My wild-type is finally changing color!

My wild-type oranda, Sarge, is finally changing color after at least 10 months of being green! :happydance

BEFORE:

794e08f3-dbc2-4d68-9e4e-1aa37dd3854e_zps

AFTER:

fc17b98e-ec0a-4111-b66c-ed9e48840e94_zps

He's got some yellow creeping up from his belly, which is almost white, and his green isn't so dense.

When I bought him, he was in a tank full of fish who looked just like him, but were solid orange (siblings?). Any guesses on what color he'll turn next?

Also, look at his little wen growing (finally)! :teehee

Cool :)

Hmmm possibly good chance of orange perhaps if he was amongst a tank of orange fish. Usually theyre a batch of fry bought together.

Ive got a comet in my pond that has been jet black for about 16months and now has a golden bronze with slight orange tinge creeping up from its belly.

Its halfway up its side so bottom looks gold top is jet black pretty cool but his name wont suit him for long. Toothless lol as in the dragon from that cartoon black and fast and very hard to see in a pond lol.

Love watching colour changes on fry etc never ceases to amaze me (aslong as its not happening to my pandas lol)

• Supporter

I love the new look lol Maybe he will be white and red?

He could just be lightening... or going lemonhead? Does the whiter area look white or peach?

good point did not think of lemonhead

• Supporter

He could just be lightening... or going lemonhead? Does the whiter area look white or peach?

Just thinking that because the face is yellowing. :)

I was wondering if when the green turns white if it sometimes goes through a yellow phase?

PS. I like your sig

}O,>

Cool :)

Hmmm possibly good chance of orange perhaps if he was amongst a tank of orange fish. Usually theyre a batch of fry bought together.

Ive got a comet in my pond that has been jet black for about 16months and now has a golden bronze with slight orange tinge creeping up from its belly.

Its halfway up its side so bottom looks gold top is jet black pretty cool but his name wont suit him for long. Toothless lol as in the dragon from that cartoon black and fast and very hard to see in a pond lol.

Love watching colour changes on fry etc never ceases to amaze me (aslong as its not happening to my pandas lol)

Ok that is the coolest name ever. I hope he doesn't change much more!

Yeah, my guess is on orange because they were probably all from the same batch. But you never know!

Just thinking that because the face is yellowing. :)
I was hoping he might go lemon head! But I suspect the yellow might just be a transition color. His white is more of a light yellow, not peachy

Can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

Me neither! I might have to change his name if he changes color completely!

**sorry for all the posts, I can't multiquote on my phone :(

why do you call him wildtype? he's a cutie for sure what ever color he turns ;)

I was told that wild-type is what you call the greenish-bronze fry color because it's what color goldfish turn in the wild or what color the Prussian carp are or something. Anyway, it supposedly changes to something more common like 95% of the time. It was cool while it lasted! Thanks for the compliment, he's a little pistol! :rofl3

oh so it's just the fry coloring your referring to not where it came from ;) lol

I always though he was a chocolate in your siggy ;) love his shape for sure :)

Oh yep, just the color! He's pretty big for still having fry color, though, like 2.5-3 inches without fins. He used to be solid army green! Thank you, I think he's like perfect :heart From an LFS, too!

ooooh very nice color change :clapping: color changes are so much fun :)

Thanks, Tithra! It is fun :clapping: His color change is actually my main motivation for keeping up with all their different foods :rofl

"Wild type" is also called "uncolored," which is rather funny since the wild color is has all of the colors, and the "coloring" process involves losing pigments.

I have a fish that is over two years old and has just started white spots around his head. I had thought he might never change.

People have frequently observed that fish with the wild color are less tame that the colored fish. The one I have that has just started changing has been afraid of me and of the other fish in the pond. He gets excited when I call his name but can't get close to my hand. Since he started changing color, he has been coming closer to my hand to get the food. I have seen the same shyness in other uncolored fish. Does anyone else have observations about this?

I love your fish and his color. He is so pretty. And you definitely can see a big growth in his wen. I love his new color in his cheeks also. :wub: You've found a gem in your lps. :)

"Wild type" is also called "uncolored," which is rather funny since the wild color is has all of the colors, and the "coloring" process involves losing pigments.

I have a fish that is over two years old and has just started white spots around his head. I had thought he might never change.

People have frequently observed that fish with the wild color are less tame that the colored fish. The one I have that has just started changing has been afraid of me and of the other fish in the pond. He gets excited when I call his name but can't get close to my hand. Since he started changing color, he has been coming closer to my hand to get the food. I have seen the same shyness in other uncolored fish. Does anyone else have observations about this?

Not sure on that theory. Toothless isnt the tamest in the pond but still ventures upto my hand occasionally. But the big twist is my tank of uncolored fry. They nibble on my fingers or if im doing stuff in rhe tank they hang around anf get in the way all the time lol

That's interesting about "coloring" really being UNcoloring. My Sarge is definitely more wild than my other fish. He's much more rude when he flirts and he stalks his food more than the others. He won't sit there and graze, he'll grab a bite and dart away. He's also the hardest to get a pic of because he's afraid of my camera and phone. How interesting. I want to see your 2yo, Shakaho!

I love your fish and his color. He is so pretty. And you definitely can see a big growth in his wen. I love his new color in his cheeks also. :wub: You've found a gem in your lps. :)

Thank you!! I hope I have him for a long time...so far, he's the healthiest and toughest fish I've had. I can't wait for his wen to grow up! None of my fish have ever had a remarkable wen before. He's my little gem :)

Very nice body shape.

Thanks! I actually got him just for his color and then realized later that he's actually quite a handsome fish :heart

Hi Laura,

My Giniro is also going through a similar change(see video below). She was more of a blue color when I got her. Now, you can see her belly is going silver-white and her head is turning yellow. I've seen some interesting tri-colored orandas that are blue, white and yellow. It is a very pretty pattern, but we shall see :idont Let's keep each other posted on this :)

th_VID_20130718_101422_719.jpg