Non fish Planted Tank

GoldieLover

So i had a spare ten gallon tank and i took the plants out of the goldies tank. So i want to use this as a grow tank. Now being that there is going to be 0 fish in there whats the best way of doing this. I thought of setting it outside so it got natural light. But what kind of soil is the best way of getting them to grow. Keep in mind when they get larger i would like to add them back into tank or their off spring but would really like them to grow bushy and large. Any ideas is appreciated.Also right now there is sand for the plants.

Edited by GoldieLover

I would add some root tabs to your sand for the plants. You'll also want to change out the water with old fish tank water (when you do your water changes) and/or begin adding some store bought ferts to the tank to keep the water nutrient rich since you won't have fish in there. I have a tank of duckweed growing on my porch right now, I just dump the old fish tank water in there weekly, works great ;)

Depending on what you intend to grow will determine the lighting required. There are a wide variety of plants you can grow with just sunlight. :)

Before you lay down your substrate, you can add a sparse layer of Osmocote Plus. Think of this as a layer of very slow release root tabs under the substrate. In a tank with fish you have to ensure the Osmocote stays buried beneath a decent layer of substrate—when exposed to the water column it can/will release an abundance of ammonia and nitrates—however, seeing as there are no fish in this tank, this should not pose a problem. The plants won't be affected in the same manner as fish; that is, potential death.

Yeah they seem to be thriving in this tank because i never cleaned out the sand from my missing crayfish so their is alot of nutrients in the tank. They are going really strong right now and have doubled in size