* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tap) 5ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 18 degrees

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 gals, 6ish months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 405 & all pond solutions 2000 lph

* How often do you change the water and how much? One or twice a week, 50 - 60%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 60%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4, 3-4 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Gel food, peas, bloodworm, tetra goldfish pellets

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Lionhead has blood red marks around his gills and pectoral fins

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? A little lethargic

Hey guys,

My lionhead 'Fathead' has got blood red marks around his gills and pectoral fins.

I noticed it starting last night, so I did a 40% water change. It was worse today so I did a 60% water change. This isn't the first time this has happened, but a large water change has always rectified the problem, but I think it needs to be addressed properly. His appetite is the same as usual and he's either swimming in one spot or swimming around, never bottom sitting, but he is a little lethargic. I know it's not ammonia burns as my tank is cycled, and I've been reading up on what it could be, but thought I'd ask here first before I start suggesting what I think it is. Here are some pictures, I'm sorry the quality is so bad, just hope they give you an idea of what he looks like. Thanks in advance for any help.

image_zps5761431e.jpg

image_zps9817c770.jpg

When did the marks appear?

Red marks, like the ones you are seeing, may be caused by flukes. If you're not familiar with flukes, they are parasites that latch to the gills causing, redness near gills, lethargy, clamped fins, ect. There are also 'body flukes', but that's a different story. That is why we quarantine with prazi (prazipro). Prazi is a treatment for flukes. A mod will be here soon :)

Just my two cents :)

Edited by teleSC

Thank you teleSC, flukes are actually what I was thinking it may be when I started trying to read up on what it could be earlier today. The marks started to appear last night, but they've appeared on and off for as long as I can remember. I just don't understand why the redness usually goes when I do a large water change? I have never quarantined my goldfish or treated them for anything, as I got them at around the same time and was unaware that many people did this. Also, I may be wrong, but I don't think we can get prazipro in the UK :/

Edited by Lis.

Okay, is wormer-plus safe for snails? And does it cause problems with the filtration cycle? He's also clamping his fins a little, but that's it. He's still eating like a pig, and he's upright and swims over if he sees me coming.

Theres a med called fluke solve by verterk I have used this and had no problems which contains the praziquantal.

Hope this helps

I forgot to mention :teehee Please don't buy the medication yet. I apologize. A mod will have to give you their advice before you purchase any meds. :)

~I would assume that it's not safe for snails. I think because prazi is nit good for snails :/

I won't buy anything yet :) I'm just trying to work out what I can use if it does end up being flukes haha. I'm so worried about him, he's just so red, it looks painful :(

Thank you also jeffeve :)

• Admin

:hi

One thing I would like to suggest your PH seems to go down... your tap is 7,2 and then your tank is 6.8. Can we get a buffer or some crushed coral? Also do you know your KH hun..

Have you ever treated your fish for flukes? With Prazi?

Also can you get more shots of this fish for us. :)

:hi

One thing I would like to suggest your PH seems to go down... your tap is 7,2 and then your tank is 6.8. Can we get a buffer or some crushed coral? Also do you know your KH hun..

Have you ever treated your fish for flukes? With Prazi?

Also can you get more shots of this fish for us. :)

Hi Koko, the PH in the tank is 7.2, tap in 6.8, I think this may be because a few weeks ago I started using a different water source (we have a water tank which has lower nitrates) and I don't know the KH :/

I shall try to get some more pictures asap :)

When did you test your tank's water? Are the results from before all the WCs? :idont

Also what type of snails do you have?

I tested the tank water before yesterday's water change :) I have nerites and MTS, and there's pond snail in there somewhere too

• Admin

Ok I would suggest treating this fish and your whole tank mins the snails, with Prazi... now I dont know what kind of meds you can get that has that in there.. So I will ask my mod team about that.

Also lets get the PH up and stable... so when you can crushed coral can be purchased normally at a LFS if they sell SW fish. or you can order it on line.. if you lived in the usa I would ship ya some as I got about 20 pounds of it. :o

FIVE DAY ROUNDS
Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far.
Some reminders: Prazipro should only have salt to 0.1% if you are using regular dose. If double dosing Prazipro, you can raise salt to 0.3%. If you are using Prazi powder or tablets, then salt is at 0.3%.

• Admin

ok....

In the UK, there is Fluke-Solve from Kusuri. That's prazi powder.

you can also order Prazipro from eBay etc.

The alternative is Wormer Plus, also by Kusuri. This is flubendazole, and works just as well as prazi.

Ok I would suggest treating this fish and your whole tank mins the snails, with Prazi... now I dont know what kind of meds you can get that has that in there.. So I will ask my mod team about that.

Also lets get the PH up and stable... so when you can crushed coral can be purchased normally at a LFS if they sell SW fish. or you can order it on line.. if you lived in the usa I would ship ya some as I got about 20 pounds of it. :o

FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far.

Some reminders: Prazipro should only have salt to 0.1% if you are using regular dose. If double dosing Prazipro, you can raise salt to 0.3%. If you are using Prazi powder or tablets, then salt is at 0.3%.

If you could ask your mod team and let me know, that would be great, thank you :)

I'm sorry for all the questions...am I just using regular dose? And my apologies if this is a silly question, but how do I work out the salt %? Thanks so much for your help :)

I learned a tip from Alex :)

Take some pantyhose, and cut a leg off. If you're adding .1% (1 teaspoon per gallon) add ALL the salt to the pantyhose. Tie the top and place inside the tank :) You don't have to wait every 12 hours, and the salt concentration rises slowly ;)

• Admin

ok....

In the UK, there is Fluke-Solve from Kusuri. That's prazi powder.

you can also order Prazipro from eBay etc.

The alternative is Wormer Plus, also by Kusuri. This is flubendazole, and works just as well as prazi.

salt

Do not ever use salt that contains the following:
Salts that are not safe

YPS (Yellow prussiate of soda).

Anti caking agents especially those containing cyanuric acid.

Cow salt blocks or salt containing magnesium and other added minerals.

And iodine.

Iodine will actually not hurt the fish but it will harm your beneficial bacteria and cycle.

First of all make sure that the tank water is registering 0 for ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates should also be as low as possible. Mix the first dosage of .1 % of salt in a small bucket/cup with a small amount of treated conditioned water or tank water. This means one teaspoon per one gallon. So if you have a 10 gallon tank for example you are going to be adding 10 level teaspoons (one teaspoon is 5ml ) to the bucket or cup.

Mix the salt until it is completely dissolved. The warmer the water the quicker it dissolves. It can take 5 minutes or so. The salt must be completely dissolved before adding it to the tank. There should be no grains of salt visible, only a kind of shiny cloud is visible as you pour the salted water into the tank. Pour the salted water into a heavily aerated area of the tank...under the filter power outlet or fountain spray bar will provide the best circulation of the salt.

Sorry I forgot to tell ya that part.... Im nursing a 2 month old at the same time :teehee

I'm so sorry Koko, I didn't even think about your little one! Thank you so much for your help :)

So my shopping list for tomorrow;

Kusuri wormer plus or Kusuri fluke-solve

KH test kit

Crushed coral

Aquarium salt

If there's anything I've missed/is incorrect please let me know when you can :) thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated :D

• Admin

I'm so sorry Koko, I didn't even think about your little one! Thank you so much for your help :)

So my shopping list for tomorrow;

Kusuri wormer plus or Kusuri fluke-solve

KH test kit

Crushed coral

Aquarium salt

If there's anything I've missed/is incorrect please let me know when you can :) thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated :D

no problem...im typing w one hand :lol

keep me updated hun :hug