Sign in to follow this  
Daniel E.

Is your Water changer to short? Not any more.

Ok so quick a short story. I moved into a new house and found out that my 80 gal tank was close anough to a water source to buy and use a Python water changer. So a did and it was great but soon after I had to move back to another hose and my tank was far from a water source. So I huffed water to and from the tank making it a very time consuming manually difficult task. (not to mention the water I would spill along the way :( )

But now I have found a way to fix that problem. If you find your self in the same problem just follow the step by step directions below and stop toting that water. :)

Note I have a Aqueon water changer and am not sure if the "python" has the same connections.

First what you will need.

An Aqueon water changer (mine was the 25 foot)

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquarium-Water-Changer-Feet/dp/B000YAJKL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373919333&sr=8-1&keywords=water+changer

A Water hose with standard connections (I got this)

http://www.amazon.com/Rumford-Gardener-75-Feet-Expanding-Hose/dp/B00AE23LDC/ref=pd_sim_lg_7

A sink adapter (if your sink has inside fine threads like mine if not you may not need this)

http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Ultimate-Faucet-Adapter-Metal/dp/B0002APTXG/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1373919867&sr=1-5&keywords=sink+water+hose+adapter

or

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-6093-06093-Faucet-Adaptor/dp/B00176B01Y/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1

Ok so now how this works.

1) Attach the sink adapter to female end of water hose then attach to sink. (if the adapter is not needed skip this step)

6972fae1-7081-4ad9-a7b3-ba75c180a598_zps

2) Remove water control valve from the sink assembly and place at male end of the water hose (note you may need to place an extra rubber O-ring in the water control valve for water tight fit.)

63e1df79-f1d7-4efd-982f-964288c06f20_zps

3) Place the Aqueon sink water flow adapter on the water cutoff valve you just placed on the male end on the hose.

2d46823d-cc00-4a67-9d10-a56ca2276ad6_zps

You now have the refill assembly complete

For the water removal you can still use the water changer syphon to pump water out a window (this is what I done) or you can remove the flow adapter and connect the tubing to the water hose and use the added length to extend how far the water can travel to place out a door or bridge the gap between a second floor window and the ground.

Hope this helps :)

I got the 75' hose for 19.99 and the sink adapter for 3.50 for a total of $22.49 I needed an extra 60' so if I got the Aqueon exertions I would have needed 3 at around $20-25 a piece for a total of $60-75.

Great tip, Daniel! :)

Thank you :)

Its saved me a lot of trouble

Great tip

Wow I never thought of itlike that. Awesome idea daniel :) I would miss hoofing it to the kitchen sink tthough. I am just wierd like that though....... cool idea! You should have a show. Daniels ideas. :) I will have to try it to like it! :)

Smart, very smart. :D

Great idea, Dan. :D

lol thank you everyone :) maybe if I ever start a youtube channel ill post a vid lol.

Have you used that hose in suction mode? I think it will collapse under the vacuum as it is a flexible expanding hose. Vacuum hoses need to hold their shape under negative pressure.

Ps

Python uses the best hose available. I buy the 100 foot units and cut them to the length needed. Then you have the right length and extra tubing for repair or smaller hand siphons.

Edited by Ichthius

Like I said I have only used it for refill, and if you want to use it to extend the range you transport the water from the tank you would be using gravity flow not suction from the sink attachment and water flow so the would be no problem with collapse that I can see. Now it would not be the full 75' if that's what you mean? But you can do this with any water hose I just used the collapsible one because of storage and space.

I want a water changer so bad, but our kitchen sink is new fangled and fancy and will not adapt. :( Big bummer

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup2:

I want a water changer so bad, but our kitchen sink is new fangled and fancy and will not adapt. :( Big bummer

Will the end not screw off and give you any inside or outside threads to work with? Also if the kitchen does not work what about a bathroom faucet? just trying to help. You can get these hoses up to a hundred feet! lol and you can connect them lol But that would probably be about as much hassle as filling the tank by hand if you had to stretch it that far lol.

I've tried to screw off the end of the fancy part, but maybe I need to try harder. I appreciate you trying to help. I definitely need it! LOL

great tip :)

Same here! All the downstairs sinks in my house have fancy faucets :(

I tried this, and it totally cut down my WC time from around four and a half hours to forty five minutes. Most of the time was spent lugging five gallon buckets of fresh water to and from the kitchen to my room. Most of my time is now spent cleaning the gravel and plants like I should be, rather than worrying about how I'm going to refill the goldies and the oscar's tanks. I have two 55 gallon tanks. I wish I had thought of this sooner! Thanks for the tip Daniel! :thumbup2:

Be careful with what hose you use but!! We have a very similar looking hose in Australia, and there is a warning on that says 'Do not drink from this hose' as it may be contaminated, they say this themselves!

Please check the packaging :)

Be careful with what hose you use but!! We have a very similar looking hose in Australia, and there is a warning on that says 'Do not drink from this hose' as it may be contaminated, they say this themselves!

Please check the packaging :)

Thanks for the warning. This is something to keep in mind when doing this.

Thanks for the tip!