Sign in to follow this  
justme9984

Can they swallow gravel?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...Can A goldfish swallow a stone? I rescued big John one time from a stone in his throat (you think I'd learn that time) but I stuck with the river-stones. Well my big calico oranda (even slightly larger than Big John and has a HUGE mouth; He looked like he got something he was trying to spit out in his mouth. I examined him and saw what I "thought" could have been a stone. Let him go for a minute so I could get some help, and when I caught him again I didn't see anything. I suppose he could have spit it out, but I'm wondering if it is possible for them to swallow a stone? I'm going to have to re-evaluate my substrate choice I guess :(

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...Can A goldfish swallow a stone? I rescued big John one time from a stone in his throat (you think I'd learn that time) but I stuck with the river-stones. Well my big calico oranda (even slightly larger than Big John and has a HUGE mouth; He looked like he got something he was trying to spit out in his mouth. I examined him and saw what I "thought" could have been a stone. Let him go for a minute so I could get some help, and when I caught him again I didn't see anything. I suppose he could have spit it out, but I'm wondering if it is possible for them to swallow a stone? I'm going to have to re-evaluate my substrate choice I guess :(

How big are your fish?

The calico is about 4" not including tail or 6" including his tail. He has the biggest mouth though, when he opens it, it is at least dime size?

The stones are probably between 1/2 and 3/4".

I don't think that would make it through the digestive tract and out the other end. :no:

My guess would be he spit it out . . . it would take a while for him to get that far enough down for you not to be able to see it, if it could even get that far. :idont

The calico is about 4" not including tail or 6" including his tail. He has the biggest mouth though, when he opens it, it is at least dime size?

I would consider going up to scattered large river rock (1.5 - 2 inches) size or down to sand as a substrate just to be safe.

I would consider going up to scattered large river rock (1.5 - 2 inches) size or down to sand as a substrate just to be safe.

This is critical. Although I would say that most times they will be able to work the stone out, I've had one unfortunate case where the gravel was lodged in the mouth, and he wasn't able to spit it out. :(

I've had fish choke on gravel also, and it's a terrible thing to see.

I pulled it all out, and now the smallest rocks in the tank are at least two inches in diameter. They'd have to be the size of horses to swallow those. :rofl

Thanks guys. Jmetzger- I don't know that I've seen river rock this big, I will certainly have to look for it!

Thanks guys. Jmetzger- I don't know that I've seen river rock this big, I will certainly have to look for it!

You can usually get them in a bag(10 lbs or so) at a garden/landscape store. I'm pretty sure Home Depot will have them..........

If you are going to do the big river rock, I would like to suggest a single layer, not densely packed. It will be miserable to clean unless you can easily move them around with the gravel vac / python type thing.

If you are going to do the big river rock, I would like to suggest a single layer, not densely packed. It will be miserable to clean unless you can easily move them around with the gravel vac / python type thing.

I was thinking of just a few, scattered here and there. :rofl

I was thinking of just a few, scattered here and there. :rofl

That's what I meant, too! Too many stones will collect detritus.

Is he still doing irregular mouth behaviours?