Angry red patch

• Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10-20
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8-8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * Water temperature? 75ish
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 46g/5years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Emperor 400
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1xwk/80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? last Sat. 7/6 (today is w/c day)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 med
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? rapashy s.g/fast 1 day wk,followed w/ gr. veges
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? bloody-looking patch
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? seems a bit passive

3 days ago I saw another fish in this tank 'nip' at this fish.When I explored,found this red patch under his chin/under gill. I applied hp swab,hoping that would take care of it. I thought it might be better for a short while, Now,this red patch is angry red looking,and seems a bit larger. It looks like maybe an internal infection,as he has some slight red veining on his belly also. I have him separated in a qt,and am anxious to get treatment started. Are MM appropriate here? Thanks guys. This fish and I have been thru a lot together(he was 1 of the ich fish 14 mos. ago),and I would seriously be bummed if I lost him :( Here is a vid of it/him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzMeEQbSqrU&feature=player_detailpage

How does the poop look? Does the belly feel soft? :idont

I just felt his belly-not really soft. I have not seen his poop b/c he's been in a larger tank,and I've only just moved him. He hasn't eaten b/c Sun. is typically fast day. I think getting some meds in him would begood-but I don't know which 1-I don't know if MM are apropos here..........What do you think?

Would you be able to give us the tap parameters too please? :)

Edited by mikeydude319

I just gave him 2 pellets of MM-I had to almost force it on him-poor guy does not feel well :ill

Hi, how are you? I'm so sorry that your fish isn't feeling well.

Please try to hold off on starting any medications before hearing from a member of the mod team. Someone will be with you shortly.

Hang in there.

Thank you,SC :heart He actually seems better/stronger since the MM. He's had 8 pellets,and is now swimming up and taking them from my hand :) He's in about 15g of water w/ a cycled filter and air disc. (I'm just documenting all this info......)

Do you have any idea how much he weighs? If so, I can calculate how many MMs he'll need daily. :D

Thank you,Lisa-that is very nice of you :heart I was in a rush to get him into qt and did not weigh him. I will weigh him later-I'm just so thrilled he is eagerly accepting the MM :) I also have a scale to weigh out the MM-thank you very much :)

Aww! Your fish is gorgeous. I hope that red goes away fast and he/she is good as ever. :hug

Let us know how things go, Susan, with daily updates if possible. Now that you've started MMs, we must adhere to it for the next 14 days, unless there are obvious signs that the treatment is not working.

Has this fish had dropsy before? If so, when? How many times, etc.? The more info we have, the more we know what to avoid or use etc.

No,he has never dropsied before :) He was 1 of the 3 fish that got SO bad during the ich debacle-he has been fine since. He is in a tank w/ a white chu that gets red in/under her wen from time to time,and I do use Nitrofuracin Green in the tank-every few mos. As a matter of fact,I used it only for 5 days a couple of weeks ago-as opposed to the 14 recommended...........could that have anything to do w/ this popping up?

He is doing really well-he loves being on MM as he can eat all day long :feedme:Scoff: The red is not quite as angry looking as it was yesterday. Below is a vid-pardon the lack of focus-I have to hold him upside down w/ 1 hand,and operate the camera w/ the other :saywhat -but I think you can get an idea of some improvement. The rest of the vid is to show you how he cruises around his tub-he is so much stronger than he was when I moved him :heart . BTW,that was about 30 hrs ago. Is the fact that he's getting better indicative of a bacterial infection?

I have a question........b/c that white ranchu in the tank gets red under her wen,I thought it may be a good idea to put that whole tank (3 fish) on MM. My concern is that also in that tank is an oranda that was treated w/ MM for dropsey(symptom) for 19 days-at the end of May-is it not a good idea for him? Come to think of it,this is the 2nd problem to come out of that tank in the past couple of mos.-maybe also a good reason to feed all of them MM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBfV3OotuM0&feature=youtu.be

If you feed them MM and they don't need it, it can lead to problems in the future. i.e: resistance to the medication if it is needed for future problems.

I am aware of such problems,and have determined it is worth the risk here. I am only asking Alex about the 1 who had them not long ago......Thanks Mikey......

I'm not sure if I am seeing this correctly, but does he have raised scales?

Susan, Metro-Meds was never particularly good for treating wen related issues, so I don't really see the point of doing that.

Have you started with feeding all three MMs anyway?

No,Alex,I had not started the other 3 yet-it was just a preemptive move I was thinking about making. If you think it would be a waste of time I won't. Would MG be appropriate,or should I just hold off entirely?

Well, without seeing what the issues are, it would be awful of me to make treatment recommendations. Do you have pics or a video?

I just want to pop in for a quick update: he's doing really well-the red is all but gone :clapping: We will stay on course w/ MM :)

I'm glad to hear of it! :)

I just want to add a final update :gfish: The red patch has been completely gone for quite some time,but I kept him on MM for 14 days(he loved eating MM all day long!) :flex: . Saturday was day 14,and he went happily back into the tank last night. I moved 1 fish from that tank,and put him in the pond-he was nippy,and I suspect he's caused a couple of issues with the others :o

Thank you,everyone! :clapping::)