Sign in to follow this  
motherredcap

Plants Goldfish Like to Eat?

My friend backed out of feeding Newton while we are gone (her mother received a bad diagnosis and she had to leave to be with her). No substitute is available so Newton will not have any pellets for 7 days. I'm actually not too worried as he is an only fish in 144 liters but do want to add more plants to give him some things to eat in addition to the algae that loves my sun-filled tank.

We have duckweed to put at the top - that will go quickly. He has moss balls already and he does nibble on those. I have hornwort and ludwiga something in a grow-out container to add.

Anyone have a suggestion about a plant their goldfish love to eat?

Newton would actually be fine without food for seven days. I'd be more inclined to just let him go without because it would keep his water quality better as he isn't pooping all the time. I've personally allowed my fish to fast for up to ten days with absolutely no ill effects from the time off. Just remember that when you get home only feed light meals for the first couple days so as to not shock his system.

Otherwise, he sounds like he has a very nice buffet there with what you have!

Just adding to what Chelsea said above, once I put this plant in my tank which I now completely forget the name of sorry, but Clementine absolutely destroyed it and I've never seen her poop so much. She was literally like a non stop pooping machine as she had control of how much she could eat and I guess because it's greenery it went straight through her?

I'll leave it up to more experienced people in regards to whether you should put more plants in :) I find pretty much any soft leafy ones they'll eat and will make Newton happy.

Susanne, anacharis or hygrophila difformis (wisteria) would be good choices. Both are easy growing, goldfish love them, and you can just leave them to float.

I always find ludwigia (particularly ludwigia repens) too pretty to end up fish food. It has a really nice leaf shape; it also reminds me of John Everett Millais' poignant painting of Ophelia.

when I went to Florida for 10 days I left mine with a bunch of anacharis and they were good to go I came home to stems ;)

also mine have decided they love amazon sword :(

I love wisteria it's so pretty but my fish make lunch out of it really quickly . . . That might be a good option in your situation. I have water sprite in my tank and they don't really eat that. :idont

Good luck Susanne. :)

I would not worry a bit about extra poop produced by eating plants. Plant material is high in fiber and low in protein compared to fish food. A lot of poop is produced because the plant material shoots through the digestive system. But that poop has little nitrogen waste compared to the poop produced from pellets. Now don't get squeamish, but since it is only partially digested during the rapid passage, it may be even more nutritious the second time around. What else is there to eat after the plant is all gone?

:rofl. It takes more than that to make us squeamish. Good to know. :)

Also, if you choose not to feed him while you are gone he might choose to decimate what plants/moss you do have in the tank with him. With mine I find that if I don't feed them they eat the amazon swords...

I would not worry a bit about extra poop produced by eating plants. Plant material is high in fiber and low in protein compared to fish food. A lot of poop is produced because the plant material shoots through the digestive system. But that poop has little nitrogen waste compared to the poop produced from pellets. Now don't get squeamish, but since it is only partially digested during the rapid passage, it may be even more nutritious the second time around. What else is there to eat after the plant is all gone?

Lol!

Also, if you choose not to feed him while you are gone he might choose to decimate what plants/moss you do have in the tank with him. With mine I find that if I don't feed them they eat the amazon swords...

This is what she wants to do. That's why she asked what plants to put in the tank, so he could eat them while she is gone.

My fish eat everything. :lol2 Over here, anacharis is super cheap, and easy to replenish, so I'd probably start with that. You might even be able to get some ahead of time, stick it in a bucket of fertilizer, and grow it out a bit, before you leave. :)

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look for some anacharis today to add to the salad bar.

A couple years ago (when I first got my fish) I bought anacharis thinking they could eat it while I was on vacation... that's when I found out my fish don't eat plants :P

Good luck hunting for your salad bar!

Do you suppose that is a genetic trait, Tithra? If so, you could get rich breeding and selling goldfish to people who want plants in their tanks.

Do you suppose that is a genetic trait, Tithra? If so, you could get rich breeding and selling goldfish to people who want plants in their tanks.

Lol! People like ME, you mean? :rofl

lol. I doubt it :P I actually assume they will figure it out at some point. They will eat duckweed and anything on a veggie clip, but have yet to touch the plants :idont I have always had live plants in the tank and they originally came from a pond environment where I assume there were live plants, so it can't be lack of exposure. It's certainly odd. Especially since this is 3 fish now. I thought maybe it was a fluke with Edie and Puff, but Hashi doesn't eat them either.

Either way I consider myself lucky! (for now anyway)