Help...my Fish Are Dying As I Type

Guest sushi

Guest sushi

I have been treating for ich for a few days and I get home today to find the little fish floating on his side on the surface gasping, my big fish is at the surface gasping and she is not interested in anything. I have removed the small fish to the hospital tank. I have checked my water params and the ammonia is at .25 and everything else is fine except my pH is at 8.4 (highest strip reads). No Nitrites ann the Nitrates are at 20. The whole tank has been covered in a white film and there is white stringy stuff all over the tankfor the last 2 days. The temp is a little over 80 deg. Should I do another water change? 30-50% daily and the ammonia hasn't changed a bit in 4 water changes!! There are also 2 40 gallon power filters and 2 airstones in the tank. WHAT DO I DO?!!!!

Guest sushi

OK...I just did a 50% water change and my pH is a little lower ...7.8 now. The ammonia is still .25. I can't figure it out. The waer I put in had 0 ammonia and after the water change the ammonia is exactly the same no matter how ofter or how much water change.

Is the tank fully cycled? What are you using to treat the

ich with? It's possible the 2 air stones aren't providing

enough aeration in the tank. That would explain the

gasping at the surface.

Guest sushi

The tank has been set up for 6 weeks now and there are 2 40 gallon filters and 2 airstones....do oyu think I need more aeration for a 30 gallon tank? I am treating ich with ich away from nnnnnn. It is Malachite green. I have been keeping tank covered and removed carbon from filter. Any suggestions?

Be very careful when changing water too much (from my bad experience :( ) - make sure to declorinate/+add water-ager more, as the extra slime could be due to the fish's reaction to toxic material in the water. When adding too much new water there's a danger of increasing the pH by too much - try adding some pH down while you're at it, so that they fish will be less irritated. Combination of too much physical water changes and new chemicals is really nasty.

I had this nasty experience before, so really, do make sure the water condition is good before anything else.

Archived