Sign in to follow this  
maddog

tail rot opinions

hi guys!

over the holiday weekend my family and I went camping. during that time my tank also started leaking -_- when I got home my desk was ruined, my hardwood floor in my room is ruined and the walls in the finished basement under my tank is ruined. I only had a 30 gallon but it did good damage! the leaking let our so much water that the filter couldn't reach the water so my goldies were swimming in crap for however many days! when I got home I fixed the situation as best I could and I could only get my paws on a 20 gallon which is only temporary until I find a new tank. so all was well with my water parameters until Wed morning when I woke up and saw that my oranda had white edges to her tail and was starting to fray. I immediately started my salt bath according to the one posted in the treatment section. I have now finished my treatments and her tail lost the white lining but it's still featured. the telescope in the tank is completely fine and had been since wed.this weekend I have to go out of town and my family is on vacation also. is it okay to leave them? nobody well be home to check them out. is there a chance the salt treatment didn't work and I'll come home on Sunday to finless fish? Any and all help is appreciated! thanks guys! :)

Mads

I'll have someone move this to Diagnosis and Discussion for you.

Please answer the following questions thoroughly. We will need all water parameters and information to properly diagnose and treat the problem. Please also provide photos or video of the injured fish. :)

This forum is for goldfish in need of help or just general disease discussion.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Test Results for the Following:* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ish

Nitrite Level(Tan 0ish

nitrate level(Tank)*15ish

Ammonia Level(Tap)*idk

Nitrite Level(Tap)*idk

Nitrate level(Tap)* idk

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7ish

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) idk

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? strips so it might not be accurate

* Water temperature? 69 f

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, sunday

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aquaclear 30

* How often do you change the water and how much? 25% a week

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday little was salvaged from old tank

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 3&4 inches wo task

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? stress coat

* What do you feed your fish and how often? omega 1 twice a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? no

* Any medications added to the tank? stress coat and stress zyme

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 3 rounds of salt 12 hrs apart started Wed, finished today

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? frayed fins only on oranda and she's got red steaks that have been in net tail since ive had her(a little over a year)

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not really, but the oranda is the only one with fin rot symptoms

I have already diagnosed with f in rot, I would just like to know what would happen off I leave them home for the weekend! our should Ihave my friend sneak in w/o my parents knowing to check them out? my mom's thing is that it's a goldfish you can buy another one for 3 dollars why do you care so much? so she's not on board with anything fish related, she thinks they're stupid :/

Thank you for filling out the form :)

Can you please get the parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) for your tap?

The strips are not very accurate. Are you able to purchase an API drop test kit? Most of the members here use it, and it's much more accurate than the strips :) Also, the water conditioner most of us use is Prime. It rids the tap water of chlorine and chloramines, like stress coat, but it also detoxifies toxic ammonia and nitrite for some time. I suggest changing to prime ;)

A 20 gallon tank is only suitable for one fish. Also, your filter only filters 150gph (gallons per hour). You will need at least 200gph.

Do you have a quarantine tank you can transfer the fish to? If not, a 30 gallon sterilite tub will work just fine :)

Have you cycled your tank?

Pictures will be needed in order for a proper diagnosis of your fish :)

~I apologize if this seems overwhelming. The mods will need as ,much information as they can get in order to help your fish :)

Edited by teleSC

So sorry to hear about what had happened to your tank and all. I hope your fish will be okay.

Do you have any pics of the fish, or a video? Thanks

I also had a tetra whisper 40 going but a rod in the motor broke maybe two and a half weeks ago and I haven't replaced it

yet.

my parents are a no go for a30 gallon tub because "you live with a 3 year old who could get in it and drown" and she wants no more water damage :/ and a tub is a mess waiting to happen.

the tank has been cycled, and the 20 is my qt tank,

my neighbor has a pond he has offered to take them before but

I'm pretty sure its over stocked...

I'll probably buy the api test kit next time I make it to the pet store. and that was my last strip and I can't make it to a pet store and home before work.

these are the best pictures I can get before work and I'll be home at 330 and I'll transfer her to a different container and trey for better pictures! in the first picture the bottom part of her tail is the red steaks she has. when I bought her the whole section except the part connected at her tail dock was unattached and since it reattached it's always had red steaks!

Hello,

I don't think that you included pics with your last post. I hope you can get them up soon! :)