Used canister filter

Hey guys! I have a used canister filter that I need to disinfect. I tossed all the media and I'm buying new hoses, but what do I need to do to make sure no nasties are living in this filter? Thank you!

Me personally when i need to be safe i like to use my steamer as it kills everything. I dont know if u can but i think u can use vinegar aswell and rinse it out good but i would wait for a mod to be sure.

• Admin

Me personally when i need to be safe i like to use my steamer as it kills everything. I dont know if u can but i think u can use vinegar aswell and rinse it out good but i would wait for a mod to be sure.

:bingo: or PP :)

Sweet! Should I just dip the dippable components and wipe out the canister?

Thanks Koko! I'll probably do it overnight if that's okay :)

Are the motor components okay or do I need to take that big top piece apart? :P

It's one I'm totally not familiar with, so I may need to Google...I've never taken apart anything like that before! It's a Rena Filstar XP3, which I think has changed name to API Filstar XPL.

• Admin

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-canister-filters/11442-107524/api-filstar-xp-canister-filter.html

ok watch the video on this sit shows you how it breaks down.... then you can soak the stuff. I think the top piece doesnt break all the way down so you can just geta a shallow container an soak it that way... dont fully submerge it :(

I got a used Eheim w/ my tank. I tossed the media, rinsed out the filter well, then soaked it in a bleach/water solution. Bleach kills pretty much everything! :)

I got a used Eheim w/ my tank. I tossed the media, rinsed out the filter well, then soaked it in a bleach/water solution. Bleach kills pretty much everything! :)

only issue i dont like with bleach is it leaves a residue and u have to be super careful with it.

No problem Mermaid! I was most confused because everything I read said to take it apart and soak it, but I couldn't figure out whether to just dump all the motor components in a bucket, too xD I'm kind of dense. I feel like all sets of instructions start at step 2 or 3, or skip steps. When I first got my Fluval canister, it came time to clean it out for the first time and all I could find explaining how to take it apart started with "remove the top of the canister..." but the actual first step is, y'know, shutting the water valve, unplugging the thing, taking the hoses out...it was so confusing for me. None of the instructions I found, including the ones that came with the Fluval, mentioned anything about unplugging the canister xD