfish, because cory cats are scaleless and can't handle some meds.

There is also the more fundamental issue of the cory cat being not a very compatible tank mate. There have been reports of these fish stuck in the mouths of goldfish.

Moreover, the 20 gallon tank is really suitable for just one goldfish, and nothing else.

I have a question...your tap nitrate is 40, and your tank is 30? Any idea why it's decreased?

I hope you will be able to upload some media. Thank you :)

I mean that's all I have done thus far. So far, it doesn't seem serious & seemed worth a try with the Melafix since it appears to be relatively harmless to all?

Question: Melafix isn't really a medication right? It was my understanding that in limited amounts it is ok for the Cory's?

I would consider Melafix to be a medication, although in the scheme of things, it's much gentler than most others. :)

It's probably fine for cory's, but I'm not sure that it's helpful to the goldfish here. I will open the thread on my comp. I don't see the slideshow from my phone.

If I need to use something more harsh than Melafix, I will remove the Cory, though I still wonder about a medicated food that won't cost me one of my limbs.

Thank you! That helps a lot! :)

After reviewing the pictures, I have some comments and suggestions:

- I think that it's awesome that you are not using gravel, which can be a danger, since goldfish like to root around and can swallow pieces big enough for them. River rocks are great! My only concern here is that with some much in the tank, it is easy for debris and waste to collect under the them. That then would become excellent breeding grounds for pathogen bacteria, for example. So, I think that perhaps it might be worth rethinking this substrate.

- The wound doesn't seem serious at all, and the Melafix may help. However, for something like that, clean water is the best treatment of all. :)

Ok. Less rocks it is! So, Melafix or no? I was going to do a daily small water change at the 24 hour mark in between doses. Then a large water change at the end?

Also, do you know of a good medicated food? I would love to order from goldfishconnection but the shipping is astounding unfortunately. Maybe more in the $10-15 range? Or is this unrealistic?

It's up to you on the Melafix. I am not a fan in general, but recognize that it can be useful for minor issues. :)

You can try Ken's Fish for medicated food, but one of the reasons why we prefer the GFC is that their products are excellent, and have been for years. Shipping is kinda crazy, though.

Ok thanks! I get the feeling that I would have a heck of a time convincing the husband that spending $30 or whatever it was for fish food. I don't know.

Oh BTW, no clue on the nitrates. They have always been weird. Maybe it's my test kit