It's getting hot in here.....

Edie has been in QT due to a tail nipping incident. I decided to add her back to main tank the other night and he immediately began chasing her with his head up her vent. You'll notice her tail is still a hot mess, but Hashi doesn't seem to care. He loves his lady ripped fins and all ;)

Great video! :) She's a real beauty, even if her fins are a little frayed. Hashi looks so different! :o Time to update your sig pic!!! :rofl

haha, I am honestly too lazy to update the sig pic... it is such a pain to make those things. the next time I update is the next time my stock changes :P But yes, he continues to lose all that black. His tail is the next thing to turn white. I was hoping he would gain some orange since he has a random spot of orange coloration on his wen, but it doesn't look like he's going to.

Oh My Gosh! Does he stop to eat? :rofl

Great picture video layout. :D

lol. He has been pretty persistent. Those clips were taken from a 5 min video. I am hoping to find eggs soon here, but we'll see.

So cute :) I love how he is almost completely hidden under her tail ;)

haha, it's not hard with that gigantic tail of hers. As long as he is not trying to eat it again I'm okay with it.

What a workout! Hashi is chsnging so fast, it's unbelievAble!

I always wanted to ask, are they a certain type of oranda to have those crazy beautiful tails? Did you know they'd have them when you bought them, did they already, was that even something you were looking for in choosing them? Feel free to answer any other tail-related questions you think I might have :rofl

Great video! :) She's a real beauty, even if her fins are a little frayed. Hashi looks so different! :o Time to update your sig pic!!! :rofl

haha, I am honestly too lazy to update the sig pic... it is such a pain to make those things. the next time I update is the next time my stock changes :P But yes, he continues to lose all that black. His tail is the next thing to turn white. I was hoping he would gain some orange since he has a random spot of orange coloration on his wen, but it doesn't look like he's going to.

He's going to turn into a cute little lemon head soon! ;) Has Edie released any eggs yet?

I always wanted to ask, are they a certain type of oranda to have those crazy beautiful tails? Did you know they'd have them when you bought them, did they already, was that even something you were looking for in choosing them? Feel free to answer any other tail-related questions you think I might have :rofl

They just came from rain garden :idont This question came up recently about Edie's tail type, someone was asking if she was a veil tail and it sounded like general forum consensus is she might be considered a ribbontail, but I'm not sure :idont

When I bought Edie her tail appeared to be normal size, but has grown a ton in the last 2 yrs. I assume it is mostly genetics, although part of me wonders if they were in a larger tank if Edie's tail would be smaller. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I typically equate excessive tails to stunting (not that I would consider Edie stunted, her body is a good 4-5 inches minus tail and she weighs 150 grams, but I have to wonder if in a larger tank more effort would have gone into body girth/length than tail).

When I bought Hashi I actually assumed he might be a little stunted or just a bit of a runt because he had large eyes and relatively big finnage in comparison to his body size. He continues to grow (he's up to 103 grams from 63 when I got him), but he is not growing at as fast of a rate as Edie did when I first got her.

So, that's my long very unhelpful answer :P

:thud I'm tired just watching them! :rofl

Hashi, give poor Edie a break. We know she's beautiful and all but slow down, buddy! :ehh

:rofl2

He can chase her all he wants as long as he isn't giving love bites! :D

Love is in the air... :)

:heart

He's going to turn into a cute little lemon head soon! ;) Has Edie released any eggs yet?

yes he is! :)

Edie has not released any eggs yet. But she has certainly been showing signs of being gravid, so hopefully. Edie has only released eggs one time (well about 10x in a 1 month period!) since I got her which was back in January, so we'll see.

• Supporter

Not worth its own thread but I do have a question. I have three new moors in QT and the two (I assume) males are doing this to the smaller fish (lady fish I assume.) No injuries, but she just seems exhausted because they tag team her. I finally got a big bushy plant for her to hide in so she could get a break and it seems to help a little. Is there ever a time when I should separate her so she can get some peace? If so, for how long? And my house is going to end up looking like a fish store!

Not worth its own thread but I do have a question. I have three new moors in QT and the two (I assume) males are doing this to the smaller fish (lady fish I assume.) No injuries, but she just seems exhausted because they tag team her. I finally got a big bushy plant for her to hide in so she could get a break and it seems to help a little. Is there ever a time when I should separate her so she can get some peace? If so, for how long? And my house is going to end up looking like a fish store!

