Goldfish in a 37 gallon

1-2 fish maximum.

These guys get big, even the fancies. Stocking guidelines are 15-20 gallons per fish, but it is recommended to stay as close to twenty as possible.

Five would be way too many.

By grow out do you mean fry? Five fry would be fine in a 37 Gal to grow out but once their body size is around 1/2 - 1 inch it's best to stick to the main guideline. :)

Would it be possible to keep 4 at adult size. The water change schedule would be 70% every other day. They are ranchus if that helps

I'd have to say, "No", unfortunately. I have three in a tank that holds a wee bit more than 45 gallons, and it's very heavily planted. My nitrates are a borderline issue, and I really feel like I can't skip a water change. My two 75% changes a week are the least amount that I can do, without compromising their water quality.

You idea of doing 70% changes, every other day, is ambitious, but I really don't think that it's a solution for the long term. Petco is having a dollar per gallon sale--maybe you can get two 40 breeders, and give them great permanent homes?

• Admin

1-2 fish maximum.

These guys get big, even the fancies. Stocking guidelines are 15-20 gallons per fish, but it is recommended to stay as close to twenty as possible.

Five would be way too many.

:bingo:

The DPG sale ends the 27th of July. Two forty breeders would be great to house four adult fish between them. :) Remember though, that everyone will want these tanks so it's best not to wait!

Edited by ChelseaM

Right now on my local ad it only says forty, which would be great for two fish.

I did, though, get a fifty five at the last DPG I went to. (three fish can fit in one of those) Call your local PETCO and ask so that you know for sure. ;)

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

Is the dollar per gallon sale going on now? Do you know how long it will last?

I think it goes on for the whole month of July. At my local store it was not really advertised in the store but it is in their flyer. They don't seem to have anything bigger than a 55 gallon (which is what I treated myself to!!) and I had to get the guy to do a price check since there was no sing or tag. Keep in consideration it the the tank only, no hood or lid but you can usually find used hoods on Craigslist and Fosters and Smith have really great prices on glass tops/lids (one brand is a few bucks bore so get the cheapest.)