Sudden clear film

Hi guys,

My tank got this film on the sides of it (it's a plastic tank) and I'm not sure where it's from. I couldn't get it off when I lowered the water and I'm worried it could harm my goldfish. Here's a couple of photos.

image_zps7bdd6d31.jpg

image_zps746ae440.jpg

You can see my cycling 40 gal in the backround of the last one.

Also I'm leaving for a trip soon and I'll be gone for a couple days. Will my goldfish be okay? He wont be fed during that time, and I want to know if he'll survive it.

Could be algae build up? Does it come off with a clean scourer/algae scrubber?

My suggestion would be. Find a larger food grade plastic tub doesnt need to be clear move your gravel (don't add any extra as it looks pretty thick) move some of the current water across to new tub and slowly add de-chlorinated water which is rhe same temp and ph etc as the tub.

Id say at least double the size of your current tub.

And maybe see about some live plants. This will A) help water cond and B) the fish can eat them while your away.

Ps. I cant see a filter or air stone. Does the tub have one??

If not at the very least get an air pump- air stone and a cheap sponge filter. Better than nothing and gives some water movement and more importantly some oxygenation.

Edited by blackmoors

I think this is the same slime/film that builds up on the sides and bottoms of ponds. It also builds up in aquariums if the glass/plastic/acrylic is not cleaned often.

I did a water change just yesterday. I'm not sure exactly how much water it can hold because I got the tank and goldfish from someone else. I'll be gone for four days, but I'll feed Posen (my fish) the morning i leave and the night I come back. So i guess that's technically just 2 days. I doubt the white film is algae, because I've had this tank for 2 months and that's never happened. I don't have an algae scraper. I have an air pump running. I don't think this is the same stuff that builds up in ponds, because this appeared in just two days.

Thank you everyone who answered :)

It's just a film of bacteria. Bacteria can go from invisible to thick and obvious in less than two days. It's harmless and probably beneficial. Do you have a filter? (I don't see one, that's why I ask.) If not, the film is probably essential.

Posen does not need food while you are gone. Don't feed the day you leave, but do a 100% water change. It is much more important to maintain the water quality than to satisfy Posen's appetite. If you really feel bad about not feeding, go get a big bunch of anacharis from the pet store and put it in the tank. Your fish can feed on that.

It just hit me that your best action would be to empty that 40 gallon you are cycling, take Posen out of his current tank, remove the water from the little tank (but don't wash the tank) and put it inside the 40 gallon (sitting under the filter outflow), then fill the big tank with dechlorinated water, and put Posen in there.

Posen's tank is cycled or he would be dead, so by doing this you are seeding the 40 gallon with enough biobugs to handle the waste produced by this fish. In a couple of weeks, the filter of the big tank will be populated with biobugs, and you can begin removing the components of the little tank. If you do this, you can even feed (lightly) before you go.

:goodpost

A goldfish can survive just fine for a week without food. I have done this to my fish a couple of times this past year and suffered no ill effects, as they stayed at school during my holiday breaks.

Just make sure that you do not overfeed Posen when you get home. He doesn't need extra food to make up for what he missed. If anything, he needs lighter meals (1/4 of his normal intake) when you get home to prevent constipation after fasting for several days. Gradually, over the course of a couple of days, you can increase his food back to normal levels.