Sign in to follow this  
goldie808

Cleaning filter

hey guys so i have a couple of filters an aqua clear 70 and 400 marineland emperor. Besides the media, i was wondering when and if necessary do i clean the filters themeselves? like actually take them out of the tank to wash.. thanks!

Edited by goldie808

I try to remember to take my filters off the back of my tank about every 4 or 5 weeks. I have a couple of different little brushes to get in those tight spots to clean that gunk out. I found a baby bottle sponge cleaner is great for the over all inside of the filter. I don't know if you have Wal-Mart's in Hawaii but I bought mine for $1.30 give or take a few in that store. :)

I am very lazy, and do this about every half year or so. :o

I rinse/clean the media every 2-4 weeks.

I do mine every other waterchange

I try to clean my filters about once a month. I rinse the media at every water change, but I am too lazy to fully clean them every time :rofl

WHen I do clean them I have a variety of little brushes to get in there and I take apart all the filters

There's really no reason to clean the filter box (as opposed to emptying the dirty water and rinsing it with tank water). If you are cleaning the inside of the box, you are disrupting an ecosystem that consists of organisms that thrive on fish waste. Other than the media, the only part of the filter that requires cleaning is the impeller.

I do not ever clean my filter box. However, anytime I turn the filter off I do take it to the sink and dump it out. Otherwise, when I turn it back on debris will flow from the filter into the tank. As Shakaho noted, the surface of the box is covered with BB's. This is also why I never scrub the liner in my pond, nor do I ever clean the glass on my tanks. Well, that and because they are never dirty.

Edited by DieselPlower

I do not ever clean my filter box. However, anytime I turn the filter off I do take it to the sink and dump it out. Otherwise, when I turn it back on debris will flow from the filter into the tank. As Shakaho noted, the surface of the box is covered with BB's. This is also why I never scrub the liner in my pond, nor do I ever clean the glass on my tanks. Well, that and because they are never dirty.

There's really no reason to clean the filter box (as opposed to emptying the dirty water and rinsing it with tank water). If you are cleaning the inside of the box, you are disrupting an ecosystem that consists of organisms that thrive on fish waste. Other than the media, the only part of the filter that requires cleaning is the impeller.

:bingo:

thanks all for the helpful input! will def keep this in mind when doing my next water change and cleaning the media!

You don't get bio-film on your glass? I can see a clear film on my glass by about a week so I quickly clean it when I do a water change.

If you don't have to do this I'm a little jealous!

I feel a little better reading these posts because I was feeling neglectful :teehee

I take off the in-take tube and clean it both on the outside and inside every week and I do find it gets a bit gunky as well as the propeller which I try and do every couple of months or so. When I clean the propeller I dump out the box too.

hey guys so i have a couple of filters an aqua clear 70 and 400 marineland emperor. Besides the media, i was wondering when and if necessary do i clean the filters themeselves? like actually take them out of the tank to wash.. thanks!

Just a minor suggestion, if you operate two filters/pumps, it may be worth staggering the cleansing of each by a week or two....thus ensuring the stability of the ecosystem even more.

A small tip to prevent debris and gunk entering the tank on re-start of the pump ..... fit the bottom section of a panty hose/stocking over the return and secure with an elastic band. Keep in place for about the initial 10 minutes following re-start....this will prevent all the debris from entering the tank.

I clean out my filters and sponges every 2-3 weeks. Always use tank water, or a dechlorinated water source.

Just found my article covering this exact problem goldie ...hope the images help explain my suggestion better.

Take care!! :thumbup2:

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hey salvo...I forgot this weekend was my scheduled filter line/pipe overhaul (I do a line clean every 3 months, filter contents every week).

I've recorded some images of the stocking over the return outlet, and the same outlet after the pump was turned back on........

SAM_1270_zps42e9991f.jpg The stocking over the outlet....

SAM_1266_zpse77506ce.jpg This is the outlet in position, and the pump turned back on....

I also took some images of the main tap/valve...you'll notice the before and after, and how the flow can be affected by the "gunk/gunge" than can accumulate in the filter lines and valve.....

SAM_1275_zps1928d0b7.jpg Valve diameter before the clean.....

SAM_1280_zps3ff41c80.jpg Valve bore diameter after the cleaning process....

It's surprising how the gunk accumulates isn't it?
As I mentioned, this amount of gunk took just 3 months to accumulate....a pristine filter is no use if the main feed and return pipes are clogged up....

I hope this helps my friend....take care!!!

Edited by Phillyn17, 17 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Edited by Phillyn17

Just a minor suggestion, if you operate two filters/pumps, it may be worth staggering the cleansing of each by a week or two....thus ensuring the stability of the ecosystem even more.

A small tip to prevent debris and gunk entering the tank on re-start of the pump ..... fit the bottom section of a panty hose/stocking over the return and secure with an elastic band. Keep in place for about the initial 10 minutes following re-start....this will prevent all the debris from entering the tank.

Great suggestion thank you.