Yeah, if she is looking really worn out/beat up it is a good idea to give her a rest. A lot of people will use a plastic colander to float the lady fish for awhile to give her a break.

Generally, you want to let them stick it out as much as possible since the males are assisting the female with dropping her eggs. It is a judgment call as to how much is too much. I removed Edie for about a week and put her in a separate tank because Hashi was tearing at her tail so aggressively and it had gotten pretty torn up, I wanted to give her time to heal a bit. Significant physical damage may warrant time away in QT. General stress/exhaustion is probably better dealt with by providing short term breaks in a colander :)

• Supporter

Yeah, if she is looking really worn out/beat up it is a good idea to give her a rest. A lot of people will use a plastic colander to float the lady fish for awhile to give her a break.

Generally, you want to let them stick it out as much as possible since the males are assisting the female with dropping her eggs. It is a judgment call as to how much is too much. I removed Edie for about a week and put her in a separate tank because Hashi was tearing at her tail so aggressively and it had gotten pretty torn up, I wanted to give her time to heal a bit. Significant physical damage may warrant time away in QT. General stress/exhaustion is probably better dealt with by providing short term breaks in a colander :)

Thanks for the info! She looks really good physically, just looks pestered! I love your videos by the way! I have learned so much from them!

They just came from rain garden :idont This question came up recently about Edie's tail type, someone was asking if she was a veil tail and it sounded like general forum consensus is she might be considered a ribbontail, but I'm not sure :idont

When I bought Edie her tail appeared to be normal size, but has grown a ton in the last 2 yrs. I assume it is mostly genetics, although part of me wonders if they were in a larger tank if Edie's tail would be smaller. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I typically equate excessive tails to stunting (not that I would consider Edie stunted, her body is a good 4-5 inches minus tail and she weighs 150 grams, but I have to wonder if in a larger tank more effort would have gone into body girth/length than tail).

When I bought Hashi I actually assumed he might be a little stunted or just a bit of a runt because he had large eyes and relatively big finnage in comparison to his body size. He continues to grow (he's up to 103 grams from 63 when I got him), but he is not growing at as fast of a rate as Edie did when I first got her.

Hahah, well it was helpful! They're in a 40 breeder right?

Very interesting about tail size/stunting/tank size possibly being related.

I think mostly I was curious about how one comes across fish like those two, and it looks like "being lucky" might be the best way haha. Love em! Thanks for answering those questions :D

Thanks for the info! She looks really good physically, just looks pestered! I love your videos by the way! I have learned so much from them!

aw, thank you! :)

Wowza! Amazing video, Jess!

Both Edie and Hashi's fins are amazing, and Edie's will heal in due time.

Are we expecting eggs soon? :rofl

thank you Alex!

I hope we might get some eggs soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath ;)

Hahah, well it was helpful! They're in a 40 breeder right?

Very interesting about tail size/stunting/tank size possibly being related.

I think mostly I was curious about how one comes across fish like those two, and it looks like "being lucky" might be the best way haha. Love em! Thanks for answering those questions :D

They are in a 40 breeder, but I honestly consider myself overstocked simply because of their size. I feel like they have outgrown that tank. But I do water changes every 3 days to try to compensate for lack of space.

Hashi looks like a mix of an oranda and a veiltail

to be a veil the edges should be straight and the tail should have no fork in it. His tail has a fork (although it is less significant than Edie's). I have seen reference to something called a 'fringe tail' before when I think might be a better description of Hashi's tail. The edges on a fringetail are slightly serrated which Hashi's are :)

Your fish are so beautiful Tithra with their vibrant colors and stunning tails. I'm interested in seeing what kind of fry you'd get out of your two fish. That would be fun. I do feel for poor Edie though.

• 5 weeks later...

Hashi looks like a mix of an oranda and a veiltail

to be a veil the edges should be straight and the tail should have no fork in it. His tail has a fork (although it is less significant than Edie's). I have seen reference to something called a 'fringe tail' before when I think might be a better description of Hashi's tail. The edges on a fringetail are slightly serrated which Hashi's are :)

I was trying to search the forums regarding tails and found this thread. I remember asking you on one of your youtube videos about Edie's tail (if it was veil tail and you said no..) and the whole thing has me so confused. Basically I love the long flowy tails. When I see pictures of them I see it described as veil tail or ribbon tail. I just cant seem to find any clear info on how to tell what is what. Do you have a pic of Edie when you first got her? Did you think her tail was butterfly or something different originally (since you said it grew considerably)?

Edited by blubblubblub