Help Me Help My Oranda Please

Guest moodyfish

Guest moodyfish

Somebody please help!!!

I have a Red/White Oranda. My oranda had ich the last couple days. I used Rid-Ich and now it looks like the ich problem is getting better.

However, I noticed some whitish thing growing inside it's mouth and I'm not sure what it is. Also it's body and tail has a few red streaks. I noticed this fish for the last couple of days likes to sit in the bottom of the tank.

Can someone suggest a course of action to save my fish??? Thanks!!!

I am a new fish owner. I have quite a small tank only like 5 gallons and it has 4 fishes inside. 2 Oranda, 1 Fantail, and 1 Pearlscale, all are around 2 inches in length including the tail.

Hi there! :hi

I know that since your fish are so small now this might seem wierd but your tank is way too small for goldfish. The rule around here is 10gals per goldfish. :) Goldies do NOT grow to the size of their environment and are really messy and eat and poop alot! So please look into getting at least 10gal tank to start with moving on up to as big as possible.

The red streaks are most likely caused from ammonia b/c of the crowded condition in the tank. Do some water changes of around 20% everyday to maintain clean water.

About the white in the mouth... does it look fungusy? or cottony?

Guest moodyfish

I'm not really sure what the difference is but it looks kinda like a fuzzy white growth. The red streaks were there when my friend bought the fish from the fish store. It's been almost two weeks since I had this fish. I thought it would go away since my other fishes dont have them.

I realize the tank was small after I found this site. I will try to get a bigger tank. I do however change 50% of the water twice a week so hopefully that alleviates some of their stress.

Thanks for the advice.

Guest marlar

Well I am no fish expert, but I've had my share of fishy problems. I had done the exact thing you had, 4 fish in a 5.5 gallon. Unfortunantly I didn't know much about gold fish months ago so I lost all of them to tail rot. Way too many in such a small environment. I ended up having each fish in a hospital tank, my house looked like a doctors office.

Luckly like you I found out about this site and reasearched a whole bunch and gave into buying a 30 gallon (it seemed massive at first because we live in a basement apartment) now my new fish have grown into the size of big bouncy balls with tails lol. I only have the 2 of them in there and I think the only addition I would ever go from here is a bottom feeder. I think :huh:

The main thing is that you need more space for your fishies. Unfortunantly I'm not too sure about the fluf in your fishies mouth, possibly this is part of the ick problem, does ick start or attack internally as well? The red in the tail is probably stress but I found that when my fish had irritaed tales they were starting to bite at eachother and then ended up having fin rot. Hopefully someone here can help you better than I can.

Maria and Lawrence

Guest tooterfish

hi, i too agree with the space issue

if you have a rubbermaid container in your home, that does not have chems stored in it (i have some that are about 28gals, i use them for summer clothes storage), you can rinse it out and fill it with temp matched dechlorinated water

and move your fish into there, the lip of the container can support a filter, and you can add airstones just like in a normal tank.

you can then use your clean 5gal as your quarrantine tank and put your "troubled" fish in there.

becuase your tank is so small, and you have many fish, keeping the water params in check will be near impossible.

even now, you would want to do water changes daily (even 2 daily) to remove the ammonia.

a larger tub will still need water changes, but will help difuse their wastes.

getting your fish into cleaner water will not eliminate all your symptoms, but it will make it easier for the members here to help you treat them. Medicines work best when the water is good.

i do think your fish may need medicine, but i cannot recommend treating 4 fish in a 5 gal.

-Tooter

Guest moodyfish

Hmmm..Looks like I should be investing in a new tank. T

he fish store guy lied to me. He said it would be ok for my fishes to be in my little tank.

Anyways sounds like my problem is with my water. I will go out and buy a test kit and try to keep the water as best as possible.

thank you all

Archived